Vacuum Gage(Gauge) - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > USENET NewsGroups > alt.trucks.ford
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2005, 18:01   #1 (permalink)
GeoffP
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Vacuum Gage(Gauge)

Hi Guys, I have an '87 Ford E350 with a 460.
Would like to install a vacuum gauge but am
getting conflicting advice on where to tee the line.
I was told...the PCV line?
then, as close to carb as possible?
then, it doesn't matter?
Also does the diameter of the line matter?
Thanks a lot guys,
Geoff.


  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 06-14-2005, 22:01   #2 (permalink)
Tyrone
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Vacuum Gage(Gauge)

Close to the carb. The size of the line is not important as long as you
don't get carried away. At some point, an oversize line may collapse.
Too small a line will dampen the speed of the response at the gauge,
which may be beneficial. A restrictor in the line will give the same
result.

"GeoffP" <Geoff@nospam.com> wrote in message
news:3HKre.6580$yU.384624@news20.bellglobal.com...
> Hi Guys, I have an '87 Ford E350 with a 460.
> Would like to install a vacuum gauge but am
> getting conflicting advice on where to tee the line.
> I was told...the PCV line?
> then, as close to carb as possible?
> then, it doesn't matter?
> Also does the diameter of the line matter?
> Thanks a lot guys,
> Geoff.
>
>



  Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 07:01   #3 (permalink)
GeoffP
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Vacuum Gage(Gauge)


"Tyrone" <Tyrone@innercity.net> wrote in message
news:hmOre.960370$w62.799881@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net...
> Close to the carb. The size of the line is not important as long as you
> don't get carried away. At some point, an oversize line may collapse.
> Too small a line will dampen the speed of the response at the gauge,
> which may be beneficial. A restrictor in the line will give the same
> result.
>
> "GeoffP" <Geoff@nospam.com> wrote in message
> news:3HKre.6580$yU.384624@news20.bellglobal.com...
>> Hi Guys, I have an '87 Ford E350 with a 460.
>> Would like to install a vacuum gauge but am
>> getting conflicting advice on where to tee the line.
>> I was told...the PCV line?
>> then, as close to carb as possible?
>> then, it doesn't matter?
>> Also does the diameter of the line matter?
>> Thanks a lot guys,
>> Geoff.
>>
>>======

Thanks Tyrone for the info. Would on the PVC line but close to carb work?
It's just easier to get at. I was wondering though that as the end of the
line
is open to whatever pressure is in the rocker cover, would that screw up
the reading?
Thanks again,
Geoff
>
>



  Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 07:01   #4 (permalink)
TranSurgeon
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Vacuum Gage(Gauge)


"GeoffP" <Geoff@nospam.com> wrote in message
news:DUVre.6762$yU.459403@news20.bellglobal.com...
>
> >>======

> Thanks Tyrone for the info. Would on the PVC line but close to carb work?


no


> It's just easier to get at. I was wondering though that as the end of the
> line
> is open to whatever pressure is in the rocker cover, would that screw up
> the reading?


yes


> Thanks again,
> Geoff
> >
> >

>
>



  Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 14:01   #5 (permalink)
Steve Barker
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Vacuum Gage(Gauge)

The pcv is a controlled vacuum leak. You won't get a true reading of
manifold vacuum there. Get right on the manifold somewhere.


s


"GeoffP" <Geoff@nospam.com> wrote in message
news:DUVre.6762$yU.459403@news20.bellglobal.com...
>
> "Tyrone" <Tyrone@innercity.net> wrote in message
> news:hmOre.960370$w62.799881@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net...
>> Close to the carb. The size of the line is not important as long as you
>> don't get carried away. At some point, an oversize line may collapse.
>> Too small a line will dampen the speed of the response at the gauge,
>> which may be beneficial. A restrictor in the line will give the same
>> result.
>>
>> "GeoffP" <Geoff@nospam.com> wrote in message
>> news:3HKre.6580$yU.384624@news20.bellglobal.com...
>>> Hi Guys, I have an '87 Ford E350 with a 460.
>>> Would like to install a vacuum gauge but am
>>> getting conflicting advice on where to tee the line.
>>> I was told...the PCV line?
>>> then, as close to carb as possible?
>>> then, it doesn't matter?
>>> Also does the diameter of the line matter?
>>> Thanks a lot guys,
>>> Geoff.
>>>
>>>======

> Thanks Tyrone for the info. Would on the PVC line but close to carb work?
> It's just easier to get at. I was wondering though that as the end of the
> line
> is open to whatever pressure is in the rocker cover, would that screw up
> the reading?
> Thanks again,
> Geoff
>>
>>

>
>



  Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 17:01   #6 (permalink)
GeoffP
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Vacuum Gage(Gauge)


"TranSurgeon" <nobulltrans@mchsi.dotcom> wrote in message
news:DgWre.60593$xm3.5716@attbi_s21...
>
> "GeoffP" <Geoff@nospam.com> wrote in message
> news:DUVre.6762$yU.459403@news20.bellglobal.com...
>>
>> >>======

>> Thanks Tyrone for the info. Would on the PVC line but close to carb work?

>
> no
>
>
>> It's just easier to get at. I was wondering though that as the end of the
>> line
>> is open to whatever pressure is in the rocker cover, would that screw up
>> the reading?

>
> yes
>
>
>> Thanks again,
>> Geoff

---
Thanks to every one who replied, I appreciate it.
Geoff.


  Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 22:01   #7 (permalink)
Joe
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Vacuum Gage(Gauge)

Exactly. This is the correct answer you were looking for. Tee into
something that's on the manifold. Stay away from the carburetor unless you
don't have any choice at all. The a/c controls, if you have them, will be
hooked onto the manifold. Power brakes also. Probably several other lines
that run emissions equipment.

"Steve Barker" <railphotonut@not.hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:mu0se.11443$li.9342@tornado.rdc-kc.rr.com...
> The pcv is a controlled vacuum leak. You won't get a true reading of
> manifold vacuum there. Get right on the manifold somewhere.
>
>
> s
>
>
> "GeoffP" <Geoff@nospam.com> wrote in message
> news:DUVre.6762$yU.459403@news20.bellglobal.com...
>>
>> "Tyrone" <Tyrone@innercity.net> wrote in message
>> news:hmOre.960370$w62.799881@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net...
>>> Close to the carb. The size of the line is not important as long as you
>>> don't get carried away. At some point, an oversize line may collapse.
>>> Too small a line will dampen the speed of the response at the gauge,
>>> which may be beneficial. A restrictor in the line will give the same
>>> result.
>>>
>>> "GeoffP" <Geoff@nospam.com> wrote in message
>>> news:3HKre.6580$yU.384624@news20.bellglobal.com...
>>>> Hi Guys, I have an '87 Ford E350 with a 460.
>>>> Would like to install a vacuum gauge but am
>>>> getting conflicting advice on where to tee the line.
>>>> I was told...the PCV line?
>>>> then, as close to carb as possible?
>>>> then, it doesn't matter?
>>>> Also does the diameter of the line matter?
>>>> Thanks a lot guys,
>>>> Geoff.
>>>>
>>>>======

>> Thanks Tyrone for the info. Would on the PVC line but close to carb work?
>> It's just easier to get at. I was wondering though that as the end of the
>> line
>> is open to whatever pressure is in the rocker cover, would that screw up
>> the reading?
>> Thanks again,
>> Geoff
>>>
>>>

>>
>>

>
>



  Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 20:01   #8 (permalink)
TranSurgeon
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Vacuum Gage(Gauge)

tee into the PB line BEFORE the check valve


"Joe" <Joe@dontspam.net> wrote in message news:BT6se.66$Gp.46@fe04.lga...
> Exactly. This is the correct answer you were looking for. Tee into
> something that's on the manifold. Stay away from the carburetor unless you
> don't have any choice at all. The a/c controls, if you have them, will be
> hooked onto the manifold. Power brakes also. Probably several other lines
> that run emissions equipment.
>
> "Steve Barker" <railphotonut@not.hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:mu0se.11443$li.9342@tornado.rdc-kc.rr.com...
> > The pcv is a controlled vacuum leak. You won't get a true reading of
> > manifold vacuum there. Get right on the manifold somewhere.
> >
> >
> > s
> >
> >
> > "GeoffP" <Geoff@nospam.com> wrote in message
> > news:DUVre.6762$yU.459403@news20.bellglobal.com...
> >>
> >> "Tyrone" <Tyrone@innercity.net> wrote in message
> >> news:hmOre.960370$w62.799881@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net...
> >>> Close to the carb. The size of the line is not important as long as

you
> >>> don't get carried away. At some point, an oversize line may collapse.
> >>> Too small a line will dampen the speed of the response at the gauge,
> >>> which may be beneficial. A restrictor in the line will give the same
> >>> result.
> >>>
> >>> "GeoffP" <Geoff@nospam.com> wrote in message
> >>> news:3HKre.6580$yU.384624@news20.bellglobal.com...
> >>>> Hi Guys, I have an '87 Ford E350 with a 460.
> >>>> Would like to install a vacuum gauge but am
> >>>> getting conflicting advice on where to tee the line.
> >>>> I was told...the PCV line?
> >>>> then, as close to carb as possible?
> >>>> then, it doesn't matter?
> >>>> Also does the diameter of the line matter?
> >>>> Thanks a lot guys,
> >>>> Geoff.
> >>>>
> >>>>======
> >> Thanks Tyrone for the info. Would on the PVC line but close to carb

work?
> >> It's just easier to get at. I was wondering though that as the end of

the
> >> line
> >> is open to whatever pressure is in the rocker cover, would that screw

up
> >> the reading?
> >> Thanks again,
> >> Geoff
> >>>
> >>>
> >>
> >>

> >
> >

>
>



  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > USENET NewsGroups > alt.trucks.ford



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:22.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.