Vacuum Leak? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
¬Ľ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > USENET NewsGroups > alt.trucks.ford
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2005, 00:10   #1 (permalink)
NES
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Vacuum Leak?

I posted this question some time back but lost the replies. Please
forgive the duplicate request.

I have a '93 full-size Bronco. I have a problem with the dash vents.
While accelerating and therefore depleting my vacuum reserve, my A/C
defaults to blowing through the defrost vents. When I decelerate, the
vacuum recovers and my A/C goes back to blowing as it should, through
the dash vents.

Anyone have any advise as to where to look first for the leak. I've
already replaced a small vacuum valve/device under the hood to no
avail.


Thank you
NES
  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 06-14-2005, 00:10   #2 (permalink)
SC Tom
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Vacuum Leak?

Having had the same problem with a couple of older vehicles, I'd check the
vacuum canister first- one of mine had separated where the bracket was
attached. Also check any of the plastic/nylon tee fittings- they have a
tendency to get brittle and crack easily when they get older.
You can also use a spray can of ether (starting fluid) or WD40 and spray
sparingly along the suspected areas while the Bronco is running- your idle
will increase when you hit a leak.
Good luck!
SC Tom

"NES" <NES@USA.NET> wrote in message
news:mv2v91tpctbj949hmn9qvibm8i2en12i8d@4ax.com...
>I posted this question some time back but lost the replies. Please
> forgive the duplicate request.
>
> I have a '93 full-size Bronco. I have a problem with the dash vents.
> While accelerating and therefore depleting my vacuum reserve, my A/C
> defaults to blowing through the defrost vents. When I decelerate, the
> vacuum recovers and my A/C goes back to blowing as it should, through
> the dash vents.
>
> Anyone have any advise as to where to look first for the leak. I've
> already replaced a small vacuum valve/device under the hood to no
> avail.
>
>
> Thank you
> NES



  Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 00:10   #3 (permalink)
JimV
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Vacuum Leak?

NES wrote:
> I posted this question some time back but lost the replies. Please
> forgive the duplicate request.
>
> I have a '93 full-size Bronco. I have a problem with the dash vents.
> While accelerating and therefore depleting my vacuum reserve, my A/C
> defaults to blowing through the defrost vents. When I decelerate, the
> vacuum recovers and my A/C goes back to blowing as it should, through
> the dash vents.
>
> Anyone have any advise as to where to look first for the leak. I've
> already replaced a small vacuum valve/device under the hood to no
> avail.
>
>
> Thank you
> NES


You may not have a leak, but rather a bad one way valve. The valve is
there to keep the low engine vacuum from pulling the vaccuum from the
HVAC system. It's usually a small disk in-line, half white and half
black (but not always that color).

  Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 00:11   #4 (permalink)
NES
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Vacuum Leak?

On Thu, 2 Jun 2005 20:47:16 -0400, "SC Tom" <SC@Tom.com> wrote:

>Having had the same problem with a couple of older vehicles, I'd check the
>vacuum canister first- one of mine had separated where the bracket was
>attached. Also check any of the plastic/nylon tee fittings- they have a
>tendency to get brittle and crack easily when they get older.
>You can also use a spray can of ether (starting fluid) or WD40 and spray
>sparingly along the suspected areas while the Bronco is running- your idle
>will increase when you hit a leak.
>Good luck!
> SC Tom


Thanks for the input. I was hoping it wouldn't come to that. LOL


NES

>
>"NES" <NES@USA.NET> wrote in message
>news:mv2v91tpctbj949hmn9qvibm8i2en12i8d@4ax.com...
>>I posted this question some time back but lost the replies. Please
>> forgive the duplicate request.
>>
>> I have a '93 full-size Bronco. I have a problem with the dash vents.
>> While accelerating and therefore depleting my vacuum reserve, my A/C
>> defaults to blowing through the defrost vents. When I decelerate, the
>> vacuum recovers and my A/C goes back to blowing as it should, through
>> the dash vents.
>>
>> Anyone have any advise as to where to look first for the leak. I've
>> already replaced a small vacuum valve/device under the hood to no
>> avail.
>>
>>
>> Thank you
>> NES

>


  Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 00:11   #5 (permalink)
NES
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Vacuum Leak?

On Thu, 02 Jun 2005 21:34:43 -0400, JimV <jv9999@yahoo.com> wrote:

>NES wrote:
>> I posted this question some time back but lost the replies. Please
>> forgive the duplicate request.
>>
>> I have a '93 full-size Bronco. I have a problem with the dash vents.
>> While accelerating and therefore depleting my vacuum reserve, my A/C
>> defaults to blowing through the defrost vents. When I decelerate, the
>> vacuum recovers and my A/C goes back to blowing as it should, through
>> the dash vents.
>>
>> Anyone have any advise as to where to look first for the leak. I've
>> already replaced a small vacuum valve/device under the hood to no
>> avail.
>>
>>
>> Thank you
>> NES

>
>You may not have a leak, but rather a bad one way valve. The valve is
>there to keep the low engine vacuum from pulling the vaccuum from the
>HVAC system. It's usually a small disk in-line, half white and half
>black (but not always that color).


I've already replaced that device. But, thanks for the input.

NES
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 00:11   #6 (permalink)
CJB
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Vacuum Leak?

I'm not sure this will apply to you, but...

Have you checked the selector switch itself? If it's like I think it is,
it'll be a vacuum switch that directs the vacuum to different vacuum motors.
The switch is actually a valve I guess. It rotates as you push the selector
across.

The reason I mention this is that I had the vacuum switch fail in a fan of
mine a few years ago. IIRC, it's actually two plates of plastic that rotate
against each other with a seal between. What happened to mine is that one
of the plates cracked and the two plates separated slightly, releasing the
vacuum pressure. When I went to the boneyard, I noticed that many of these
had been removed already or that they were broken in the same place as mine.
I ended up getting one from the dealer.

I know there are other vacuum leaks that are more likely the source of the
problem, but don't overlook this possibility if you've ruled out others.

CJB



"NES" <NES@USA.NET> wrote in message
news:mv2v91tpctbj949hmn9qvibm8i2en12i8d@4ax.com...
>I posted this question some time back but lost the replies. Please
> forgive the duplicate request.
>
> I have a '93 full-size Bronco. I have a problem with the dash vents.
> While accelerating and therefore depleting my vacuum reserve, my A/C
> defaults to blowing through the defrost vents. When I decelerate, the
> vacuum recovers and my A/C goes back to blowing as it should, through
> the dash vents.
>
> Anyone have any advise as to where to look first for the leak. I've
> already replaced a small vacuum valve/device under the hood to no
> avail.
>
>
> Thank you
> NES



  Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 00:11   #7 (permalink)
SnoMan
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Vacuum Leak?

"NES" wrote:
> I posted this question some time back but lost the replies.
> Please
> forgive the duplicate request.
>
> I have a '93 full-size Bronco. I have a problem with the dash
> vents.
> While accelerating and therefore depleting my vacuum reserve,
> my A/C
> defaults to blowing through the defrost vents. When I
> decelerate, the
> vacuum recovers and my A/C goes back to blowing as it should,
> through
> the dash vents.
>
> Anyone have any advise as to where to look first for the leak.
> I've
> already replaced a small vacuum valve/device under the hood to
> no
> avail.
>
>
> Thank you
> NES


My guess is to check the line from engine that supplies vacum to
controls as I suspect it has a small leak in it that is okay when
vacum is high but not okay when vacum is lower because the dash pots
only need 3 to 5 inís of mecury of vacum to work so a leak that takes
it down some from the normal 10 to 15 inchs of vacum in intake when
cruising but above the threshold level of dash pots is okay until you
step on the gas and the source vacum is lower and the leak can no
longer be tolerated and provide enough vacum to move dash pots. Did I
lose you here?

--
Posted using the http://www.autoforumz.com interface, at author's request
Articles individually checked for conformance to usenet standards
Topic URL: http://www.autoforumz.com/Ford-Vacuu...ict122856.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.autoforumz.com/eform.php?p=597543
  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > USENET NewsGroups > alt.trucks.ford



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 14:41.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.