1996 Ford Contour with numerous codes - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Contour | Ford Mondeo | Mercury Mystique | Ford Telstar
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Contour | Ford Mondeo | Mercury Mystique | Ford Telstar Forum for discussion of the Ford Contour, Ford Mondeo, Mercury Mystique and Ford Telstar

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2011, 11:00   #1 (permalink)

1996 Ford Contour with numerous codes

Engine is running terrible and MPG are in the toilet. I have 10 codes in my computer most relating to O2 Sensor issues. The engine doesn't stall but has a misfire and shakes real bad. Computer is reporting cylinder 2 is misfiring. I replaced all the plugs and wires but that didn't solve the misfire. All the plugs I removed looked normal except for #2 which had the misfire. The codes that are in my computer are P0402, P1130, P1131, P0135, P0136, P0302, P0171, P0174, and P0161. There are so many codes I can't believe I have a bad coil, O2 Sensors, EGR valve and MAF. Any ideas? Maybe it's something as simple as the fuel filter?
bucktaylor100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2011, 11:02   #2 (permalink)

Re: 1996 Ford Contour with numerous codes

Forgot to mention I have the 2.5L V6 Engine.
Old 01-15-2011, 11:13   #3 (permalink)

One more thing when driving the car there is an on/off strong smell of gas. I've looked everywhere and don't see any fluids leaking at all. The smell is there probably 90% of the time and it's making me sick.
Old 01-15-2011, 11:21   #4 (permalink)
Always the student

Why can't you believe you could have a bad coil pack? You can check for spark at all cylinders easy enough to be sure. Have you checked for gas in your crankcase? You could have a bad fuel pressure regulator. The injectors can be checked with a noid light to see if they are firing. Check for a leaking injector, that could be the source of the strong gas smell. It doesn't take much of a leak to produce a strong smell of fuel.
thefonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 13:31   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefonz View Post
Why can't you believe you could have a bad coil pack? You can check for spark at all cylinders easy enough to be sure. Have you checked for gas in your crankcase? You could have a bad fuel pressure regulator. The injectors can be checked with a noid light to see if they are firing. Check for a leaking injector, that could be the source of the strong gas smell. It doesn't take much of a leak to produce a strong smell of fuel.
Hello and good day:

I agree withe the Fonz! You need to check that Coil Pack.
Old 01-15-2011, 13:35   #6 (permalink)

What I meant was I can believe I have a bad coil but I have multiple codes all pointing to different things. I can believe one thing is bad but not all of them. One code points to O2 Sensors, another EGR or MAF and another coil.
Old 01-15-2011, 15:52   #7 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

I'd write the codes down, clean the MAF with MAF c;eaner and see what codes come up. Sometimes one item will trigger multiple codes eventually.
Old 01-15-2011, 16:57   #8 (permalink)

Please get back to us with the Codes...Thanks
Old 01-15-2011, 17:07   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sterling_Six View Post
Please get back to us with the Codes...Thanks
Diagnosing DPFE Sensor (P0401 and P0402) with Scan Tool
Fords have an issue with their (Differential Pressure Feedback Exhaust Gas Recirculation [EGR]) DPFE Sensors. The DPFE sensor regulates how much exhaust runs back into the system for emissions reasoning.

Now, this is what it looks like:

Ford tried to fix the issue with a plastic DPFE:

They last just as long as the metal ones. The voltage for the sensor (which can be found under Live Data or Data Stream in a scan tool) should be around .55-1 volt at idle. Anything higher and it should be replaced.

If you can graph out engine vaccum and the voltages you're likely to see, it would look similar to this graph:

courtesy of rockledge

The most frequent codes with a DPFE sensor issue is a P0401 and/or a P0402. These mean following:

P0401 Exhaust Gas Recirculation Flow Insufficient Detected
P0402 Exhaust Gas Recirculation Flow Excessive Detected

Now with the scan tool (I used a NGS on my last DPFE situation on a '01 Ranger 3.0L) you can verify your voltage at idle. The voltage I had was a little over 2 volts at idle. And I had the two above codes in the system - with only the 402 code coming on with KOER, but the P0401 was in continous/current codes.

If you unplug the sensor and the voltage reads 5.0 volts - then this means that your circuitry is good and that a sensor is needed.

Hopefully that helps some people.

Please go to this link also: http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/ad...t_monitors.pdf

Ford P0171 & P0174 Lean Codes

P0161 OBD-II Trouble Code

Technical Description

Oxygen O2 Sensor Circuit Low Voltage (Bank 2, Sensor 2)
What does that mean?

It basically means the PCM detected either an excessive current draw, or an open or short in the circuit powering the oxygen sensor's heater circuit. This is in reference to the Heated Oxygen Sensor (2) located rear of catalytic converter (Bank 2).
Symptoms

There will likely be no obvious symptoms other than MIL illumination.
Causes

A code P0161 may mean that one or more of the following has happened:
  • <LI itxtvisited="1">HO2S heater power circuit open <LI itxtvisited="1">HO2S heater ground circuit open <LI itxtvisited="1">HO2S signal tracking (due to oil or moisture in the connector)
  • HO2S is damaged or has failed PCM has failed
Possible Solutions
  • <LI itxtvisited="1">Replace HO2 Sensor <LI itxtvisited="1">Repair open or short in power circuit <LI itxtvisited="1">Repair open or short in ground circuit
  • Repair damaged connector due to tracking
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Contour | Ford Mondeo | Mercury Mystique | Ford Telstar