1998 Mercury Mystique Transmission Problem - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Contour | Ford Mondeo | Mercury Mystique | Ford Telstar
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Contour | Ford Mondeo | Mercury Mystique | Ford Telstar Forum for discussion of the Ford Contour, Ford Mondeo, Mercury Mystique and Ford Telstar

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2009, 12:06   #1 (permalink)

1998 Mercury Mystique Transmission Problem

Hey, I have a 1998 Mercury Mystique and about 4 months ago something happened with the way it switches gears. Now instead of switching at 3k rpms like before, it won't really switch until I let go and press the gas pedal again. Sometimes I have to hit the gas pedal and let go of it more than once for the gear to switch. So if I would just press on gas pedal and don't let go it will redline. Also sometimes it revs up without even the car going fast. And finally it will not switch to the last gear at all. When I am on the highway and going 70mph, it is at 4k rpm but should be at 2.5k. So with all of this I am getting just 14mpg in the city in a 4 cylinder car

So here is my question, could this be just because of some kind of sensor? Is there a way to adjust the transmission on a Mercury Mystique without actually changing it?

Thank you
thedark_master is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2009, 12:49   #2 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Re: 1998 Mercury Mystique Transmission Problem

Welcome to the forums.If you take it to Autozone, they will check to see if there are any codes for free. That should help if they find any. Has the transmission been serviced? How does the fluid look, nice and red?
Old 11-26-2009, 12:53   #3 (permalink)

nope it hasn't been serviced at all. Here is how it happened. I let my mom drive the car for a day because her was getting fixed. The next day when I got in it, it all started. Before that there wasn't anything wrong it. Im sure that it was just a coincidence that it happen to mess up when my mom had it. But anyways my dad know about cars but he is not that familiar with mystiques/contours and there is nothing in the manuals at all saying if there is some way to adjust the transmission.
Old 11-26-2009, 13:05   #4 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

The new cars are electronicly controlled. If something is amiss, they usually set a code. Other things that can make them shift wrong with the engine controls. When you go to Autozone, get a can of MAF cleaner and clean it. It helps the car run better and could have an effect on the shifting.
Old 11-26-2009, 13:09   #5 (permalink)

ok and you sure that it is free to do that?
Old 11-26-2009, 14:32   #6 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

I'm sure.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Contour | Ford Mondeo | Mercury Mystique | Ford Telstar