95 Contour - Can't fill up with gas - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Contour | Ford Mondeo | Mercury Mystique | Ford Telstar
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Contour | Ford Mondeo | Mercury Mystique | Ford Telstar Forum for discussion of the Ford Contour, Ford Mondeo, Mercury Mystique and Ford Telstar

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2006, 19:19   #1 (permalink)

95 Contour - Can't fill up with gas

Tried to fill my gas tank, couldn't. Pump kept shutting off as though I was already full. Tank was at about 3/8 full, so should have taken about 10 gallons. Could only put in about 6.3 gal before the pump kept shutting off as though I was topping off a full tank. Afterwards the tank guage only showed 3/4 full.

Never had this occur before with any car. Anyone have any ideas what is going on with my gas tank?

Seems like I'm beginning to experience a string of strange problems with my contour that I never saw before with any car. I'm beginning to wonder about the reliability of the car.
richie65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2006, 11:14   #2 (permalink)

Re: 95 Contour - Can't fill up with gas

Get some fuel in a can to take with you, run it out completely (ie until it cuts out) then see how much fuel it takes to fill up- may be a faulty sender or gauge.
Fordtech. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 17:50   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordtech.
Get some fuel in a can to take with you, run it out completely (ie until it cuts out) then see how much fuel it takes to fill up- may be a faulty sender or gauge.
Thanks. Never would have thought of this test myself. Think it's kinda risky, don't you?

Some of the post that I've seen suggest that there is something that they refer to as a "flapper valve" that can cause the symptom of shutting off the gas pump hose before the gas tank is full. Have you ever heard of this? I certainly never have. If such a "flapper valve" has been incorporated in the gas tank somehow, why would it be needed? Sounds kinda stupid to me, because it would be just another thing that can fail and cause trouble.

I'm beginning to understand why some people have such a negative feeling about Ford products.
Old 12-30-2006, 16:53   #4 (permalink)

Well, I've never heard of an accident being caused by someone running out of fuel, they normally give an indication beforehand! The flap will be a kind of roll-over valve to stop fuel spilling in the event of a crash. If that was faulty, I'd have thought you wouldn't get any fuel in at all.
Fordtech. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 01:34   #5 (permalink)

My '98 Contour is very s-l-o-w to fill up as well, popping off several times before it is full. It eventually does get full.
Wushock92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 18:07   #6 (permalink)

confused Re: 95 Contour - Can't fill up with gas

Gee! I only had my 98 Contour about two months and that jsut happened
to me the other day. I was about half and I knew the tank wasn't full.
I'm glad the station didn't have a waiting line like they do before gas prices jump up. I jsut stayed there and kept clicking it off and on. It finally started filling up.
I haven't filled up again yet. I hope it fills ok now.
HoosierDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 11:01   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordtech.
Well, I've never heard of an accident being caused by someone running out of fuel, they normally give an indication beforehand! The flap will be a kind of roll-over valve to stop fuel spilling in the event of a crash. If that was faulty, I'd have thought you wouldn't get any fuel in at all.
Now that you mention it, neither have I. But what I was suggesting as risky was to run out of gas miles from anywhere where you are unfamiliar the the area.
Old 10-21-2007, 17:42   #8 (permalink)

My father just bought me a 1995 Contour GL the other day and it was on empty... I went to fill it up and after about three gallons it started shutting off... My father told me to pull the pump out of the tank like half an inch because he has the same problem with his 1996 Sable sometimes... Well, after doing that I filled up the rest no problem...
Old 11-14-2007, 08:13   #9 (permalink)

I could very well be your vapour management valve in your evap system. When filling the tank the air is routed through you carbon canisters through the vapour management valve to atmosphere. There is a screened in the valve to prevent contaminents from entering the canisters. This gets dirty and it takes forever to fill your tank. Try locating and cleaning the tank vent screen. Hope this helps.
beaudointl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 19:56   #10 (permalink)

I have the same issue on my '98 Mystique 2.0 L l4. It is my biggest gripe about the car. This is my first car and is very annoying having it cut out every 2 seconds when refueling, if anyone has anyadvice I would greatly appreciate it.
FireHazard17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Contour | Ford Mondeo | Mercury Mystique | Ford Telstar