96 contour - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Contour | Ford Mondeo | Mercury Mystique | Ford Telstar
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Contour | Ford Mondeo | Mercury Mystique | Ford Telstar Forum for discussion of the Ford Contour, Ford Mondeo, Mercury Mystique and Ford Telstar

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2004, 16:59   #1 (permalink)

confused 96 contour

Hi My aunt has a 96 contour that idles rough occasionally to the point that it will die sometimes. The problem seems to happen more in the winter months when it is cold. The shop told her it was the egr valve becasue there was a code triggered for the egr system. We replaces the egr valve with a new one and reset the codes. But the problem still occurs. This is the 6 cylinder engine that came in the 96 contour. Any ideas? Are there any common problems that occur on this year/make/model?
Thanks,
Jeff
wireman19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2004, 01:19   #2 (permalink)

Re: 96 contour

My Mondeo V6 had a slight idle problem, it was fixed by replacement of a vaccum pipe running almost from side to side in the engine compartement behind the engine.

I would suggest that you idle the engine and try to twist vaccum pipes - that's easy to do and to replace.

Best regards,
Niels Kristian Jensen
Denmark
NKJensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005, 03:58   #3 (permalink)

frown Re: 96 contour

Hello! I have a 96 contour as well, and it is doing the same thing. I was told it was the timing, the pulleys and a few other things. If you happen to find out what it is please let me know. I love my car, but if I cant get it fixed without paying an arm and a leg I might as well trade it. :O(
mamahill2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 23:31   #4 (permalink)

Lightbulb Re: 96 contour

i have not had very good luck with my '96 contour. a while back i replace new brakes, new timing belt and parts. now again new brakes,rotors, the whole 9 yards. also my cooling fan went out, my heater button went out,which was a recall on that. had that fixed. put sensors and relays in. my air conditioning went out, causing my car to start on fire! fixed that all in 2 weeks. picked up the car, drove for 5 minutes, the heater went out again!! drove home with no heat!! the dash lights don't work since they worked on my car, the radio is screwd up, and all in one day..... want to buy a car???? spent 400.00 in 2 weeks, with no resutlts...sue .l
sooboru2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 23:34   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamahill2
Hello! I have a 96 contour as well, and it is doing the same thing. I was told it was the timing, the pulleys and a few other things. If you happen to find out what it is please let me know. I love my car, but if I cant get it fixed without paying an arm and a leg I might as well trade it. :O(
hi, get rid of it while you can, i spent 400.00 in the last 2 weeks and it still is'nt fixed! nothing but trouble. that was the first thing that went on my car..read on..i have a message below about mine. s.l
sooboru2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2005, 10:12   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sooboru2000
hi, get rid of it while you can, i spent 400.00 in the last 2 weeks and it still is'nt fixed! nothing but trouble. that was the first thing that went on my car..read on..i have a message below about mine. s.l
LOL, that is what my husband said. I smells like oil too, sometimes gas. The sad thing is the body is in great condition. But I dont want to risk anything happing with me having small children.
Thanks for reply.
Old 12-15-2005, 01:57   #7 (permalink)
I BLEED FORD BLUE!!!

Check The Oxygen Sensor!!
Glenn Pieck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 10:46   #8 (permalink)

I think he has but I will ask. My dad just told me it may be the idle sensor as well, but hubby checked that.
Old 12-25-2005, 09:06   #9 (permalink)
'09 Fusion, '05 Lincoln A

Check underhood wiring harness. If the wires (small ones at that) have lost insulation or have insulation that is extremely brittle there are various problems. Ford is replacing "free" any vehicle's underhood wiring harness on vehicles with less than 100K miles because of failures. Otherwise, cost of the parts alone is over $500, and if Ford labors at it the job will cost almost two grand (USD).
Old 08-25-2008, 19:49   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kblast523 View Post
Check underhood wiring harness. If the wires (small ones at that) have lost insulation or have insulation that is extremely brittle there are various problems. Ford is replacing "free" any vehicle's underhood wiring harness on vehicles with less than 100K miles because of failures. Otherwise, cost of the parts alone is over $500, and if Ford labors at it the job will cost almost two grand (USD).
I have 96 Contour V6. Never got the recall letter. I missed that 10/100 ext warr. When it rains or its damp this car is going nowhere.
Maser11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Contour | Ford Mondeo | Mercury Mystique | Ford Telstar