96 Contour no cooling fan unless A/C on HELP!!1 - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Contour | Ford Mondeo | Mercury Mystique | Ford Telstar
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Contour | Ford Mondeo | Mercury Mystique | Ford Telstar Forum for discussion of the Ford Contour, Ford Mondeo, Mercury Mystique and Ford Telstar

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2004, 16:55   #1 (permalink)

96 Contour no cooling fan unless A/C on HELP!!1

Help Needed. 1996 Contour GL 2.0 liter (Not Z). Cooling fan does not come on when engine gets hot but works ok when A/C is on. Any help

ed724
ed724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2004, 21:52   #2 (permalink)
Mondeo Obsessed

Re: 96 Contour no cooling fan unless A/C on HELP!!1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed724
Help Needed. 1996 Contour GL 2.0 liter (Not Z). Cooling fan does not come on when engine gets hot but works ok when A/C is on. Any help

ed724
I think you'll find the thermostat is a goner.

The fan is set to come on automatically when a/c is turned on to improve cooling. It comes on/off as required at other times (eg warming up / hot weather). It's designed so that the coolant is kept at a constant temp and the fan blows only when needed.

I'd check the thermostat first. How you go about doing that other than taking it to a mechanic, i dont know. But it should be simple enough for any half-competent mechanic or dealer.

Just my $0.02. Hope it's in some way helpful.
Old 08-17-2004, 20:30   #3 (permalink)

Re: 96 Contour no cooling fan unless A/C on HELP!!1

I found out the fan is running except that it's coming on alot later than it used to. It used to come on about the A of normal and cut off at M. Now it's coming on at L and cutting off at A. I had the water pump and thermostat replaced at 84k. The car has 94k on it now. I just replaced the temp switch a couple of days ago as well.
ed724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Contour | Ford Mondeo | Mercury Mystique | Ford Telstar