'97 Contour radiator - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Contour | Ford Mondeo | Mercury Mystique | Ford Telstar
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Contour | Ford Mondeo | Mercury Mystique | Ford Telstar Forum for discussion of the Ford Contour, Ford Mondeo, Mercury Mystique and Ford Telstar

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2003, 19:23   #1 (permalink)
ironhat

'97 Contour radiator

Wow, glad I found this forum, although most of you guys/ gals are way ahead of my expertise level so I don't feel very useful. Anyway, my daughter's Countour needs a coolant change out. I've never seen coolant look this bad! It's only barely green and mostly brown. But, where the heck is the petcock to drain this thing? There isn't much room down there and I just can't seem to find it. With a general idea I should be able to get this together. By the way, do you guys backflush? I'm afraid to because of the look of the present coolant. What if I dislodge some gunk and it plugs the heater core? Hey, thanks in advance for any help offered,
Later,
Chiz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2003, 21:08   #2 (permalink)
***** Idiot....

Re: '97 Contour radiator

The drain plug is in a right PITA place, at the bottom of the radiator, but you will have to remove the undertray under the bumper to get at it. Then reach around and through the lower arm to get to it with a screwdriver.

When you undo it, it will go all over the place and not in the container you put under it. This is because it runs off the subframe etc.

Since it is a 97 the coolant tank filler cap is probably overdue for replacement. If the pressure release valve inside it malfunctions, you can get all sorts of mysterious coolant system problems.

Flushing: I would run the garden hose through the various pipes to give it a quick flush. Refill the system with clean water,give it a run,then drain,refill with coolant & you should be good to go.
LunaticSVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2003, 20:05   #3 (permalink)

Re: '97 Contour radiator

if you have it apart, its not a bad idea to change out the thermostat too. there only a couple bucks

-98 Contour
-68 Cougar
"If you stand for nothing you will fall for anything"
mycainsbroken is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Contour | Ford Mondeo | Mercury Mystique | Ford Telstar