Ford Forums banner

98 Ford Contour Problem.

4K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  kblast523 
#1 ·
Hello. Im having problems with my Contour i was wondering if i could get some suggestions. Ok so i was driving and my check engine light came on. Not even 30 seconds later my car seemed to power down and the power steering went. Then as i was turning off the main road because it powered down my oil light came on. I got out checked my oil and nothing was there. So i got some oil through it in and it started up with no problem. Oil light went off. Check engine was still on. I drove her home.

The next day started her up drove the same amount of distance and she did the same thing. Powered down. Almost like a battery failure or something. Oil light came on again. Checked the oil, nothing was there yet again. Ended up getting her towed to a local brake shop so they could give it a quick look and hoist it up. Got back to me and said i have a hole in the oil pan and maybe my engine froze up. I live in Michigan by the way and the temps were around -5 F when this happened. When i try to turn the car over now all that happens is the lights on the dash flicker. Any suggestions? I really want to avoid taking it the dealer route cuz it will cost me an arm and a leg.

Thanks in advance. If you need more info let me know.

- Mike

metalmikey@wowway.com

See less See more
#2 ·
You didn't say whether its a 2.5 or a 2.0...
I own a 2.0, sounds like you toasted it, though, no matter what it is. No engine runs very long or well without lubrication. Important thing here is if you want to keep the car, you will most likely need a new engine. You may not have trashed it totally, or maybe you did. If all you get is dimmed dash lights, she froze up (and that is not refering to the temps) and its a gonner for good. If you do manage to "turn it over", it probably will sound like you dropped about 6 quarters in a garbage disposal...good luck.
Engine size, miles and type of oil you have been running and frequency of change will be indicators of whether it survived or not...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.