99 contour timeing issue - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Contour | Ford Mondeo | Mercury Mystique | Ford Telstar
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Contour | Ford Mondeo | Mercury Mystique | Ford Telstar Forum for discussion of the Ford Contour, Ford Mondeo, Mercury Mystique and Ford Telstar

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2007, 18:26   #1 (permalink)

99 contour timeing issue

Yes i have a 99 contuor and ill be damed if we dont get the timeing set then for some odd reason it gose back out of time

is there something besides a timeing belt that could cause it to jump time cause the belt is very tight and we put a new tenssinor on it and the belt it self looks likes its in great shape so we are baffeld to why it wont stay timed
l3igl3ang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2007, 05:14   #2 (permalink)
fordmech

Re: 99 contour timeing issue

Hi again
Changed the water pump already huh? Johnny posted a very detailed description here 99 zx2 2.0 DOHC threw timing belt while driving need help timing both camsshafts toge as to how to do a timing belt in your engine, including special tools needed. Check it out first and if you still have dramas tell us what's going on. cheers
marc
backlash1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 08:11   #3 (permalink)

yeah got the water pump changed no more leaks :) but the timeing keeps jumping how i dont know begin the timeing belt is in good shape and is tight

we do not have the plate for the cams to align them but my firend can make one at his metal shop but as for the peg do u really need this? this is to find out which pistion is dead top? we have done this buy putting a long screwdriver in the #1 sprak plug hole and turn motor till it reaches the top and we been useing wrenchs in the cams to align them which is not 100% perfect so we will sure make a plate for the cams and try again.
l3igl3ang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 20:11   #4 (permalink)
Always the student

Quote:
Originally Posted by l3igl3ang
yeah got the water pump changed no more leaks :) but the timeing keeps jumping how i dont know begin the timeing belt is in good shape and is tight

we do not have the plate for the cams to align them but my firend can make one at his metal shop but as for the peg do u really need this? this is to find out which pistion is dead top? we have done this buy putting a long screwdriver in the #1 sprak plug hole and turn motor till it reaches the top and we been useing wrenchs in the cams to align them which is not 100% perfect so we will sure make a plate for the cams and try again.

Don't forget to make sure it is on compression stroke.
thefonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 03:10   #5 (permalink)
fordmech

I was gonna say...but Fonz took the words out of my mouth.
You can have piston 1 on Top Dead Centre, but the plate will only slide in if it's on the compression stroke. The cut-out at the back of the camshafts is off-centre, and when piston 1 is on TDC compression they'll sit above the edge of the cylinder head, which is why you can slide the plate in. You can also look at the cams and tell by which way they're pointing if it's in compression or not.
I also wanted to point out that the cam gears where the belt goes are NOT keyed to the camshafts. This means that if you loosen the Torx bolts (T55 frm memory) that hold them in place, they can go back in on an infinite number of positions, that's why you need the plate at the back and the peg. This peg not only helps you find piston 1 TDC but will also prevent the crankshaft from turning, which makes the whole job a lot easier. Having said that, it's perfectly possible to do a timing belt change without using any of these tools. We do it all the time. cheers
marc
backlash1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Contour | Ford Mondeo | Mercury Mystique | Ford Telstar