Contour Wiper System - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Contour | Ford Mondeo | Mercury Mystique | Ford Telstar
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Contour | Ford Mondeo | Mercury Mystique | Ford Telstar Forum for discussion of the Ford Contour, Ford Mondeo, Mercury Mystique and Ford Telstar

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2009, 05:50   #1 (permalink)

confused Contour Wiper System

Hello All,

I am stuck here scratching my head and don't know what to do.

Problem - The circuit breaker for the wiper system keeps on popping.

What I have done:
I replaced the wiper switch, worked initially a few hours later the circuit kept on popping again.

Took back the wiper switch, purchased a motor and that didn't solve the problem.

Kept the motor, and then purchased a timer control module. That worked initially and then a few hours later it started popping the circuit.

Keep in mind that every time it worked initially I have disconnected the negative cable to do work on the system.

I have swapped two relay in the system and that didn't fix the problem at all.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Tim D
SlicedDrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2009, 08:13   #2 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Re: Contour Wiper System

What year is it?
Bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 08:20   #3 (permalink)

It is 1999
Old 10-06-2009, 09:09   #4 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

If it's blowing fuse #20, there must be a short in a wire to the switch or motors. If it's been in a wreck, check the wiring in that area. If not, a wire in the system is probably rubbing to ground at times. The wire color to the switch is green/orange, the wire to the rear wiper motor is green/blue and the wire to the front wiper is green/red. Those wires are hot all the time with the ignition on. If it only does it with the wipers on, their are other wires involved.
Old 10-06-2009, 12:02   #5 (permalink)

So I am looking for exposed wires of some kind?
Old 10-06-2009, 12:51   #6 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

It might not be exposed. It could be somewhere that it rubbed through the insulation. If you look at the wiring harness and see if it has any wires close to a metal piece that could have rubbed through. Those are tough to find.
Old 10-07-2009, 05:02   #7 (permalink)

Okay, so I just took a close look yesterday and I didn't see anything really, but I will look further tonight.

There is one thing I would like to add. Last night the wipers were working fine, and I thought oh yeah, maybe the short fixed itself. So this morning I get into the rid and yet again is shorts out. I noticed it started shorting out when I turned on a dome light. Then I also noticed that the warning chimes and light didn't turn on when I opened the door and had the keys in the ignition or my head lights on.

I don't know if that brings any suggestions or not. Also I did change the timer control module on Monday and the new one is in there still.

But I will keep looking for those wires. I may take out the fuse board and see if that is fired or not, unless that isn't a good idea.

Thank you everyone for your help and suggestions. I am really scratching my head here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Contour | Ford Mondeo | Mercury Mystique | Ford Telstar