Excessive Squeeling - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Contour | Ford Mondeo | Mercury Mystique | Ford Telstar
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Ford Contour | Ford Mondeo | Mercury Mystique | Ford Telstar Forum for discussion of the Ford Contour, Ford Mondeo, Mercury Mystique and Ford Telstar

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2005, 06:01   #1 (permalink)

Excessive Squeeling

Hi

Hopefully someone may be able to help me.

I bought a Ford Mondeo LX (2002) in September 2004. I love the car but recently it has started to make a very noisy squeeling sound on certain road surfaces. This is extremely loud (above the radio sound and people on the pavement look at the car). I have driven these roads for the past year and have never even heard a squeel before

It may do this for five, ten or fifteen minutes but then stop for an hour.

There appears to be no regular pattern - it happens during day and night, some roads are straight and others windy, hence no obvious correlation to steering or brakes.

Brake pads appear okay on both front and back according to garage.

I am at a loss and the Ford Garage suggests changing various parts to see if it solves the problem. This would be very expensive.

If you have any suggestions or even encountered such a problem before then any help would be very much appreciated.

Thank you!
Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2006, 11:53   #2 (permalink)
Unregistered

Re: Excessive Squeeling

I have a similar problem but I reckon its the brakes. After about 20 mins of driving I get a very loud. almost whistling noise but it dissapears when I apply the brakes. I am no mechanic but I get the feeling something is expanding when warm and rubbing.

Brake pads appear okay on both front and back according to garage.

I am at a loss and the Ford Garage suggests changing various parts to see if it solves the problem. This would be very expensive.

If you have any suggestions or even encountered such a problem before then any help would be very much appreciated.

Thank you![/QUOTE]
Old 02-10-2006, 04:35   #3 (permalink)

hmm, first make sure the squeeling isnt actually coming from the engine, if it is it could well be the belt thats on its way out, though usually this is noticable when you start then engine when its cold, on a cold day.

If the noise definately isnt from the engine theres a few things i wonder if it could be:

Have a look at all the wheel arches, inside is a plastic lining that goes around the wheel, check that the wheel arch liners are not loose anywhere, if loose they could blow in towards the tyre and rub on it, possibly making a squeeling sound, have a look under the car too and check there's nothing thats obviously loose or fouling up with any moving parts

if that checks out id make sure its not only when you brake as that would indicate pad wear (it can be only occasional at first but will get progressively more persistant as the pads wear out), if the sound is like the squeeling you get when pads are worn - high pitched metal against metal sound it sounds to me like something has been knocked and is misaligned / loose, perhaps note, even if your pads are not worn they can become contaminated especially if the master cyliner in the drum brakes (on the rear on mondeo's) is old and leaky. its easy to open up the brake drum and check this, a haynes manual will explain how this is done.

also, are your brake drums excessively rusty, that can lead to squeeling.

if the noise is when you are just driving along and not necessarily braking, id look at the bushings, they may be worn out and need replacing. or i wonder if its something like the drive shaft, are all the rubber seals over the linkages ok? - if they are worn the grease may have gone from the linkage meaning its dry and would squeel.

hope this helps
mondeo man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 05:14   #4 (permalink)

try checking your belt pullys and timing belt pullys the bearings might be siezeing up. or at least that was what happened to me.
littledm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 15:36   #5 (permalink)

Sounds a lot like the handbrake cables are sticking and in turn causing the rear pads to stay on, seen lots of this occurring on New Mondeo.
Fordtech. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Contour | Ford Mondeo | Mercury Mystique | Ford Telstar