Ford Forums banner

Jump start issues

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Bert 
#1 ·
I have a 99 Mercury Mystique. It's my wife's car. She forgot the headlights on and killed the battery. She found this the next day when she had to go to work. We did a quick jump start and away she went. However now the rear defroster doesn't work and the AC pump doesn't work. The fuses are good. I'm not sure what to check next or if there are fuseable links somewhere. We were thinking of disconnecting the battery for a period of time to see if this "resets" something. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks much.

#4 ·
If the battery truly ran all the way down you already know what disconnecting it will do, the same thing.

If a jump only and nothing else done, likely the battery is still barely charged, Ford claims it can take 8 solid hours charging with the alt only to get it it back where it needs to be, and that is if the battery did not damage from the total rundown, some do to go bad.

FULLY charge and then loadtest the battery. Both the defroster grid and a/c clutch use whopping amounts of power; they both may not have quite enough to work right.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.