Mondeo judders, lots of smoke from exhaust and cuts out - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Contour | Ford Mondeo | Mercury Mystique | Ford Telstar
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Contour | Ford Mondeo | Mercury Mystique | Ford Telstar Forum for discussion of the Ford Contour, Ford Mondeo, Mercury Mystique and Ford Telstar

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2007, 08:11   #1 (permalink)

confused Mondeo judders, lots of smoke from exhaust and cuts out

Hello everyone,
I have a 02 reg Mondeo 2.0 TDDi with 120 000miles on the clock. My car has developed a problem, you can only drive it maybe a mile or sometimes 5 miles before it starts to judder and you can feel the car losing power, a lot of smoke comes out of the exhaust and then the car cuts out. It will not start after that, but if you leave the car alone without trying to start it for 30 minutes it will start again but wont last for more than a mile without cutting out again. The longer you leave the car without driving it the further it will go before breaking down.

I took that car to Ford for a diagnostic (cost £82.00) they said the fault code pointed to a fuel related problem and that it could be one of a number of things, the relays, the fuel pump in the fuel tank or the injector pump. I have changed the relays but the problem has still not gone away.

Yesterday my car broke down again, I got the AA to have a look at it and he mentioned that it could be the camshaft sensor. I am not sure what it could be and don't want to pay to have parts replaced which are working and don't need replacing, only to find out that i've paid hundreds of pounds and the problem is still not fixed.

Could anyone please help me with this, are there any other Mondeo drivers who have or have had similar problems and what did you do to solve this. Any help will be appreciated as I am lost as what to do.

P.s I have had a look at similar posts on the internet these relate to camshaft sensors that need replacing but they mention that their glow plug light on the dashboard lights up, mine does not light up when the car judders and cuts out.

Many Thanks
Amjad.
amjad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2007, 13:13   #2 (permalink)

Re: Mondeo judders, lots of smoke from exhaust and cuts out

The lift pump at the fuel tank has been known to cause problems on these older models; cam sensor usually throws a P0340 code up so unless there's one in there for it it's probably ok.
Fordtech. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 17:28   #3 (permalink)

Smile Re: Mondeo judders, lots of smoke from exhaust and cuts out

Thanks for your reply, I might get this replaced as it also came up in the diagnosis. Does anyone else have any other ideas.

Thanks again FordTech.
amjad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 04:08   #4 (permalink)

injectors might be gone as there easy to break
brenttaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 08:18   #5 (permalink)

If you are interested in a new car prices for a new ford mondeo then check out New Ford Mondeo price comparisons from main dealers across the UK It's quite good for gettin some independant info on a range of new car prices from a range of dealers.
Mel Farquar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Contour | Ford Mondeo | Mercury Mystique | Ford Telstar