Mondeo Overheating - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Contour | Ford Mondeo | Mercury Mystique | Ford Telstar
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Contour | Ford Mondeo | Mercury Mystique | Ford Telstar Forum for discussion of the Ford Contour, Ford Mondeo, Mercury Mystique and Ford Telstar

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2007, 09:37   #1 (permalink)

confused Mondeo Overheating

I have a 1997 2.0 lt mondeo. I have noticed that when travelling slowly in traffic with the A/C off, the temperature goes quite high to around the "A" in the "Normal" part of the guage. I think the low speed fan doesnt come on until the "A" is reached. It doesnt go into the red area but iI think its too close for comfort. However when the A/C is on,the guage doesnt go past the "R" which is about half way on the guage. This doesnt make sense to me. What is it supposed to be? I have had the radiator checked as well as the thermostat, temp sensor on the thermostat housing and coolant changed, but still the same. I think the problem is with the low speed fan not coming on when it should. Mechanics and auto elecs are scratching their heads. Anyone got any ideas or views as to whether there is a problem and if so, what the heck to I do?
Mondeo Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2007, 11:42   #2 (permalink)

Re: Mondeo Overheating

With the aircon on you'll always have a cooling fan running, which will keep the temp down. Is the heater working ok? It's possible the water pump is faulty, which will show as poor cab heating and also overheating on the motorway with aircon off, both due to poor circulation.
Fordtech. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 16:14   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for that. The heater works fine. When travelling on the motorway, and when in normal city traffic the temp guage goes to about half way, even if A/C is off. However, when in heavy traffic, the guage goes up to about the "A" unless the A/C is turned on.
Mondeo Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 04:55   #4 (permalink)

Hi my 1995 Mondeo 2.0L has the same issue, but the reading sits up to the L sometimes!! before coming down to the M.

Cooling Issues – Too Hot – 1995 Mondeo 2.0L Zetec Motor

Pre Major Mechanical Work: Temp Gauge mainly sits btw the ‘M’ and the ‘A’ on the
[ N.O.R.M.A.L ] part of the guage.

Major Mechanical work just completed as follows:

Cylinder gasket btw 2 & 3 went and using oil at a rate of 5L per 1200kms.

Work:

Cylinder head reconditioned
New bearings on crankshaft and piston rings and bores honed.
Obviously new gaskets throughout.
New Clutch

New thermostat, New radiator hose ($300AUD !!), Radiator tanks came off and rodded – no issues, New water pump.

Car still ran at the same temp so mechanic had an auto electrician inspect and found one of the fans was not coming on at the higher speed. Electrician hooked into the ECU and tested. They replaced one sensor (I think the ECU sender on the thermostat and a resistor to the fan).

Note: I rang a Ford dealer who said to me that he saw a lot of these come through his workshop and they normally due run at ½ way normally and then up to ¾ then the fans come in and then back to ½ way.

Car back to me and despite all of the above the guage reading is still the same as I mentioned at the very top, even getting near the ‘L’.

What do people suggest?
CraigSwinburne is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Contour | Ford Mondeo | Mercury Mystique | Ford Telstar