Problems starting - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Contour | Ford Mondeo | Mercury Mystique | Ford Telstar
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Contour | Ford Mondeo | Mercury Mystique | Ford Telstar Forum for discussion of the Ford Contour, Ford Mondeo, Mercury Mystique and Ford Telstar

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2007, 13:43   #1 (permalink)

Problems starting

Hi,

New to this site and wondered if anyone can help.

Have a 95/m 1.8 Mondeo and the car won't start. It started fine up until about a week ago but did have a bad misfire , which only seemed to be giving a weak spark on 2 and 3 ( 1 and 4 were strong and healthy ) Have had the following changed : Plugs ( NGKs ) , Leads , Coilpack ( Twice ) and Crankshaft sensor but still no joy. There is fuel in the fuel rail as when you crank the engine you can smell it, and on the odd occassion it will fire up and start all bar running extremely roughly and not sparking properly on two and three, It will not idle on its own, you have to keep it revved up. I have checked the supply to the coil and am getting and equal amount of current to pins 1 and 3.

I am at my wits end about this coz i just don't know where else to look ( obviously i checked all fuses ), Can anyone help?

Many Thanks
lostway is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2007, 01:55   #2 (permalink)

Re: Problems starting

When you say 'equal amount of current' what do you mean? 1 + 3 are switched earths from the module and 2 is a live feed. What you need is a test light across 1/2 and 2/3 checked whilst cranking to see if the module is faulty. Should give a good bright flash.
Fordtech. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 05:36   #3 (permalink)

Ford Tech,

Silly question, am i to test the pins when it is plugged into the Coilpack or unplugged as at the mo, when unplugged and the ignition key in position 3 but not cranking i am getting the same voltage from 1/2 as 2/3.

Will test as suggested as well though
MAny Thanks for reply
Old 07-28-2007, 09:19   #4 (permalink)

Thats plug off the coil pack and cranking, light will give a regular flash.
Old 07-28-2007, 11:02   #5 (permalink)

Hi Ford Tech,

Right coil pack off and cranking, test light across 1 and 2 and hey presto as you said i have a regular flash, test light across 2 and 3 and absolutely NOTHING! Now i will check the wiring but i had all this out once before and could see no faults, doesn't mean that they don't exist though. Would i be right in assuming at this point that we are heading down the lines of ECU!
Old 07-29-2007, 03:30   #6 (permalink)

Sadly yes, most times it's caused by a long-standing misfire.
Old 07-29-2007, 07:30   #7 (permalink)

thanks for all your help Ford Tech, i will let you know the result when i get a new ECu!
Old 07-29-2007, 09:51   #8 (permalink)

If the vehicle has PATS immobiliser ie redchip keys, then they will need programming to the replacement ECU.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Contour | Ford Mondeo | Mercury Mystique | Ford Telstar