whats wrong with my mondeo auto..? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Contour | Ford Mondeo | Mercury Mystique | Ford Telstar
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Contour | Ford Mondeo | Mercury Mystique | Ford Telstar Forum for discussion of the Ford Contour, Ford Mondeo, Mercury Mystique and Ford Telstar

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2007, 05:28   #1 (permalink)

Question whats wrong with my mondeo auto..?

Hiya, i'm new here and am hoping someone will be able to help me..I drive a ford mondeo GLX auto '97,unknown to me the transmission fluid pipe was leaking,this was only discovered when car started making a really loud noise, a new pipe was fitted and fluid replaced, but unfortunately the car is still making same noise..
therefore I assume I must have caused some damage running it without transmission fluid..can anyone please tell me what part is likely to be damaged and will it be expensive to repair, thanks a lot.
alannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2007, 04:09   #2 (permalink)
fordmech

Re: whats wrong with my mondeo auto..?

Hi
What kind of noise is it and when does it happen?
backlash1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 03:01   #3 (permalink)

Thank you for replying, ive been getting desperate for an answer..The noise is like a drone if that makes sense, ive also been describing it as like an old motorbike starting up..! It only makes it when car is moving and not when its just ticking over..(The car is serviced every year at a ford garage.)
Old 08-01-2007, 05:11   #4 (permalink)
fordmech

OK
Let's be more specific. How much fluid did they put in the gearbox after the repair? Did the leak got to the point where the car lost so much fluid that it didn't move at all when you put it in Drive or Reverse?
Did you experience warning lights flashing on the instrument cluster while driving?
I'll tell you where I'm going with this. What you describe sounds more like a wheel bearing noise, and it may be unrelated to your gearbox leak. Simple test: Drive your car at a steady speed where you can clearly hear the noise (50-60 km/h ?) then swerve the steering (not too quickly, give the car time to settle) a few times from one side to the other to change the weight of the car from left to right. If you can hear a change in the quality or volume of the noise it'll be a wheel bearing. Let us know how you go. cheers
Marc
Old 08-01-2007, 10:42   #5 (permalink)

Hiya, i did the wheel test like you said and there is no difference in the noise, but what i did notice was that when i slowed right down to about 25-30mph the noise got much louder (also when i took my foot off the accelerator and just let car move along the noise was very loud) than when i drove at 50-60mph, but there is no noise at all when car is stationary, only when its moving. The fluid was topped up to almost maximum level, at no time did the car stop going, and there were never any warning lights flashing at any time. Thanks for your help, Alannah
Old 08-02-2007, 03:11   #6 (permalink)
fordmech

Hi Alannah
What you say in the last post makes me think that maybe the noise is in one of the lower gears. If so, you may need to overhaul the transmission (sorry!). Do this quick test: Select the gears manually while driving, take off in 1, then 2 and so on and see if the noise changes with each gear or if it's louder in some more than others. This will confirm an internal problem. cheers
Marc
Old 08-04-2007, 02:14   #7 (permalink)

Hiya Marc, sorry for the delay in replying but ive been busy packing as i'm off on holiday today for 2 weeks, i havn't had a chance to try out the car in the low gears as you've suggested but will do it as soon as i get back home.
Thanks again for all your help and will get back to you in a couple of weeks, Alannah.
Old 08-12-2007, 02:02   #8 (permalink)

Hi Marc, I've come home early from holiday and tried the car in the low gears but they are fine, gears change okay no noise, it's just as it was before.. while driving along really slow it's very loud but when I speed up it's not too bad and the faster I go the noise almost stops I can hardly hear it. Alannah.
Old 08-16-2007, 05:01   #9 (permalink)
fordmech

Hi again
If the noise is there regardless of which gear was selected it can only be diff, bearings, driveshafts or tyres. So, get the car off the ground (on stands please, not on bricks!!) put it in drive and get it to the speed where the noise is worse when you're on the road. If the noise is still there try to locate which side it's coming from or if it's under the car.
Old 08-16-2007, 06:53   #10 (permalink)

thanks marc, i'll get someone to do that later today and let you know what happens.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Contour | Ford Mondeo | Mercury Mystique | Ford Telstar