Ford Forums banner

2007 Fusion Key Question

6K views 12 replies 4 participants last post by  Bert 
#1 ·
I recently bought a 2007 Fusion 4 cyl that had low km's, and is in near showroom shape, but the lot I bought it from only gave me one key, and have been no help in trying to get me a second one.

I called the local Ford dealership, who told me that a spare key would run me $199, plus $45 to program it. :HAHA: ??? I'm sorry, but I work in IT, and unless these keys are gold plated, I can't see how they can justify that price. Ridiculous.

So, my question is this, is there ANY way of getting a cheap spare made?

Aaryn

#4 ·
Had that problem a couple of years back when we replaced a family members car and was quoted £130 / $207 for an extra key fob ( only one remote fob supplied ) Wasn't worth it and just got a new key cut, with chip inside and recoded it in two mins as per instructions in owners handbook .

P.s
Think it cost £25 all in , but may be wrong , certainly wasn't dear .

#6 ·
We just bought a used 2009 Fusion. It came with two programmed transponder keys. I just ordered two blank keys on the Internet. These are keys specifically for Ford with a chip in them. Since I already have two working keys is it just a matter of having the new ones cut since I can program them myself? Can they be cut at a Pep Boys or similar business? Pep Boys was able to make a copy from one I have to just open the door - it won't start the car of course since it has no chip. The dealer and locksmith prices I'm seeing are outrageous!

#9 ·
Must just be proof of ownership they are asking for security reasons .Something similar operates in England when asking for a set of plates to be made .The UK Government introduced on 1 August 2008 regulations requiring the production of personal identification and vehicle registration documents when buying replacement plates from a retailer.

#10 ·
I just want to be clear so I don't ruin the two blank keys when they arrive. The cutting of them is just a physical exercise that any one with key-cutting equipment can do by copying my working key? Since I have two working, programmed keys I'm home free since I can program them myself? Am I correct on this?

#11 ·
As long as they were both programmed and not cloned. Some key shops will clone the key and it'll work but not as an extra key. If the keys came from the factory like that, you can program them at home, once they are cut.Look on page 97 of the owners manual for instructions.

#12 ·
Bert. Thanks for your info. I appreciate it. I bought the car from CarSense, a local mega used car dealer. I got the keys from them so I assume they are legit. So I'm relying on the info that you posted that I can get them cut ( perhaps at Pep Boys?) and program them according to the manual. BOTH my wife and I want to have an extra key. The new keys should arrive in the mail in two days.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.