Extended warranty question - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Fusion | Mercury Milan | Lincoln Zephyr | Lincoln MKZ
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Ford Fusion | Mercury Milan | Lincoln Zephyr | Lincoln MKZ Forum for the discussion of the Ford Fusion, Mercury Milan and Lincoln Zephyr.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2012, 08:45   #1 (permalink)

Extended warranty question

I recently purchased a 2010 Lincoln MKZ with 54K miles it is past the Factory warranty good for 50K FORD has a extended warranty program for around $1800.00 for 60 months or 114K miles I purchased the MKZ for my wife who drives about 10K miles a year
With the cost of maintenance these days I figure its good insurance
Any opinions/ advice would be greatly appreciated
Newguy
Newguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2012, 04:45   #2 (permalink)
Moderators

Re: Extended warranty question

I always go through warranties with a fine tooth comb to see what is really covered and what the conditions / exclusions are before deciding . Also how it works with the mileage and usage you do , whether it is worth the outlay .Not the first time I have thought some were a good deal till finding limitations on the cover which I was not happy with .Take your time and weigh it up before deciding if it would benefit you in the long run , might be a good deal dependant on cover and how long you intend to keep car for .
R.S.LOGAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 11:28   #3 (permalink)
canuck

Re: Extended warranty question

Personally, I think warranties are overrated.

The thing with warranties, especially aftermarket is that if it says things like "limited", and it's more than a few hundred dollars, walk away. Dealers, new or used, have different aftermarket warranties available. I purchased my Durango R/T at auction and it came with a Lubrico 3 year warranty already bought by the previous owner. It was for powertrain (engine, trans, diff, transfer case) only and I ended up using it for the plenum leak. I bought aftermarket parts for the shop to install so I saved myself $400 in labour, and bought the parts for $110 so the intake won't cause me problems down the road.

A new vehicle is warranted in two areas. Comprehensive, and powertrain. Powertrain really isn't anything to write home about and is how manufacturers market their vehicles if they're not selling well (like GM's 100K powertrain warranty for instance). Chances are good that nothing will happen in that time period so it costs GM nothing, and ultimately you pay for that piece of mind.

Comprehensive warranty includes the vehicle as a whole. Seat belt not going back after you get out of the vehicle? No problem. Plastic trim pieces loose? Again, no problem. Ball joint out of spec? No problem! Dealer will be happy to replace.

Comprehensive warranty is generally always lower than the power train warranty as it costs the manufacturer more. Aftermarket warranties might specify what their comprehensive warranty includes. It could just say "radio" for instance. Speakers blow? Too bad. A/C has a leak somewhere? Too bad. Previous owner installed a wrong fuse for the headlight circuit and after a year it finally blew causing electrical woes? Too bad.

I try to do as much maintenance as I can on my vehicles to save labour costs at a shop. In most cases, I've had my vehicles so long that I know them well enough to diagnose and get a problem fixed before it breaks down somewhere.
'99 Taurus 3.0L 2V Vulcan 145hp; 154,300m - Traded
Amsoil in all vehicles!
360ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Fusion | Mercury Milan | Lincoln Zephyr | Lincoln MKZ