Ford Forums banner

Ford Fusion Tapping Noise

3K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  R.S.LOGAN 
#1 ·
Hello, New to the forums. I have a 2012 Ford Fusion SE, 2.5L.

I bought the car in June, 1 owner car with 66k miles. I changed oil from Motorcraft semi syn to Mobil1 Full Syn when I got the car. After I bought it, I drove from California to NY for my wife's job. After I had about 6k miles, I had the oil changed. I drove back to California this past week and only had about 3.5k miles on this oil.

I noticed when I start my car in the morning, there is a tapping sound coming from either the top of the valve cover or timing cover. I took the car into BigValleyFord here in Stockton. They had it for 2 days, and it didn't produce any codes from the diagnostics. And they changed the oil again, just to make sure the oil didn't break down. But the sound persists and they claim not to hear any noise. I know they won't dig into the motor unless it's producing codes.

The tapping starts about 15s after you start up and goes away 2 or 3 minutes afterwards. Do I need to worry about this? I just don't want any damage done to my car, it's my first "newer" car that I've owned. Any suggestions on what it could be?

Here is a link to the video
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-FOLRknxMvfM09XczhsOGVJQjA/view?usp=sharing

Regards,

See less See more
#3 ·
Update. The lead mechanic at Ford heard the noise also, finally. They took my car in. Called a few days later and said there is a noise coming from the bottom of the motor also. So they're going to replace the motor entirely. Glad I had a bumper to bumper premium warranty.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.