Ford Forums banner

Noise/vibration high load low rpm

10K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  torquelover 
#1 ·
'06 Fusion S 2.3 Manual

On takeoff or low RPM and high load, the car has the sound and vibration of a car equipped with a short ram open air filter. I took everything apart from TB to the intake inlet, and made sure everything was connected. I even put in some weatherstripping to make sure the intake resonator in the fender was sealed tight. Noise still there.

Any ideas? I have read about the cat failing and creating noise. Could that be it? This is a DD and bone stock. It would be nice to have it quiet and non-ricey again.

#4 ·
THEN GET MODDING! kidding...

Cat's can do a lot of things when they fail. The worst, besides a possible rotten egg smell, is leaving you stranded from it clogging up completely and the engine can't expel exhaust gas and it stalls out.

One thing you can try here, is running synthetic oil. I know a LOT of people that have done this and noticed a smoother, quieter ride overall. Most are automatic vehicles though but that shouldn't matter. I gather you shift in the 2500-3500rpm range with the smaller engine. I know I would, as it cruises at 60mph around 3000rpm to my calculations, yes?

As you mentioned 'low rpm and high load', which I interpret by 'load' you are referring to one of two things. You have extra bodies in the vehicle with you and are trying to get the best fuel economy, or you're lugging the engine by putting the pedal down while the engine turns over a mere 2000rpm or less and takes a while to gain speed.

Curious, have you changed the gear oil yet? Perhaps adding a slightly thicker formulation will help you out a bit, along with synthetic engine oil to better allow lower engine speeds under load. Just a thought!

#5 ·
High load as in large throttle openings (50% or more) at lower RPMs (3k or less). Your one of two things listed above are actually the same, BTW.

The car has had Mobil 1 all it's life, and has a new trans with about 10k on it. The vibration/noise did not start until well after the trans was replaced.

I'm thinking that since the rear lower engine mount is pretty soft, it's allowing the car to pull apart something in the manifold/catalyst/midpipe creating this annoyance.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.