USA:Ford Futura is renamed Fusion - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Fusion | Mercury Milan | Lincoln Zephyr | Lincoln MKZ
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Fusion | Mercury Milan | Lincoln Zephyr | Lincoln MKZ Forum for the discussion of the Ford Fusion, Mercury Milan and Lincoln Zephyr.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2004, 06:40   #1 (permalink)

USA:Ford Futura is renamed Fusion

Ford Futura is renamed Fusion

By Brett Clanton / The Detroit News

DEARBORN — Goodbye, Futura. Hello, Fusion.

Ford Motor Co., after losing a naming rights battle with auto parts chain Pep Boys, seller of Futura brand tires, has renamed its upcoming midsized sedan “Fusion,” company sources told The Detroit News.

The automaker has been quietly telling dealers of the change and is expected to reintroduce the car as early as this week.

Ford announced the Futura name at the 2003 New York International Auto Show, explaining the five-seat sedan is aimed squarely at midsize sedans such as Toyota Camry.

In April, a federal court ruled Philadelphia-based Pep Boys had a better claim to the moniker. Last year, Ford also lost the right to call its 500-horsepower supercar the GT40 when a vehicle-kit maker stepped forward with the same label. A newly named Ford GT launches this summer.

The Fusion name fits in with the Ford brand’s strategy of beginning the names of its cars, minivans and crossover vehicles with the letter F. The Mustang and GT sports cars are the exceptions.

The Fusion will arrive in showrooms next year.

My next Ford.....
Stacy94PGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2004, 21:26   #2 (permalink)

Re: USA:Ford Futura is renamed Fusion

Ford names its new mid-sized sedan Fusion

Automotive News / July 23, 2004

DETROIT -- Ford Division will borrow a name from Europe for a new mid-sized sedan for North America.

The sedan, built on a modified Mazda6 platform, will be called the Ford Fusion, Ford spokesman Jon Harmon says.

It will go on sale in late summer 2005. The Fusion will be built in Hermosillo, Mexico.

The company had planned to call it the Futura, but the Pep Boys chain of parts stores uses the name for a line of tires.

In Europe, the Ford Fusion is a small wagon based on the Ford Fiesta car.

The Fusion in North America will fit between the Focus and the Five Hundred, a sedan due in showrooms this fall. The Taurus will be phased out, possibly as early as mid-2005, says an industry source.

The Fusion in North America will be the first of up to 10 Mazda6-based vehicles the company is developing for the Ford, Mercury and Lincoln brands.

A gasoline-electric hybrid version of the Fusion is expected in 2007. Ford's modified Mazda6 platform is called CD3.

Ford Division has decided to start each car name with the letter F.

My next Ford.....
Old 07-24-2004, 03:33   #3 (permalink)
Sandwich Connoisseur

Does this include oz?

I6, 5sp Factory Manual , Wade 1636, Pacemaker PH4480s, HF Cat, Cat-Back 2 1/2" Mandrel Bent Lukey Zorst, Car-puter, XR Front and AUII Clear Side Indicators.

Dull Alloy factory mags, ooo yeah.

Proud TQE Operator
donno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2004, 09:09   #4 (permalink)

No, just North America.

My next Ford.....
Old 07-24-2004, 13:56   #5 (permalink)
***** Idiot....

All I have to say is just get the Falcons to the US and we all will be happy. :)
LunaticSVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2004, 20:09   #6 (permalink)
FM
The SparkleHunter™

Phew! I thought they were going to name it Falcon.. Last thing we needed was a front drive Falcon!
FordForums Polo Shirts & Caps are now on sale.. Get both for $50.00 + postage. Click here for details!
FM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2004, 04:52   #7 (permalink)
rau
Don't Know Much User

About time they got rid of those ugly Taurus's
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Fusion | Mercury Milan | Lincoln Zephyr | Lincoln MKZ