1984 242 Brake Problem and Engine Problem - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > PAG Vehicle Discussion > Volvo
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2005, 23:01   #1 (permalink)
guess_who@nospam.net
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
1984 242 Brake Problem and Engine Problem

Got into my 242 this evening and after driving a few miles, the brakes
stopped working as power brakes. I was able to stop the car but with
great effort. Only check was to see if fluid was OK in master cylinder
and it was.


Car also kept stalling when at idle even though engine was warmed up.
Both of these started this evening and I have had no problems prior.
Mileage is 183,000 and coincidentally, it was 114 degrees here in
Phoenix today and still 112 when this all started this evening.

I have not tuned this car up since I got it 42,000 miles ago as it has
been running fine and getting the appropriate gas mileage.

Any ideas??

Thanks,

Dave

Reply to list or direct to n7rk@cox.net
  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 06-22-2005, 07:01   #2 (permalink)
Mike F
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: 1984 242 Brake Problem and Engine Problem

guess_who@nospam.net wrote:
>
> Got into my 242 this evening and after driving a few miles, the brakes
> stopped working as power brakes. I was able to stop the car but with
> great effort. Only check was to see if fluid was OK in master cylinder
> and it was.
>
> Car also kept stalling when at idle even though engine was warmed up.
> Both of these started this evening and I have had no problems prior.
> Mileage is 183,000 and coincidentally, it was 114 degrees here in
> Phoenix today and still 112 when this all started this evening.
>
> I have not tuned this car up since I got it 42,000 miles ago as it has
> been running fine and getting the appropriate gas mileage.
>
> Any ideas??
>
> Thanks,
>
> Dave
>
> Reply to list or direct to n7rk@cox.net


Check the hose that goes into the brake booster. Follow it back to the
intake manifold.

--
Mike F.
Thornhill (near Toronto), Ont.

Replace tt with t (twice!) and remove parentheses to email me directly.
(But I check the newsgroup more often than this email address.)
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 08:01   #3 (permalink)
Michael Pardee
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: 1984 242 Brake Problem and Engine Problem

"Mike F" <"mikef2316()"@allsttream.nett> wrote in message
news:42B95D0E.D1A55895@allsttream.nett...
> guess_who@nospam.net wrote:
>>
>> Got into my 242 this evening and after driving a few miles, the brakes
>> stopped working as power brakes. I was able to stop the car but with
>> great effort. Only check was to see if fluid was OK in master cylinder
>> and it was.
>>
>> Car also kept stalling when at idle even though engine was warmed up.
>> Both of these started this evening and I have had no problems prior.
>> Mileage is 183,000 and coincidentally, it was 114 degrees here in
>> Phoenix today and still 112 when this all started this evening.
>>
>> I have not tuned this car up since I got it 42,000 miles ago as it has
>> been running fine and getting the appropriate gas mileage.
>>
>> Any ideas??
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Dave
>>
>> Reply to list or direct to n7rk@cox.net

>
> Check the hose that goes into the brake booster. Follow it back to the
> intake manifold.
>
> --
> Mike F.
> Thornhill (near Toronto), Ont.
>
> Replace tt with t (twice!) and remove parentheses to email me directly.
> (But I check the newsgroup more often than this email address.)


I also had a booster check valve fail (in Phoenix - may be a heat thing)
when the back of the valve cracked partway around the edge. Those valves are
shockingly pricey so I epoxied a coin in the recess!

Mike


  Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 13:02   #4 (permalink)
Bill Bradley
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: 1984 242 Brake Problem and Engine Problem

guess_who@nospam.net wrote:

> Got into my 242 this evening and after driving a few miles, the brakes
> stopped working as power brakes. I was able to stop the car but with
> great effort. Only check was to see if fluid was OK in master cylinder
> and it was.
>
>
> Car also kept stalling when at idle even though engine was warmed up.
> Both of these started this evening and I have had no problems prior.
> Mileage is 183,000 and coincidentally, it was 114 degrees here in
> Phoenix today and still 112 when this all started this evening.
>
> I have not tuned this car up since I got it 42,000 miles ago as it has
> been running fine and getting the appropriate gas mileage.
>
> Any ideas??
>
> Thanks,
>
> Dave
>
> Reply to list or direct to n7rk@cox.net


Your problems are one and the same. You have a large vacuum leak in
the line between the brake booster and the intake manifold. This
usually occurs right at the manifold where the hose is split from the
engine rocking on the motor mounts (I'll bet dimes to donuts that your
passenger side one is soft from repeated exposure to oil from the oil
filter and age). Replace the hose and life should be good.
Oh, you didn't whether or not it was a turbo. On a turbo you might
have just blown the hose off and just need to clamp it.

Bill
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 09:01   #5 (permalink)
Apple Computer
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: 1984 242 Brake Problem and Engine Problem - Thanks Mike

Thank you very much for your information on the transmission and
steering rack questions Mike. IPD has Brake Booster Check Valves for
$14.50, part # CZ270596, fits 200/700/900 75-on, includes gasket.
1-800-444-6473 http://www.ipdusa.com . Quote from the IPD catalog:
"Broken or split valve can cause high-idle problems. Restore power
brake assist with this check valve."

On 2005-06-22 05:58:30 -0700, "Michael Pardee"
<michaeltnull@cybertrails.com> said:

> "Mike F" <"mikef2316()"@allsttream.nett> wrote in message
> news:42B95D0E.D1A55895@allsttream.nett...
>> guess_who@nospam.net wrote:
>>>
>>> Got into my 242 this evening and after driving a few miles, the brakes
>>> stopped working as power brakes. I was able to stop the car but with
>>> great effort. Only check was to see if fluid was OK in master cylinder
>>> and it was.
>>>
>>> Car also kept stalling when at idle even though engine was warmed up.
>>> Both of these started this evening and I have had no problems prior.
>>> Mileage is 183,000 and coincidentally, it was 114 degrees here in
>>> Phoenix today and still 112 when this all started this evening.
>>>
>>> I have not tuned this car up since I got it 42,000 miles ago as it has
>>> been running fine and getting the appropriate gas mileage.
>>>
>>> Any ideas??
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Dave
>>>
>>> Reply to list or direct to n7rk@cox.net

>>
>> Check the hose that goes into the brake booster. Follow it back to the
>> intake manifold.
>>
>> --
>> Mike F.
>> Thornhill (near Toronto), Ont.
>>
>> Replace tt with t (twice!) and remove parentheses to email me directly.
>> (But I check the newsgroup more often than this email address.)

>
> I also had a booster check valve fail (in Phoenix - may be a heat
> thing) when the back of the valve cracked partway around the edge.
> Those valves are shockingly pricey so I epoxied a coin in the recess!
>
> Mike



  Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 01:01   #6 (permalink)
James Sweet
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: 1984 242 Brake Problem and Engine Problem - Thanks Mike


"Apple Computer" <smulder@anonymous.to> wrote in message
news:2005062306455743658%smulder@anonymousto...
> Thank you very much for your information on the transmission and
> steering rack questions Mike. IPD has Brake Booster Check Valves for
> $14.50, part # CZ270596, fits 200/700/900 75-on, includes gasket.
> 1-800-444-6473 http://www.ipdusa.com . Quote from the IPD catalog:
> "Broken or split valve can cause high-idle problems. Restore power
> brake assist with this check valve."
>



Don't forget to check the hose, I had that split on my car.


  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > PAG Vehicle Discussion > Volvo



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 15:59.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.