740 turbodiesel gasket between turbo and airfilter tube? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > PAG Vehicle Discussion > Volvo
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2005, 12:01   #1 (permalink)
viktor weisshaeupl
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
740 turbodiesel gasket between turbo and airfilter tube?

When I was looking under the hood of my 1989 turbodiesel van I saw that oil
was leaking from the ventilation on top of the engine in the lid above the
valves. The rubber tube from there goes into a metal manifold(?) which is
attached to the turboloader on one end and to a plastic tube from the air
filter on the other end, that means all air taken in goes through it. I was
surprised to find out that this manifold is not sitting tight on the
turboloader but is a bit loose. There is a kind of spring mechanism keeping
it in place though. That means that dirty air can enter the engine and the
turboloader after the filter. In my Haynes manual I could not find any info
on which kind of gasket is there. Does anybody know? Any pitfalls?


Viktor Weisshäupl, Vienna, Austria

--
Personal e-mail to:vikwei at gmx dot at. The e-mail adress in the
newsreader exists, but is never read and only meant to hold the flood of
spam coming in inevitably when posting with a really existing address as
suggested in the netiquette.

  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 09-04-2005, 14:02   #2 (permalink)
James Sweet
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: 740 turbodiesel gasket between turbo and airfilter tube?


"viktor weisshaeupl" <roskakori@gmx.at> wrote in message
news:dff5hs$oen$1@newsreader1.utanet.at...
> When I was looking under the hood of my 1989 turbodiesel van I saw that

oil
> was leaking from the ventilation on top of the engine in the lid above the
> valves. The rubber tube from there goes into a metal manifold(?) which is
> attached to the turboloader on one end and to a plastic tube from the air
> filter on the other end, that means all air taken in goes through it. I

was
> surprised to find out that this manifold is not sitting tight on the
> turboloader but is a bit loose. There is a kind of spring mechanism

keeping
> it in place though. That means that dirty air can enter the engine and the
> turboloader after the filter. In my Haynes manual I could not find any

info
> on which kind of gasket is there. Does anybody know? Any pitfalls?
>
>
>


What's a turboloader? I'm having trouble picturing what part you're
referring to, I've only ever seen one intact 700 TD engine but I don't
recall there being anything unusual about it.


  Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 10:03   #3 (permalink)
Nomen Nescio
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: 740 turbodiesel gasket between turbo and airfilter tube?


"James Sweet" <jamessweet@hotmail.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:BDHSe.12920$B34.465@trnddc09...

> What's a turboloader? I'm having trouble picturing what part you're
> referring to, I've only ever seen one intact 700 TD engine but I don't
> recall there being anything unusual about it.


I mean the air compressor driven by exhaust gases blowing air in the engine.
Sorry for my not so perfect technical English. The turbo compressor aspirates
air from the air filter box. The aspiration metal tube is connected to another
metal tube which brings air from the air filter box.

I was in a Volvo shop this afternoon and saw in the spare part program that
there is a rubber seal. I will change it, since the parts seem to be too loose,
so probably the rubber seal is broken.

Viktor


--
Viktor Weisshaeupl
personal e-mail to: vikwei at gmx dot at. The e-mail adress in the newsreader
exists, but is never read and only meant for destroying the spam coming in.


  Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 13:01   #4 (permalink)
James Sweet
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: 740 turbodiesel gasket between turbo and airfilter tube?

>
> I mean the air compressor driven by exhaust gases blowing air in the

engine.
> Sorry for my not so perfect technical English. The turbo compressor

aspirates
> air from the air filter box. The aspiration metal tube is connected to

another
> metal tube which brings air from the air filter box.
>


Ah, turbocharger is the word you're looking for, or just turbo.

> I was in a Volvo shop this afternoon and saw in the spare part program

that
> there is a rubber seal. I will change it, since the parts seem to be too

loose,
> so probably the rubber seal is broken.
>


If you take it apart it should become apparent what the problem is, you're
probably right that the rubber seal has either fallen apart or just moved
out of place.


  Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 13:01   #5 (permalink)
viktor weisshaeupl
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: 740 turbodiesel gasket between turbo and airfilter tube?


"James Sweet" <jamessweet@hotmail.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:ZK%Se.16159$Sx4.13627@trnddc06...

> If you take it apart it should become apparent what the problem is,

you're
> probably right that the rubber seal has either fallen apart or just moved
> out of place.


Today I did it. There was no more trace of a rubber seal on the
turbocharger´s metal tube.. The 15 $ Volvo seal looked just like any
ordinary rubber ring.....
Thanx for your input
Viktor

  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > PAG Vehicle Discussion > Volvo



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:22.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.