850 TDI - idle revs - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > PAG Vehicle Discussion > Volvo
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2005, 01:10   #1 (permalink)
Drnya
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
850 TDI - idle revs

Hi.
I have an 1996 855 TDI with 250000kms. Started a month ago - when idle,
revs go up & down a bit (I'd say less than 50 revs). It happens only
when the engine gains working temperature (after driving for about
25kms). And it doesn't happen every time (?). And few days ago, the
lambda sond light went on for the first time (which on TDI indicates
some problem with electronics, since TDI doesn't have lambdas), but it
didn't happen again. Didn't notice any other problem - car goes well...

Please, tell me what can I expect it to be? And what price range?
Unfortunately, I don't trust any of my 3 local Volvo specialists :-(

Any clues?

Thnx very much.

--
Drnya
  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-21-2005, 01:10   #2 (permalink)
Mike F
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: 850 TDI - idle revs

Drnya wrote:
>
> Hi.
> I have an 1996 855 TDI with 250000kms. Started a month ago - when idle,
> revs go up & down a bit (I'd say less than 50 revs). It happens only
> when the engine gains working temperature (after driving for about
> 25kms). And it doesn't happen every time (?). And few days ago, the
> lambda sond light went on for the first time (which on TDI indicates
> some problem with electronics, since TDI doesn't have lambdas), but it
> didn't happen again. Didn't notice any other problem - car goes well...
>
> Please, tell me what can I expect it to be? And what price range?
> Unfortunately, I don't trust any of my 3 local Volvo specialists :-(
>
> Any clues?
>
> Thnx very much.
>
> --
> Drnya


I can't really help you except to say that if the Lambda light came on,
then the computer should have a code stored. Get that code read and
it'll point you in the right direction.

--
Mike F.
Thornhill (near Toronto), Ont.

Replace tt with t (twice!) and remove parentheses to email me directly.
(But I check the newsgroup more often than this email address.)
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 01:10   #3 (permalink)
1F
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: 850 TDI - idle revs




> Unfortunately, I don't trust any of my 3 local Volvo specialists :-(
>

Maybe Audi specialist? :-)


  Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 01:10   #4 (permalink)
Per Groth Ludvigsen
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: 850 TDI - idle revs

You might have a leak either in the diesel filter connections/fuel hose or
in the vacuum regulation
system.

The lambda sond going on/off can be from a lot of things - I had the same
problem with my 850 TDI but it
disappeared when I cleaned the cable connectors to the airmass unit and to
the EGR valve vacuum control unit.

Best regards Per


"Drnya" <drnya.zgb@makniovo.inet.hr> skrev i en meddelelse
news:d0mqg1$tnr$1@bagan.srce.hr...
> Hi.
> I have an 1996 855 TDI with 250000kms. Started a month ago - when idle,
> revs go up & down a bit (I'd say less than 50 revs). It happens only
> when the engine gains working temperature (after driving for about
> 25kms). And it doesn't happen every time (?). And few days ago, the
> lambda sond light went on for the first time (which on TDI indicates
> some problem with electronics, since TDI doesn't have lambdas), but it
> didn't happen again. Didn't notice any other problem - car goes well...
>
> Please, tell me what can I expect it to be? And what price range?
> Unfortunately, I don't trust any of my 3 local Volvo specialists :-(
>
> Any clues?
>
> Thnx very much.
>
> --
> Drnya



  Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 01:10   #5 (permalink)
Michael Pardee
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: 850 TDI - idle revs

"Mike F" <"mikef2316()"@allsttream.nett> wrote in message
news:422F0238.8F6CBB72@allsttream.nett...
> Drnya wrote:
>>
>> Hi.
>> I have an 1996 855 TDI with 250000kms. Started a month ago - when idle,
>> revs go up & down a bit (I'd say less than 50 revs). It happens only
>> when the engine gains working temperature (after driving for about
>> 25kms). And it doesn't happen every time (?). And few days ago, the
>> lambda sond light went on for the first time (which on TDI indicates
>> some problem with electronics, since TDI doesn't have lambdas), but it
>> didn't happen again. Didn't notice any other problem - car goes well...
>>
>> Please, tell me what can I expect it to be? And what price range?
>> Unfortunately, I don't trust any of my 3 local Volvo specialists :-(
>>
>> Any clues?
>>
>> Thnx very much.
>>
>> --
>> Drnya

>
> I can't really help you except to say that if the Lambda light came on,
> then the computer should have a code stored. Get that code read and
> it'll point you in the right direction.
>
> --
> Mike F.
> Thornhill (near Toronto), Ont.
>
> Replace tt with t (twice!) and remove parentheses to email me directly.
> (But I check the newsgroup more often than this email address.)


I didn't know diesels had lambda. What does it do?

Mike


  Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 01:10   #6 (permalink)
Drnya
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: 850 TDI - idle revs

Michael Pardee wrote:
> "Mike F" <"mikef2316()"@allsttream.nett> wrote in message
> news:422F0238.8F6CBB72@allsttream.nett...
>
>>Drnya wrote:
>>
>>>Hi.
>>>I have an 1996 855 TDI with 250000kms. Started a month ago - when idle,
>>>revs go up & down a bit (I'd say less than 50 revs). It happens only
>>>when the engine gains working temperature (after driving for about
>>>25kms). And it doesn't happen every time (?). And few days ago, the
>>>lambda sond light went on for the first time (which on TDI indicates
>>>some problem with electronics, since TDI doesn't have lambdas), but it
>>>didn't happen again. Didn't notice any other problem - car goes well...
>>>
>>>Please, tell me what can I expect it to be? And what price range?
>>>Unfortunately, I don't trust any of my 3 local Volvo specialists :-(
>>>
>>>Any clues?
>>>
>>>Thnx very much.
>>>
>>>--
>>>Drnya

>>
>>I can't really help you except to say that if the Lambda light came on,
>>then the computer should have a code stored. Get that code read and
>>it'll point you in the right direction.
>>
>>--
>>Mike F.
>>Thornhill (near Toronto), Ont.
>>
>>Replace tt with t (twice!) and remove parentheses to email me directly.
>>(But I check the newsgroup more often than this email address.)

>
>
> I didn't know diesels had lambda. What does it do?
>
> Mike



No - no it doesn't... The warning light on 850 TDI has the same lambda
symbol as a gasoline version, but it only warns about some (could be
many things) electronic failure - problem... I said that already - just
look at the beginning of the post... I learned that from my owners
manual :-)

Cheers,

--
Drnya




  Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 01:10   #7 (permalink)
Drnya
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: 850 TDI - idle revs

1F wrote:
>>Unfortunately, I don't trust any of my 3 local Volvo specialists :-(
>>

>
> Maybe Audi specialist? :-)


Well I don't trust any specialists in my city :-)
Just being paranoid, and don't want to get ripped off :-)

Besides that, I am not sure if the Audi workshops can check "their own"
engine in 850 TDI. Anyone knows that?

BTW, I am planning to make an OBD2 kit with some help from my friend...
Then I should trust it :-)

--
Drnya

  Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 01:10   #8 (permalink)
Drnya
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: 850 TDI - idle revs

Per Groth Ludvigsen wrote:
> You might have a leak either in the diesel filter connections/fuel hose or
> in the vacuum regulation system.


I hope it is something like that :-) It is certainly on the cheap side
:-) I'll doublecheck everything.

> The lambda sond going on/off can be from a lot of things - I had the same
> problem with my 850 TDI but it
> disappeared when I cleaned the cable connectors to the airmass unit and to
> the EGR valve vacuum control unit.
>
> Best regards Per


Thnk you very much - you've been pretty helful! Can you by any chance
point me to some links on the web where I can find information (and
possibly images) about those things? Where they are in the car and so on?

Hmmm - I'll try the next one :-)

What is the sparkplug lookalike thing situated on the far right (looking
from front) side under the hood between the battery and the fusebox? It
has 3 plastic (one yellow, two white) small diameter hoses coming out
of it?

After one service, I had similar problems cause they didn't put one
white hose back where it belongs to (air intake I think)... When I have
put it back everything was OK after just a few minutes...

Sorry for the long post :-) and thnx for the tips!!!

-
Drnya


>
> "Drnya" <drnya.zgb@makniovo.inet.hr> skrev i en meddelelse
> news:d0mqg1$tnr$1@bagan.srce.hr...
>
>>Hi.
>>I have an 1996 855 TDI with 250000kms. Started a month ago - when idle,
>>revs go up & down a bit (I'd say less than 50 revs). It happens only
>>when the engine gains working temperature (after driving for about
>>25kms). And it doesn't happen every time (?). And few days ago, the
>>lambda sond light went on for the first time (which on TDI indicates
>>some problem with electronics, since TDI doesn't have lambdas), but it
>>didn't happen again. Didn't notice any other problem - car goes well...
>>
>>Please, tell me what can I expect it to be? And what price range?
>>Unfortunately, I don't trust any of my 3 local Volvo specialists :-(
>>
>>Any clues?
>>
>>Thnx very much.
>>
>>--
>>Drnya

>
>
>


  Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 01:10   #9 (permalink)
Michael Pardee
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: 850 TDI - idle revs

"Drnya" <drnya.zgb@makniovo.inet.hr> wrote in message
news:d0pcsg$980$1@bagan.srce.hr...
> Michael Pardee wrote:
>> I didn't know diesels had lambda. What does it do?
>>
>> Mike

>
>
> No - no it doesn't... The warning light on 850 TDI has the same lambda
> symbol as a gasoline version, but it only warns about some (could be many
> things) electronic failure - problem... I said that already - just look at
> the beginning of the post... I learned that from my owners manual :-)
>
> Cheers,
>
> --
> Drnya
>

Ouch - my mistake. I'll try to read better!

Mike


  Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 01:10   #10 (permalink)
Mike F
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: 850 TDI - idle revs

Michael Pardee wrote:
>
> Ouch - my mistake. I'll try to read better!
>
> Mike


On Volvos (and most Asian and European cars), only your country gets the
"check engine" light. The rest of the world has adopted the lambda
symbol. Some cars (primarily American nameplates) in Canada have "check
engine" lights, Volvos did when the lights first came out.

--
Mike F.
Thornhill (near Toronto), Ont.

Replace tt with t (twice!) and remove parentheses to email me directly.
(But I check the newsgroup more often than this email address.)
  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > PAG Vehicle Discussion > Volvo



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:24.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.