850tdi - OBD2 confusion - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > PAG Vehicle Discussion > Volvo
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2005, 00:28   #1 (permalink)
Drnya
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
850tdi - OBD2 confusion

Hi!
I wanted to buy OBD2 kit for my 11/1996 850tdi imported second hand from
Germany, to be able to read error codes, reset them etc...

I was very happy to see 16-pin connector under the OBD2 marked coin
holder in front of the gear stick. Looked a little on the web, and
everything seemed clear.

BUT, while browsing and deciding which tool I will buy - things got more
and more confusing. So, now it seems that my car is not OBD2-ISO
compliant and things are not that easy.

I remember that somebody here has experience with 850tdi model. Please,
help me with the following stuff...

1) is my 11/1996 850tdi OBD2 compliant?
2) which cable & interface & software combo can I use for sure?
- ElmScan ISO 9141/14230 ( http://www.scantool.net )
- Vol-FCR ( http://www.onboarddiagnostics.co.uk/volfcr/index.html )
- Volvo VADIS
3) what cables & hardware do I need to use Volvo VADIS?
4) which pins on my car's OBD2 connector should be wired?
5) is it possible to read & clear EGR, Air Mass Sensor errors?
6) any other hints on 850tdi - OBD2 stuff greatly appreciated...

Thnx a lot.

--
Drnya
  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 06-14-2005, 00:28   #2 (permalink)
Bonnet Lock
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: 850tdi - OBD2 confusion

In an earlier contribution to this discussion,
Drnya <drnya.zgb@makniovo.inet.hr> wrote:

> Hi!
> I wanted to buy OBD2 kit for my 11/1996 850tdi imported second hand
> from Germany, to be able to read error codes, reset them etc...
>
> I was very happy to see 16-pin connector under the OBD2 marked coin
> holder in front of the gear stick. Looked a little on the web, and
> everything seemed clear.
>
> BUT, while browsing and deciding which tool I will buy - things got
> more and more confusing. So, now it seems that my car is not OBD2-ISO
> compliant and things are not that easy.
>
> I remember that somebody here has experience with 850tdi model.
> Please, help me with the following stuff...
>
> 1) is my 11/1996 850tdi OBD2 compliant?
> 2) which cable & interface & software combo can I use for sure?
> - ElmScan ISO 9141/14230 ( http://www.scantool.net )
> - Vol-FCR ( http://www.onboarddiagnostics.co.uk/volfcr/index.html )
> - Volvo VADIS
> 3) what cables & hardware do I need to use Volvo VADIS?
> 4) which pins on my car's OBD2 connector should be wired?
> 5) is it possible to read & clear EGR, Air Mass Sensor errors?
> 6) any other hints on 850tdi - OBD2 stuff greatly appreciated...
>
> Thnx a lot.


One more question . . .

Is it the same for a 1997-9 V70 TDi? [Same engine, almost same body, ODB2
connector inside storage box under centre armrest]
--
Cheers,
Bonnet Lock
______
Please reply to newsgroup. Reply address is invalid.


  Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 00:28   #3 (permalink)
Per Groth Ludvigsen
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: 850tdi - OBD2 confusion

Hi,

Look at my answers to each question line.

Best regards Per

> 1) is my 11/1996 850tdi OBD2 compliant?

Ans: No, the engine use Bosch MSA 15.7 ECU which has no OBD2 command
language

> 2) which cable & interface & software combo can I use for sure?
> >Ans: Vol-FCR ( http://www.onboarddiagnostics.co.uk/volfcr/index.html )

is working
>
> 3) what cables & hardware do I need to use Volvo VADIS?

Ans: Don't look into that solution - it is for a Volvo garage

> 4) which pins on my car's OBD2 connector should be wired?

Ans: You can buy assembled cable together with VOL-FCR or find
one that can assemble yourself on e.q. ebay

> 5) is it possible to read & clear EGR, Air Mass Sensor errors?

Ans: Yes and much more.....


>
> Thnx a lot.
>
> --
> Drnya



  Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 00:28   #4 (permalink)
Per Groth Ludvigsen
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: 850tdi - OBD2 confusion


"Bonnet Lock" <vol@privacy.net> skrev i en meddelelse
news:3gok78Fdfsm3U1@individual.net...
> In an earlier contribution to this discussion,
> Drnya <drnya.zgb@makniovo.inet.hr> wrote:
>
> > Hi!
> > I wanted to buy OBD2 kit for my 11/1996 850tdi imported second hand
> > from Germany, to be able to read error codes, reset them etc...
> >
> > I was very happy to see 16-pin connector under the OBD2 marked coin
> > holder in front of the gear stick. Looked a little on the web, and
> > everything seemed clear.
> >
> > BUT, while browsing and deciding which tool I will buy - things got
> > more and more confusing. So, now it seems that my car is not OBD2-ISO
> > compliant and things are not that easy.
> >
> > I remember that somebody here has experience with 850tdi model.
> > Please, help me with the following stuff...
> >
> > 1) is my 11/1996 850tdi OBD2 compliant?
> > 2) which cable & interface & software combo can I use for sure?
> > - ElmScan ISO 9141/14230 ( http://www.scantool.net )
> > - Vol-FCR ( http://www.onboarddiagnostics.co.uk/volfcr/index.html )
> > - Volvo VADIS
> > 3) what cables & hardware do I need to use Volvo VADIS?
> > 4) which pins on my car's OBD2 connector should be wired?
> > 5) is it possible to read & clear EGR, Air Mass Sensor errors?
> > 6) any other hints on 850tdi - OBD2 stuff greatly appreciated...
> >
> > Thnx a lot.

>
> One more question . . .
>
> Is it the same for a 1997-9 V70 TDi? [Same engine, almost same body, ODB2
> connector inside storage box under centre armrest]


Ans: The ECU must be Bosch MSA 15.8 to support OBD2.....

> --
> Cheers,
> Bonnet Lock
> ______
> Please reply to newsgroup. Reply address is invalid.
>
>



  Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 00:28   #5 (permalink)
Bonnet Lock
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: 850tdi - OBD2 confusion

In an earlier contribution to this discussion,
Per Groth Ludvigsen <pgl@post.cybercity.dk> wrote:

>>
>> One more question . . .
>>
>> Is it the same for a 1997-9 V70 TDi? [Same engine, almost same body,
>> ODB2 connector inside storage box under centre armrest]

>
> Ans: The ECU must be Bosch MSA 15.8 to support OBD2.....
>

I believe that mine is 15.8

This being the case, where can I get a definitive list which explains what
all the codes mean - in case I ever buy an ODB2 interface?
--
Cheers,
Bonnet Lock
______
Please reply to newsgroup. Reply address is invalid.


  Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 00:28   #6 (permalink)
Per Groth Ludvigsen
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: 850tdi - OBD2 confusion

Try www.odb-codes.com.
I do not have specific for Volvo.

Best regards


"Bonnet Lock" <vol@privacy.net> skrev i en meddelelse
news:3h0qv9Fedqo8U1@individual.net...
> In an earlier contribution to this discussion,
> Per Groth Ludvigsen <pgl@post.cybercity.dk> wrote:
>
> >>
> >> One more question . . .
> >>
> >> Is it the same for a 1997-9 V70 TDi? [Same engine, almost same body,
> >> ODB2 connector inside storage box under centre armrest]

> >
> > Ans: The ECU must be Bosch MSA 15.8 to support OBD2.....
> >

> I believe that mine is 15.8
>
> This being the case, where can I get a definitive list which explains what
> all the codes mean - in case I ever buy an ODB2 interface?
> --
> Cheers,
> Bonnet Lock
> ______
> Please reply to newsgroup. Reply address is invalid.
>
>



  Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 00:28   #7 (permalink)
Bonnet Lock
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: 850tdi - OBD2 confusion

In an earlier contribution to this discussion,
Per Groth Ludvigsen <pgl@post.cybercity.dk> wrote:

> Try www.odb-codes.com.
> I do not have specific for Volvo.
>


Thanks - but the link doesn't seem to work. Are you sure it's correct?
--
Cheers,
Bonnet Lock
______
Please reply to newsgroup. Reply address is invalid.


  Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 00:28   #8 (permalink)
OBD
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: 850tdi - OBD2 confusion

850 Tdi and SV70 Tdi using MSA15.7 are not OBDII compliant.

Vol-FCR will work but reads fault codes only, but it will do every other
system in your car as well. (Works with cheap 9 pin serial leads for
VAG-COM, search the net for these, you must have a PC with a 9 pin serial
port)

VAG-COM will work on engine (diesel pump) only, the engine is an Audi unit,
try the shareware version.

Hope this helps.


"Drnya" <drnya.zgb@makniovo.inet.hr> wrote in message
news:d86usk$960$1@bagan.srce.hr...
> Hi!
> I wanted to buy OBD2 kit for my 11/1996 850tdi imported second hand from
> Germany, to be able to read error codes, reset them etc...
>
> I was very happy to see 16-pin connector under the OBD2 marked coin
> holder in front of the gear stick. Looked a little on the web, and
> everything seemed clear.
>
> BUT, while browsing and deciding which tool I will buy - things got more
> and more confusing. So, now it seems that my car is not OBD2-ISO
> compliant and things are not that easy.
>
> I remember that somebody here has experience with 850tdi model. Please,
> help me with the following stuff...
>
> 1) is my 11/1996 850tdi OBD2 compliant?
> 2) which cable & interface & software combo can I use for sure?
> - ElmScan ISO 9141/14230 ( http://www.scantool.net )
> - Vol-FCR ( http://www.onboarddiagnostics.co.uk/volfcr/index.html )
> - Volvo VADIS
> 3) what cables & hardware do I need to use Volvo VADIS?
> 4) which pins on my car's OBD2 connector should be wired?
> 5) is it possible to read & clear EGR, Air Mass Sensor errors?
> 6) any other hints on 850tdi - OBD2 stuff greatly appreciated...
>
> Thnx a lot.
>
> --
> Drnya



  Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 00:28   #9 (permalink)
Bonnet Lock
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: 850tdi - OBD2 confusion

In an earlier contribution to this discussion,
OBD <noone@nowhere.com> wrote:

> 850 Tdi and SV70 Tdi using MSA15.7 are not OBDII compliant.
>
> Vol-FCR will work but reads fault codes only, but it will do every
> other system in your car as well. (Works with cheap 9 pin serial
> leads for VAG-COM, search the net for these, you must have a PC with
> a 9 pin serial port)
>
> VAG-COM will work on engine (diesel pump) only, the engine is an Audi
> unit, try the shareware version.
>
> Hope this helps.
>
>

I have a 2000MY V70 TDI MSA15.8

Can you please advise me what hardware and software I would need to
interrogate the OBD2 socket on my car - and where to find information about
the codes, so as to be able to understand what it's telling me.
--
Cheers,
Bonnet Lock
______
Please reply to newsgroup. Reply address is invalid.


  Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 00:28   #10 (permalink)
Per Groth Ludvigsen
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: 850tdi - OBD2 confusion

Can you explain how to set up VAG-COM for the
diesel pump and a 850 TDI?

I have tried but without succes. It seems that VAG-COM
does not recognise the ECU in the Volvo and Audi uses
Digifant ECU.

Thanks Per

"OBD" <noone@nowhere.com> skrev i en meddelelse
news:42ac0048$1_1@mk-nntp-2.news.uk.tiscali.com...
> 850 Tdi and SV70 Tdi using MSA15.7 are not OBDII compliant.
>
> Vol-FCR will work but reads fault codes only, but it will do every other
> system in your car as well. (Works with cheap 9 pin serial leads for
> VAG-COM, search the net for these, you must have a PC with a 9 pin serial
> port)
>
> VAG-COM will work on engine (diesel pump) only, the engine is an Audi

unit,
> try the shareware version.
>
> Hope this helps.
>
>
> "Drnya" <drnya.zgb@makniovo.inet.hr> wrote in message
> news:d86usk$960$1@bagan.srce.hr...
> > Hi!
> > I wanted to buy OBD2 kit for my 11/1996 850tdi imported second hand from
> > Germany, to be able to read error codes, reset them etc...
> >
> > I was very happy to see 16-pin connector under the OBD2 marked coin
> > holder in front of the gear stick. Looked a little on the web, and
> > everything seemed clear.
> >
> > BUT, while browsing and deciding which tool I will buy - things got more
> > and more confusing. So, now it seems that my car is not OBD2-ISO
> > compliant and things are not that easy.
> >
> > I remember that somebody here has experience with 850tdi model. Please,
> > help me with the following stuff...
> >
> > 1) is my 11/1996 850tdi OBD2 compliant?
> > 2) which cable & interface & software combo can I use for sure?
> > - ElmScan ISO 9141/14230 ( http://www.scantool.net )
> > - Vol-FCR ( http://www.onboarddiagnostics.co.uk/volfcr/index.html )
> > - Volvo VADIS
> > 3) what cables & hardware do I need to use Volvo VADIS?
> > 4) which pins on my car's OBD2 connector should be wired?
> > 5) is it possible to read & clear EGR, Air Mass Sensor errors?
> > 6) any other hints on 850tdi - OBD2 stuff greatly appreciated...
> >
> > Thnx a lot.
> >
> > --
> > Drnya

>
>



  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > PAG Vehicle Discussion > Volvo



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:03.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.