86' Volvo 240 Overdrive Problem...... - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > PAG Vehicle Discussion > Volvo
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2005, 23:01   #1 (permalink)
wirry1423
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
86' Volvo 240 Overdrive Problem......


Hello, i'm new to the boards. I own a 1986 volvo 240 DL sedan with the
aw70 automatic transmission. About two years ago I had a complete of
overhaul of the transmission. Since then I have had no problems, with
one exception. Sometime between 3 and 4 months after the overhaul, I
noticed that the overdrive was no longer working. It took several
months to realize because I do mostly city driving, and at the time I
was new to volvos and unaware of what the arrow on the dash indicated.
Now I have changed jobs, which requires me to do some fairly regular
expressway driving and I am interested in repairing this issue. I took
the car to my transmission shop and after a couple of hours to my
suprise they called to say that they were unable to locate the
overdrive problem. Apparently from what I gather, they did check the
overdrive solenoid and nearby wiring. They did say they repaired a
damaged wire emanating from the solenoid but that did not solve the
problem. They did not mention whether they checked the overdrive
relay so i'm assuming they did not. The symptoms are that the
overdrive arrow light ALWAYS remains on. However, when I press the OD
button on the shifter lever, I hear a click and the OD arrow light
becomes ever so slightly dimmer, but remains on. If i press the button
again, it clicks and the light returns to its brighter state. Also
occasionally I hear what sounds like a faint buzzing noise eminating
from the dashboard (usually after I start the car, but sometimes it
just starts on its own) When I press the OD button, the noise stops.
The overdrive does not ever engage no matter how many times I press the
button or what the speed, driving time or weather is like. Any thoughts
or help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.


--
wirry1423
------------------------------------------------------------------------
wirry1423's Profile: http://www.usenetcars.com/member.php?userid=2139
View this thread: http://www.usenetcars.com/showthread.php?t=390353

  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 06-22-2005, 00:01   #2 (permalink)
han_chung@hotmail.com
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: 86' Volvo 240 Overdrive Problem......

Hi,

My '87 240 GL had exactly the same symptoms. The overdrive arrow light
was always on, but the car wasn't in overdrive and was straining at the
highway speeds. I also got the slightly dimmer light when I pressed
the overdrive button.

I took this in to the repair guy, and they replaced the overdrive relay
and all was good. It was a very cheap fix in the end.

Han.

  Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 02:01   #3 (permalink)
Duane
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: 86' Volvo 240 Overdrive Problem......


>The symptoms are that the
> overdrive arrow light ALWAYS remains on. However, when I press the OD
> button on the shifter lever, I hear a click and the OD arrow light
> becomes ever so slightly dimmer, but remains on.


Replace the relay. The transmission needs a constant 12 volts to be able to
go into overdrive. When you push on the shifter button, the relay turns off
the power to the transmission and turns on the light. Usefull for towing or
more power on long hills.

Since the light dims instead of going out, the relay is still preventing
power from getting to the transmission so the transmission cannot get into
overdrive.

I'm supprised the transmission people did not know this. This is a fairly
common transmission used also by Japanese automakers.



  Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 12:02   #4 (permalink)
Bill Bradley
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: 86' Volvo 240 Overdrive Problem......

wirry1423 wrote:
> Hello, i'm new to the boards. I own a 1986 volvo 240 DL sedan with the
> aw70 automatic transmission. About two years ago I had a complete of
> overhaul of the transmission. Since then I have had no problems, with
> one exception. Sometime between 3 and 4 months after the overhaul, I
> noticed that the overdrive was no longer working. It took several
> months to realize because I do mostly city driving, and at the time I
> was new to volvos and unaware of what the arrow on the dash indicated.
> Now I have changed jobs, which requires me to do some fairly regular
> expressway driving and I am interested in repairing this issue. I took
> the car to my transmission shop and after a couple of hours to my
> suprise they called to say that they were unable to locate the
> overdrive problem. Apparently from what I gather, they did check the
> overdrive solenoid and nearby wiring. They did say they repaired a
> damaged wire emanating from the solenoid but that did not solve the
> problem. They did not mention whether they checked the overdrive
> relay so i'm assuming they did not. The symptoms are that the
> overdrive arrow light ALWAYS remains on. However, when I press the OD
> button on the shifter lever, I hear a click and the OD arrow light
> becomes ever so slightly dimmer, but remains on. If i press the button
> again, it clicks and the light returns to its brighter state. Also
> occasionally I hear what sounds like a faint buzzing noise eminating
> from the dashboard (usually after I start the car, but sometimes it
> just starts on its own) When I press the OD button, the noise stops.
> The overdrive does not ever engage no matter how many times I press the
> button or what the speed, driving time or weather is like. Any thoughts
> or help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.


Sounds very much like the overdrive relay. It's located behind the
dash, easily accessed by removing the glove compartment. They have an
annoying tendency to go bad.

Bill
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 01:01   #5 (permalink)
James Sweet
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: 86' Volvo 240 Overdrive Problem......


"wirry1423" <wirry1423.1r0i2w@no-mx.forums.yourdomain.com.au> wrote in
message news:wirry1423.1r0i2w@no-mx.forums.yourdomain.com.au...
>
> Hello, i'm new to the boards. I own a 1986 volvo 240 DL sedan with the
> aw70 automatic transmission. About two years ago I had a complete of
> overhaul of the transmission. Since then I have had no problems, with
> one exception. Sometime between 3 and 4 months after the overhaul, I
> noticed that the overdrive was no longer working. It took several
> months to realize because I do mostly city driving, and at the time I
> was new to volvos and unaware of what the arrow on the dash indicated.
> Now I have changed jobs, which requires me to do some fairly regular
> expressway driving and I am interested in repairing this issue. I took
> the car to my transmission shop and after a couple of hours to my
> suprise they called to say that they were unable to locate the
> overdrive problem. Apparently from what I gather, they did check the
> overdrive solenoid and nearby wiring. They did say they repaired a
> damaged wire emanating from the solenoid but that did not solve the
> problem. They did not mention whether they checked the overdrive
> relay so i'm assuming they did not. The symptoms are that the
> overdrive arrow light ALWAYS remains on. However, when I press the OD
> button on the shifter lever, I hear a click and the OD arrow light
> becomes ever so slightly dimmer, but remains on. If i press the button
> again, it clicks and the light returns to its brighter state. Also
> occasionally I hear what sounds like a faint buzzing noise eminating
> from the dashboard (usually after I start the car, but sometimes it
> just starts on its own) When I press the OD button, the noise stops.
> The overdrive does not ever engage no matter how many times I press the
> button or what the speed, driving time or weather is like. Any thoughts
> or help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.
>



Pop the cover off the relay and resolder the large connections on the
circuit board, or just replace it as others have suggested.


  Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 16:05   #6 (permalink)
wirry1423
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: 86' Volvo 240 Overdrive Problem......


Being an amatuer in every sense of the word, I don't have the tools or
the skills to repair the OD relay. However, I would like to replace
it. Could someone please direct me to precisely where the relay is
located and how to replace it. I would appreciate it, thank you.


--
wirry1423
------------------------------------------------------------------------
wirry1423's Profile: http://www.usenetcars.com/member.php?userid=2139
View this thread: http://www.usenetcars.com/showthread.php?t=390353

  Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 16:05   #7 (permalink)
Bill Bradley
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: 86' Volvo 240 Overdrive Problem......

wirry1423 wrote:

> Being an amatuer in every sense of the word, I don't have the tools or
> the skills to repair the OD relay. However, I would like to replace
> it. Could someone please direct me to precisely where the relay is
> located and how to replace it. I would appreciate it, thank you.


Open the glove compartment, remove the screws holding in the glove
compartment. Remove the glove compartment (it will just pull out). The
Relay will be located to the left of the opening. There's a metal clip
holding it there, you can just slide it off with the clip attached.
After that it's just plug/unplug.

Bill
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 19:01   #8 (permalink)
wirry1423
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: 86' Volvo 240 Overdrive Problem......


I wanted to thank all the members that responded to my question. Today
I changed out the relay and the OD is working as good as new. The only
small issue was that i was unable to clip the new relay in place like
the old one was, it was too difficult to see or feel the clip due to
the sharp angle at which the relay plug is located. But I simply
wedged it against two molded pieces within that space, so I don't
anticipate a problem, especially considering the tightness of the
connection with the plug. But otherwise this was a very easy repair
and the relay only cost me 30 dollars, so I think that it was a
bargain, especially with the increase in gas mileage i'm likely to get
on highway driving trips. Thanks again for the assistance.


--
wirry1423
------------------------------------------------------------------------
wirry1423's Profile: http://www.usenetcars.com/member.php?userid=2761
View this thread: http://www.usenetcars.com/showthread.php?t=390353

  Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 19:01   #9 (permalink)
User
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: 86' Volvo 240 Overdrive Problem......

In article <wirry1423.1rbayy@no-mx.forums.yourdomain.com.au>,
wirry1423.1rbayy@no-mx.forums.yourdomain.com.au says...
>
> I wanted to thank all the members that responded to my question. Today
> I changed out the relay and the OD is working as good as new. The only
> small issue was that i was unable to clip the new relay in place like
> the old one was, it was too difficult to see or feel the clip due to
> the sharp angle at which the relay plug is located. But I simply
> wedged it against two molded pieces within that space, so I don't
> anticipate a problem, especially considering the tightness of the
> connection with the plug. But otherwise this was a very easy repair
> and the relay only cost me 30 dollars, so I think that it was a
> bargain, especially with the increase in gas mileage i'm likely to get
> on highway driving trips. Thanks again for the assistance.
>
>
> --
> wirry1423
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> wirry1423's Profile: http://www.usenetcars.com/member.php?userid=2761
> View this thread: http://www.usenetcars.com/showthread.php?t=390353
>
>

Just as well you couldn't get the death clip reinstalled. Spring steel
and plastic cold creep don't get along very well.

Bob
--
The goal when driving is to miss the maximum number of objects.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 20:01   #10 (permalink)
Bill Bradley
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: 86' Volvo 240 Overdrive Problem......

wirry1423 wrote:
> I wanted to thank all the members that responded to my question. Today
> I changed out the relay and the OD is working as good as new. The only
> small issue was that i was unable to clip the new relay in place like
> the old one was, it was too difficult to see or feel the clip due to
> the sharp angle at which the relay plug is located. But I simply
> wedged it against two molded pieces within that space, so I don't
> anticipate a problem, especially considering the tightness of the
> connection with the plug. But otherwise this was a very easy repair
> and the relay only cost me 30 dollars, so I think that it was a
> bargain, especially with the increase in gas mileage i'm likely to get
> on highway driving trips. Thanks again for the assistance.


Glad that was it. Enjoy your new lower revs and higher mileage!

Bill
  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > PAG Vehicle Discussion > Volvo



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 16:31.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.