90 740 Dash board light problem - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > PAG Vehicle Discussion > Volvo
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2005, 16:01   #1 (permalink)
PK
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
90 740 Dash board light problem

The display lights on my 90 740 went out the other night. The lights for the
clock, speedometer, tach etc and the lights for the heater controls, ash
tray and shift control are dark.. I changed the fuse but that fuse #21 also
is for the marker lights and some back lights and they are all on. Any help
appreciated. Thanks


  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-14-2005, 17:01   #2 (permalink)
Peter K L Milnes
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: 90 740 Dash board light problem

You need to check the connectors and wiring behind the dashboard. Fuse 5
supplies interior lights so will not be involved. The panel lights wiring
involves a couple of inline soldered joints in the loom behind the dashboard
(found by removing the knee panel or the instrument panel, then following
the wires from behind one of the switches). I think they are Blue and Black.

All the best, Peter.

700/900/90 Register Keeper,
Volvo Owners Club (UK).

"PK" <patkoz@optonline.net> wrote in message
news:F39ef.3467$ha2.642@fe08.lga...
> The display lights on my 90 740 went out the other night. The lights for
> the
> clock, speedometer, tach etc and the lights for the heater controls, ash
> tray and shift control are dark.. I changed the fuse but that fuse #21
> also
> is for the marker lights and some back lights and they are all on. Any
> help
> appreciated. Thanks
>
>



  Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 20:01   #3 (permalink)
James Sweet
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: 90 740 Dash board light problem

PK wrote:
> The display lights on my 90 740 went out the other night. The lights for the
> clock, speedometer, tach etc and the lights for the heater controls, ash
> tray and shift control are dark.. I changed the fuse but that fuse #21 also
> is for the marker lights and some back lights and they are all on. Any help
> appreciated. Thanks
>
>



Try wiggling the shaft of the dimmer rheostat and see if the lights come on.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 19:01   #4 (permalink)
PK
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: 90 740 Dash board light problem

This model doesn't have a dimmer rheostat.

"James Sweet" <jamessweet@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:nZcef.9184$9T4.7977@trnddc04...
> PK wrote:
> > The display lights on my 90 740 went out the other night. The lights for

the
> > clock, speedometer, tach etc and the lights for the heater controls, ash
> > tray and shift control are dark.. I changed the fuse but that fuse #21

also
> > is for the marker lights and some back lights and they are all on. Any

help
> > appreciated. Thanks
> >
> >

>
>
> Try wiggling the shaft of the dimmer rheostat and see if the lights come

on.


  Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 23:01   #5 (permalink)
James Sweet
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: 90 740 Dash board light problem

PK wrote:
> This model doesn't have a dimmer rheostat.
>



Are you sure? My '87 does, granted the '90 has a different dash but it
would shock me if it didn't have a dimmer.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 23:01   #6 (permalink)
Aawara Chowdhury
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: 90 740 Dash board light problem

On Wed, 16 Nov 2005 06:18:18 GMT,
James Sweet (jamessweet@hotmail.com) wrote:
> PK wrote:
>> This model doesn't have a dimmer rheostat.
>>

>
>
> Are you sure? My '87 does, granted the '90 has a different dash but it
> would shock me if it didn't have a dimmer.


Sadly, "PK" is mistaken. The instrument panel rheostat is shown below,
http://apps.volvocars.us/ownersdocs/...0/90740_03.htm
(Pg. 8, No. 10)

AC
--
In America, through pressure of conformity, there is freedom of choice,
but nothing to choose from - Peter Ustinov.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 00:01   #7 (permalink)
James Sweet
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: 90 740 Dash board light problem

Aawara Chowdhury wrote:
> On Wed, 16 Nov 2005 06:18:18 GMT,
> James Sweet (jamessweet@hotmail.com) wrote:
>
>>PK wrote:
>>
>>>This model doesn't have a dimmer rheostat.
>>>

>>
>>
>>Are you sure? My '87 does, granted the '90 has a different dash but it
>>would shock me if it didn't have a dimmer.

>
>
> Sadly, "PK" is mistaken. The instrument panel rheostat is shown below,
> http://apps.volvocars.us/ownersdocs/...0/90740_03.htm
> (Pg. 8, No. 10)
>
> AC



That's the older style dash like my '87 has, didn't they update it in '90?
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 07:01   #8 (permalink)
Mike F
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: 90 740 Dash board light problem

James Sweet wrote:
>
> That's the older style dash like my '87 has, didn't they update it in '90?


No, not till '91.

To the OP: If you remove the cluster and join the red and blue wires
going from the circuit board to the dimmer together, the dimmer is out
of the circuit. The dash lights then come on full bright only.

--
Mike F.
Thornhill (near Toronto), Ont.

Replace tt with t (twice!) and remove parentheses to email me directly.
(But I check the newsgroup more often than this email address.)
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 12:01   #9 (permalink)
James Sweet
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: 90 740 Dash board light problem

Mike F wrote:
> James Sweet wrote:
>
>>That's the older style dash like my '87 has, didn't they update it in '90?

>
>
> No, not till '91.
>
> To the OP: If you remove the cluster and join the red and blue wires
> going from the circuit board to the dimmer together, the dimmer is out
> of the circuit. The dash lights then come on full bright only.
>



Well since he thought it doesn't have a dimmer it wouldn't surprise me
at all if it just got turned down all the way while trying to set the
clock or something.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 16:01   #10 (permalink)
PK
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: 90 740 Dash board light problem


You got it! Not driving this car very often, my daughter turned the dimmer
down while she thought she was trying to reset the clock for daylight
savings. When I looked quickly at the dash I was looking for a dimmer near
the headlight switch. That little black post just blends into the dash. I've
only had this car for 13 years DUH!!!!
It has become easier to post the problem on this newsgroup than to give it
much thought.
Thanks to all.

> Well since he thought it doesn't have a dimmer it wouldn't surprise me
> at all if it just got turned down all the way while trying to set the
> clock or something.



  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > PAG Vehicle Discussion > Volvo



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 18:45.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.