'96 850 cat update....... - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > PAG Vehicle Discussion > Volvo
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2005, 05:01   #1 (permalink)
euro930@comcast.net
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
'96 850 cat update.......

earlier post inquired about cause and effect with suspicion symptoms
indicated a clogged cat....pulled cat off....indeed the material inside
had turned to dust and chunks....installed new cat....all is well again!

removed 4 header bolts....remove 4 bolts on cover plate...remove "c"
clamp connector[2 bolts] on rear of cat...remove 2 ox sensors......
new oem style cat
$274.00
total time...2 hours.
how much does a dealer charge?

regards

  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 07-26-2005, 20:01   #2 (permalink)
James Sweet
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: '96 850 cat update.......


<euro930@comcast.net> wrote in message news:42E615DA.3CFFC110@comcast.net...
> earlier post inquired about cause and effect with suspicion symptoms
> indicated a clogged cat....pulled cat off....indeed the material inside
> had turned to dust and chunks....installed new cat....all is well again!
>
> removed 4 header bolts....remove 4 bolts on cover plate...remove "c"
> clamp connector[2 bolts] on rear of cat...remove 2 ox sensors......
> new oem style cat
> $274.00
> total time...2 hours.
> how much does a dealer charge?
>
> regards
>


Make sure you look into *why* the cat melted or you'll be out another $274
when it melts again.


  Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 13:01   #3 (permalink)
euro930@comcast.net
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: '96 850 cat update.......

James Sweet wrote:

> <euro930@comcast.net> wrote in message news:42E615DA.3CFFC110@comcast.net...
> > earlier post inquired about cause and effect with suspicion symptoms
> > indicated a clogged cat....pulled cat off....indeed the material inside
> > had turned to dust and chunks....installed new cat....all is well again!
> >
> > removed 4 header bolts....remove 4 bolts on cover plate...remove "c"
> > clamp connector[2 bolts] on rear of cat...remove 2 ox sensors......
> > new oem style cat
> > $274.00
> > total time...2 hours.
> > how much does a dealer charge?
> >
> > regards
> >

>
> Make sure you look into *why* the cat melted or you'll be out another $274
> when it melts again.


ya suppose it might have something to do with the 107,500 miles traveled-10
years in age?

regards


  Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 13:01   #4 (permalink)
Bev A. Kupf
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: '96 850 cat update.......

On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 15:15:12 -0400,
euro930@comcast.net (euro930@comcast.net) wrote:
> ya suppose it might have something to do with the 107,500 miles traveled-10
> years in age?


The cat on my 760 lasted as long as I owned car (close to 200K miles
in 12 years). 107K doesn't seem that much in terms of cat life.

Beverly
--
Many a smale maketh a grate -- Geoffrey Chaucer
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 19:01   #5 (permalink)
euro930@comcast.net
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: '96 850 cat update.......

"Bev A. Kupf" wrote:

> On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 15:15:12 -0400,
> euro930@comcast.net (euro930@comcast.net) wrote:
> > ya suppose it might have something to do with the 107,500 miles traveled-10
> > years in age?

>
> The cat on my 760 lasted as long as I owned car (close to 200K miles
> in 12 years). 107K doesn't seem that much in terms of cat life.
>
> Beverly
> --
> Many a smale maketh a grate -- Geoffrey Chaucer


everything is relative.
regards



  Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 22:01   #6 (permalink)
James Sweet
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: '96 850 cat update.......


<euro930@comcast.net> wrote in message news:42E7DD40.2CCD56D5@comcast.net...
> James Sweet wrote:
>
> > <euro930@comcast.net> wrote in message

news:42E615DA.3CFFC110@comcast.net...
> > > earlier post inquired about cause and effect with suspicion symptoms
> > > indicated a clogged cat....pulled cat off....indeed the material

inside
> > > had turned to dust and chunks....installed new cat....all is well

again!
> > >
> > > removed 4 header bolts....remove 4 bolts on cover plate...remove "c"
> > > clamp connector[2 bolts] on rear of cat...remove 2 ox sensors......
> > > new oem style cat
> > > $274.00
> > > total time...2 hours.
> > > how much does a dealer charge?
> > >
> > > regards
> > >

> >
> > Make sure you look into *why* the cat melted or you'll be out another

$274
> > when it melts again.

>
> ya suppose it might have something to do with the 107,500 miles

traveled-10
> years in age?
>
> regards
>
>


Shouldn't, with a properly functioning engine a cat should last indefinitly.
The only time they clog is if they're mechanically damaged or the engine
runs rich and overheats them.


  Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 22:01   #7 (permalink)
Dale Peterson
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: '96 850 cat update.......


"James Sweet" <jamessweet@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:s0ZFe.12439$dM3.4907@trnddc04...
>
> <euro930@comcast.net> wrote in message
> news:42E7DD40.2CCD56D5@comcast.net...
>> James Sweet wrote:
>>
>> > <euro930@comcast.net> wrote in message

> news:42E615DA.3CFFC110@comcast.net...
>> > > earlier post inquired about cause and effect with suspicion symptoms
>> > > indicated a clogged cat....pulled cat off....indeed the material

> inside
>> > > had turned to dust and chunks....installed new cat....all is well

> again!
>> > >
>> > > removed 4 header bolts....remove 4 bolts on cover plate...remove "c"
>> > > clamp connector[2 bolts] on rear of cat...remove 2 ox sensors......
>> > > new oem style cat
>> > > $274.00
>> > > total time...2 hours.
>> > > how much does a dealer charge?
>> > >
>> > > regards
>> > >
>> >
>> > Make sure you look into *why* the cat melted or you'll be out another

> $274
>> > when it melts again.

>>
>> ya suppose it might have something to do with the 107,500 miles

> traveled-10
>> years in age?
>>
>> regards


I've heard that over time the use of oil additives loaded with zinc can
screw up a cat.
Dale P...........
97 Turbo Brick

  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > PAG Vehicle Discussion > Volvo



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:51.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.