960, what to look for? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > PAG Vehicle Discussion > Volvo
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2005, 14:01   #1 (permalink)
Marc Onrust
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
960, what to look for?

Hi,

I might be interested in buying a Volvo 960 because they are relatively cheap to
buy and offer so much comfort and luxury in return. Although I recently owned
an 850 and later an S60 D5 (sold it because I started my own company with
office at home), I'm totally new to the 960. Can someone tell me whether this
car has specific weaknesses I should know? I'm especially interested in the
facelifted modell ('95 and later?) with the 2.5 or 3 liter engine and automatic
gearbox. Probably it will have run 250,000kms (156,000miles) or more.

All information, hints etc are seriously appreciated!

Cheers
Marc
The Netherlands
  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 10-29-2005, 14:01   #2 (permalink)
James Sweet
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: 960, what to look for?

Marc Onrust wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I might be interested in buying a Volvo 960 because they are relatively cheap to
> buy and offer so much comfort and luxury in return. Although I recently owned
> an 850 and later an S60 D5 (sold it because I started my own company with
> office at home), I'm totally new to the 960. Can someone tell me whether this
> car has specific weaknesses I should know? I'm especially interested in the
> facelifted modell ('95 and later?) with the 2.5 or 3 liter engine and automatic
> gearbox. Probably it will have run 250,000kms (156,000miles) or more.
>
> All information, hints etc are seriously appreciated!
>
> Cheers
> Marc
> The Netherlands



Keep up on timing belt changes because if it breaks the engine will be
destroyed before you know what happened. Other than that they're pretty
solid cars.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 00:01   #3 (permalink)
Marc Onrust
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: 960, what to look for?

James Sweet wrote:

> Marc Onrust wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I might be interested in buying a Volvo 960 because they are relatively cheap
>> to buy and offer so much comfort and luxury in return. Although I recently
>> owned an 850 and later an S60 D5 (sold it because I started my own company
>> with office at home), I'm totally new to the 960. Can someone tell me whether
>> this car has specific weaknesses I should know? I'm especially interested in
>> the facelifted modell ('95 and later?) with the 2.5 or 3 liter engine and
>> automatic gearbox. Probably it will have run 250,000kms (156,000miles) or
>> more.
>>
>> All information, hints etc are seriously appreciated!
>>
>> Cheers
>> Marc
>> The Netherlands

>
>
> Keep up on timing belt changes because if it breaks the engine will be
> destroyed before you know what happened. Other than that they're pretty
> solid cars.


Thanks for your answer. So I shouldn't worry too much about automatic gearboxes,
differentials and electronics?
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 09:01   #4 (permalink)
Randy G.
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: 960, what to look for?

Marc Onrust <mwonrust@home.nl> wrote:

>James Sweet wrote:
>
>> Marc Onrust wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I might be interested in buying a Volvo 960 because they are relatively cheap
>>> to buy and offer so much comfort and luxury in return. Although I recently
>>> owned an 850 and later an S60 D5 (sold it because I started my own company
>>> with office at home), I'm totally new to the 960. Can someone tell me whether
>>> this car has specific weaknesses I should know? I'm especially interested in
>>> the facelifted modell ('95 and later?) with the 2.5 or 3 liter engine and
>>> automatic gearbox. Probably it will have run 250,000kms (156,000miles) or
>>> more.
>>>
>>> All information, hints etc are seriously appreciated!
>>>
>>> Cheers
>>> Marc
>>> The Netherlands

>>
>>
>> Keep up on timing belt changes because if it breaks the engine will be
>> destroyed before you know what happened. Other than that they're pretty
>> solid cars.

>
>Thanks for your answer. So I shouldn't worry too much about automatic gearboxes,
>differentials and electronics?
>


With a 960 of that mileage I would make sure that they can show that
regular oil changes (around every 3000 miles, +/-) and tranny fluid
changes (about every 25,000-50,000 or so is what I like) have been
done throughout its life. Longer intervals are acceptable if there is
evidence of synthetic lubes being used. Additionally, open the oil
fill cap and look to see if there is a lot of crud builtup in there.
Pull the tranny dipstick and smell it to be sure it doesn't smell
burnt. Test the anti-lock brakes at around 35mph. If the suspension is
good it will stop with authority without excessive pulsing or
suspension hop. Once it is warmed up put the tranny in S mode (if so
equipped) and stick your foot in it and check that it shifts with
authority.


__ __
Randy & \ \/ /alerie's
\__/olvos
'90 245 Estate - '93 965 Estate
"Shelby" & "Kate"
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 11:02   #5 (permalink)
James Sweet
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: 960, what to look for?

Marc Onrust wrote:
> James Sweet wrote:
>
>
>>Marc Onrust wrote:
>>
>>>Hi,
>>>
>>>I might be interested in buying a Volvo 960 because they are relatively cheap
>>>to buy and offer so much comfort and luxury in return. Although I recently
>>>owned an 850 and later an S60 D5 (sold it because I started my own company
>>>with office at home), I'm totally new to the 960. Can someone tell me whether
>>>this car has specific weaknesses I should know? I'm especially interested in
>>>the facelifted modell ('95 and later?) with the 2.5 or 3 liter engine and
>>>automatic gearbox. Probably it will have run 250,000kms (156,000miles) or
>>>more.
>>>
>>>All information, hints etc are seriously appreciated!
>>>
>>>Cheers
>>>Marc
>>>The Netherlands

>>
>>
>>Keep up on timing belt changes because if it breaks the engine will be
>>destroyed before you know what happened. Other than that they're pretty
>>solid cars.

>
>
> Thanks for your answer. So I shouldn't worry too much about automatic gearboxes,
> differentials and electronics?



Well you should check that all that stuff is working, but there's no
glaring weak spots in any of that stuff.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 17:01   #6 (permalink)
Peter K L Milnes
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: 960, what to look for?

960s should use fully synthetic ATF from factory which Volvo say does not
need replacing during the life of the car. In UK we recommend that fluid is
replaced every 100,000 miles as an extra precaution.

All the best, Peter.

700/900/90 Register Keeper,
Volvo Owners Club (UK).

"Randy G." <frcn@DESPAMMOcncnet.com> wrote in message
news:dbu9m19eb9h6in1atrp3nsd9t0d7pgomnm@4ax.com...
> Marc Onrust <mwonrust@home.nl> wrote:
>
>>James Sweet wrote:
>>
>>> Marc Onrust wrote:
>>>> Hi,
>>>>
>>>> I might be interested in buying a Volvo 960 because they are relatively
>>>> cheap
>>>> to buy and offer so much comfort and luxury in return. Although I
>>>> recently
>>>> owned an 850 and later an S60 D5 (sold it because I started my own
>>>> company
>>>> with office at home), I'm totally new to the 960. Can someone tell me
>>>> whether
>>>> this car has specific weaknesses I should know? I'm especially
>>>> interested in
>>>> the facelifted modell ('95 and later?) with the 2.5 or 3 liter engine
>>>> and
>>>> automatic gearbox. Probably it will have run 250,000kms (156,000miles)
>>>> or
>>>> more.
>>>>
>>>> All information, hints etc are seriously appreciated!
>>>>
>>>> Cheers
>>>> Marc
>>>> The Netherlands
>>>
>>>
>>> Keep up on timing belt changes because if it breaks the engine will be
>>> destroyed before you know what happened. Other than that they're pretty
>>> solid cars.

>>
>>Thanks for your answer. So I shouldn't worry too much about automatic
>>gearboxes,
>>differentials and electronics?
>>

>
> With a 960 of that mileage I would make sure that they can show that
> regular oil changes (around every 3000 miles, +/-) and tranny fluid
> changes (about every 25,000-50,000 or so is what I like) have been
> done throughout its life. Longer intervals are acceptable if there is
> evidence of synthetic lubes being used. Additionally, open the oil
> fill cap and look to see if there is a lot of crud builtup in there.
> Pull the tranny dipstick and smell it to be sure it doesn't smell
> burnt. Test the anti-lock brakes at around 35mph. If the suspension is
> good it will stop with authority without excessive pulsing or
> suspension hop. Once it is warmed up put the tranny in S mode (if so
> equipped) and stick your foot in it and check that it shifts with
> authority.
>
>
> __ __
> Randy & \ \/ /alerie's
> \__/olvos
> '90 245 Estate - '93 965 Estate
> "Shelby" & "Kate"



  Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 18:01   #7 (permalink)
Tim..
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: 960, what to look for?


"Peter K L Milnes" <Peter.K.L.Milnes@btinternet.com> wrote in message
news:dk3p43$9q9$1@nwrdmz03.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com...
> 960s should use fully synthetic ATF from factory which Volvo say does not
> need replacing during the life of the car. In UK we recommend that fluid

is
> replaced every 100,000 miles as an extra precaution.


50k or even less if you regularly tow is the recommendation actually.

Tim..


  Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 02:01   #8 (permalink)
Marc Onrust
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: 960, what to look for?

Marc Onrust wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I might be interested in buying a Volvo 960 because they are relatively cheap
> to buy and offer so much comfort and luxury in return. Although I recently
> owned an 850 and later an S60 D5 (sold it because I started my own company
> with office at home), I'm totally new to the 960. Can someone tell me whether
> this car has specific weaknesses I should know? I'm especially interested in
> the facelifted modell ('95 and later?) with the 2.5 or 3 liter engine and
> automatic gearbox. Probably it will have run 250,000kms (156,000miles) or
> more.
>
> All information, hints etc are seriously appreciated!
>
> Cheers
> Marc
> The Netherlands


Thanks for all your answers. It appears to me that the 960 is a pretty
problemless car if it is maintained at the right intervals. Buying one with
150k + miles (220k + kms) should give me at least 100k miles of driving
pleasure without the engine or transmission dying on me. Well, looks good to
me.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 15:01   #9 (permalink)
Rob Guenther
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: 960, what to look for?

That its been maintained properly... Pretty much it, you might find the A/C
doesn't work, many people don't repair those... ours was just a series of
bad gaskets and one bad section of pipe... Some people assume it's the
condensor or evaporator and leave it.

Our power drivers seat memory kind of sucks.... you have to manually correct
it to get it right.

The radio stopped working on Tape and FM - I got a used radio from an 850
for 30 bucks.

Rear shocks are expensive

Our brake rotors lasted 160K Kms tho! all around, and no new calipers.

Make sure the tranny fluid and timing belt changes were kept up.

Ours in a 1993 and it feels pretty new aside from the squeaks from the
dashboard.
"Marc Onrust" <mwonrust@home.nl> wrote in message
news:dk0kje$iu6$1@news5.zwoll1.ov.home.nl...
> Hi,
>
> I might be interested in buying a Volvo 960 because they are relatively
> cheap to
> buy and offer so much comfort and luxury in return. Although I recently
> owned
> an 850 and later an S60 D5 (sold it because I started my own company with
> office at home), I'm totally new to the 960. Can someone tell me whether
> this
> car has specific weaknesses I should know? I'm especially interested in
> the
> facelifted modell ('95 and later?) with the 2.5 or 3 liter engine and
> automatic
> gearbox. Probably it will have run 250,000kms (156,000miles) or more.
>
> All information, hints etc are seriously appreciated!
>
> Cheers
> Marc
> The Netherlands



  Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 19:01   #10 (permalink)
Randy G.
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: 960, what to look for?

Hey there, Rob! Haven't talked to you in some time... How's it going.
As you can see by the sig, we gots us tu-u-dem now! ;-)



"Rob Guenther" <rguenther@cogeco.ca> wrote:
>
>That its been maintained properly... Pretty much it, you might find the A/C
>doesn't work, many people don't repair those... ours was just a series of
>bad gaskets and one bad section of pipe... Some people assume it's the
>condensor or evaporator and leave it.
>
>Our power drivers seat memory kind of sucks.... you have to manually correct
>it to get it right.
>
>The radio stopped working on Tape and FM - I got a used radio from an 850
>for 30 bucks.
>
>Rear shocks are expensive
>
>Our brake rotors lasted 160K Kms tho! all around, and no new calipers.
>
>Make sure the tranny fluid and timing belt changes were kept up.
>
>Ours in a 1993 and it feels pretty new aside from the squeaks from the
>dashboard.
>"Marc Onrust" <mwonrust@home.nl> wrote in message
>news:dk0kje$iu6$1@news5.zwoll1.ov.home.nl...
>> Hi,
>>
>> I might be interested in buying a Volvo 960 because they are relatively
>> cheap to
>> buy and offer so much comfort and luxury in return. Although I recently
>> owned
>> an 850 and later an S60 D5 (sold it because I started my own company with
>> office at home), I'm totally new to the 960. Can someone tell me whether
>> this
>> car has specific weaknesses I should know? I'm especially interested in
>> the
>> facelifted modell ('95 and later?) with the 2.5 or 3 liter engine and
>> automatic
>> gearbox. Probably it will have run 250,000kms (156,000miles) or more.
>>
>> All information, hints etc are seriously appreciated!
>>
>> Cheers
>> Marc
>> The Netherlands

>


__ __
Randy & \ \/ /alerie's
\__/olvos
'90 245 Estate - '93 965 Estate
"Shelby" & "Kate"
  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > PAG Vehicle Discussion > Volvo



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 17:33.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.