auto trans problem - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > PAG Vehicle Discussion > Volvo
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2005, 18:01   #1 (permalink)
Bruce Burrus
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
auto trans problem

Hello All,

I've got a 90' 740 GL (automatic transmition) and it all has just
over couple of hundred thousand miles. It seems to be shifting good
normally but every once and a while it just shifts down like you have pushed
the O/D button into the off position, on it's own. The light comes on that
is on the dash to indicate it has been moved but I have done nothing with
the button. But I push the button and it shifts into O/D and continue on.
I'm afraid I will damage the tranny if this continues so if anyone among you
have seen or had this happen and can tell me how to correct this I would
appriciate it very muchly.

Bruce


  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 04-19-2005, 21:01   #2 (permalink)
User
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: auto trans problem

In article <jjh9e.615$yd7.300@newssvr11.news.prodigy.com>,
bkburrus@sbcglobal.net says...
> Hello All,
>
> I've got a 90' 740 GL (automatic transmition) and it all has just
> over couple of hundred thousand miles. It seems to be shifting good
> normally but every once and a while it just shifts down like you have pushed
> the O/D button into the off position, on it's own. The light comes on that
> is on the dash to indicate it has been moved but I have done nothing with
> the button. But I push the button and it shifts into O/D and continue on.
> I'm afraid I will damage the tranny if this continues so if anyone among you
> have seen or had this happen and can tell me how to correct this I would
> appriciate it very muchly.
>
> Bruce
>
>
>

It won't harm the transmission. The O/D relay's gone flaky.

Bob
--
The goal when driving is to miss the maximum number of objects.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 06:01   #3 (permalink)
Mike F
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: auto trans problem

Bruce Burrus wrote:
>
> Hello All,
>
> I've got a 90' 740 GL (automatic transmition) and it all has just
> over couple of hundred thousand miles. It seems to be shifting good
> normally but every once and a while it just shifts down like you have pushed
> the O/D button into the off position, on it's own. The light comes on that
> is on the dash to indicate it has been moved but I have done nothing with
> the button. But I push the button and it shifts into O/D and continue on.
> I'm afraid I will damage the tranny if this continues so if anyone among you
> have seen or had this happen and can tell me how to correct this I would
> appriciate it very muchly.
>
> Bruce


http://www.brickboard.com/FAQ/700-90...iveRelaySwitch

--
Mike F.
Thornhill (near Toronto), Ont.

Replace tt with t (twice!) and remove parentheses to email me directly.
(But I check the newsgroup more often than this email address.)
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 18:01   #4 (permalink)
Peter K L Milnes
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: auto trans problem

More likely that the kickdown wire has come out of adjustment or you are
being a little leadfooted when driving.

Cheers, Peter.

"Bruce Burrus" <bkburrus@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
news:jjh9e.615$yd7.300@newssvr11.news.prodigy.com...
> Hello All,
>
> I've got a 90' 740 GL (automatic transmition) and it all has just
> over couple of hundred thousand miles. It seems to be shifting good
> normally but every once and a while it just shifts down like you have
> pushed the O/D button into the off position, on it's own. The light comes
> on that is on the dash to indicate it has been moved but I have done
> nothing with the button. But I push the button and it shifts into O/D and
> continue on. I'm afraid I will damage the tranny if this continues so if
> anyone among you have seen or had this happen and can tell me how to
> correct this I would appriciate it very muchly.
>
> Bruce
>



  Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 18:01   #5 (permalink)
Bruce Burrus
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: auto trans problem

Thanks to you all for this valuable information, I'll check the wiring and
the relay out asap and let you know which problem it was. Thanks again!
Bruce


"Mike F" <"mikef2316()"@allsttream.nett> wrote in message
news:42664B66.A7297C1B@allsttream.nett...
> Bruce Burrus wrote:
>>
>> Hello All,
>>
>> I've got a 90' 740 GL (automatic transmition) and it all has just
>> over couple of hundred thousand miles. It seems to be shifting good
>> normally but every once and a while it just shifts down like you have
>> pushed
>> the O/D button into the off position, on it's own. The light comes on
>> that
>> is on the dash to indicate it has been moved but I have done nothing with
>> the button. But I push the button and it shifts into O/D and continue on.
>> I'm afraid I will damage the tranny if this continues so if anyone among
>> you
>> have seen or had this happen and can tell me how to correct this I would
>> appriciate it very muchly.
>>
>> Bruce

>
> http://www.brickboard.com/FAQ/700-90...iveRelaySwitch
>
> --
> Mike F.
> Thornhill (near Toronto), Ont.
>
> Replace tt with t (twice!) and remove parentheses to email me directly.
> (But I check the newsgroup more often than this email address.)



  Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 05:01   #6 (permalink)
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: auto trans problem

there is an orange arrow on the dash pointing upwards . does this arrow
flash unexplainably ? if so that means the transmission has a code in it and
needs to be tended to
"Peter K L Milnes" <Peter.K.L.Milnes@btinternet.com> wrote in message
news:d46ntv$kqf$1@nwrdmz02.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com...
> More likely that the kickdown wire has come out of adjustment or you are
> being a little leadfooted when driving.
>
> Cheers, Peter.
>
> "Bruce Burrus" <bkburrus@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> news:jjh9e.615$yd7.300@newssvr11.news.prodigy.com...
> > Hello All,
> >
> > I've got a 90' 740 GL (automatic transmition) and it all has just
> > over couple of hundred thousand miles. It seems to be shifting good
> > normally but every once and a while it just shifts down like you have
> > pushed the O/D button into the off position, on it's own. The light

comes
> > on that is on the dash to indicate it has been moved but I have done
> > nothing with the button. But I push the button and it shifts into O/D

and
> > continue on. I'm afraid I will damage the tranny if this continues so if
> > anyone among you have seen or had this happen and can tell me how to
> > correct this I would appriciate it very muchly.
> >
> > Bruce
> >

>
>



  Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 19:01   #7 (permalink)
Peter K L Milnes
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: auto trans problem


<djmcreynolds1@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
news:_%4ae.90845$f%4.46591@bignews1.bellsouth.net...
> there is an orange arrow on the dash pointing upwards . does this arrow
> flash unexplainably ? if so that means the transmission has a code in it
> and
> needs to be tended to

<snipped>
Not on a 740!! There are no codes storable as transmission is purely
mechanical.

Cheers, Peter.


  Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005, 22:01   #8 (permalink)
Bruce Burrus
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: auto trans problem

Peter, the arrow on the dash does come on when it unexplainably shifts down
but there has never been any blinking of the arrow that I have noticed.

Bruce

"Peter K L Milnes" <Peter.K.L.Milnes@btinternet.com> wrote in message
news:d4c1lq$sul$1@nwrdmz03.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com...
>
> <djmcreynolds1@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> news:_%4ae.90845$f%4.46591@bignews1.bellsouth.net...
>> there is an orange arrow on the dash pointing upwards . does this arrow
>> flash unexplainably ? if so that means the transmission has a code in it
>> and
>> needs to be tended to

> <snipped>
> Not on a 740!! There are no codes storable as transmission is purely
> mechanical.
>
> Cheers, Peter.
>
>



  Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 11:01   #9 (permalink)
James Sweet
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: auto trans problem


"Bruce Burrus" <bkburrus@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
news:UOEae.2817$yd7.58@newssvr11.news.prodigy.com...
> Peter, the arrow on the dash does come on when it unexplainably shifts

down
> but there has never been any blinking of the arrow that I have noticed.
>
> Bruce



You've got a bad connection inside the overdrive relay. If you can solder
it's easy to fix, otherwise a new relay is about $50 and is easy to change
out.


  Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 00:28   #10 (permalink)
Bruce Burrus
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: auto trans problem

That was it I guess, I heated up one spot that looked bad on the board and
it hasn't done it since. Thanks, Bruce


"James Sweet" <jamessweet@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:7KQae.3146$yc.782@trnddc02...
>
> "Bruce Burrus" <bkburrus@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> news:UOEae.2817$yd7.58@newssvr11.news.prodigy.com...
>> Peter, the arrow on the dash does come on when it unexplainably shifts

> down
>> but there has never been any blinking of the arrow that I have noticed.
>>
>> Bruce

>
>
> You've got a bad connection inside the overdrive relay. If you can solder
> it's easy to fix, otherwise a new relay is about $50 and is easy to change
> out.
>
>
>



  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > PAG Vehicle Discussion > Volvo



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:22.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.