Bending antenna on wagon - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > PAG Vehicle Discussion > Volvo
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2005, 10:01   #1 (permalink)
robert.st-louis@ec.gc.ca
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Bending antenna on wagon

The radio antenna on the top rear of my 240 wagon keeps hitting the
door and roof pipes in the parking garage at work. Annoying and I'm
concerned it could lead to problems with it. I assume I can bend it
backwards so it doesn't bang everytime? Any tricks to doing this
without breaking the whip? Thanks.

  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 08-28-2005, 22:01   #2 (permalink)
User
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Bending antenna on wagon

In article <1125071873.412474.38180@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
robert.st-louis@ec.gc.ca says...
> The radio antenna on the top rear of my 240 wagon keeps hitting the
> door and roof pipes in the parking garage at work. Annoying and I'm
> concerned it could lead to problems with it. I assume I can bend it
> backwards so it doesn't bang everytime? Any tricks to doing this
> without breaking the whip? Thanks.
>
>

There should be a switch with what looks like a chicken foot on it
(universal electrical symbol for antenna) somewhere to the left of the
steering column. Rock it the opposite way and the antenna should retract
so that it doesn't hit in low clearance areas. If it's the non-power
whip antenna, no worries it's meant to flex.

Bob
--
The goal when driving is to miss the maximum number of objects.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 08:01   #3 (permalink)
Mike F
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Bending antenna on wagon

User wrote:
>
> In article <1125071873.412474.38180@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
> robert.st-louis@ec.gc.ca says...
> > The radio antenna on the top rear of my 240 wagon keeps hitting the
> > door and roof pipes in the parking garage at work. Annoying and I'm
> > concerned it could lead to problems with it. I assume I can bend it
> > backwards so it doesn't bang everytime? Any tricks to doing this
> > without breaking the whip? Thanks.
> >
> >

> There should be a switch with what looks like a chicken foot on it
> (universal electrical symbol for antenna) somewhere to the left of the
> steering column. Rock it the opposite way and the antenna should retract
> so that it doesn't hit in low clearance areas. If it's the non-power
> whip antenna, no worries it's meant to flex.
>
> Bob
> --
> The goal when driving is to miss the maximum number of objects.


Never was a power antenna in a 240, you're thinking of the one in a 740
wagon. There's not really a good solution for the 240, when the cars
were new, they came with a little wrench that you could put on your
keychain and remove the mast.

--
Mike F.
Thornhill (near Toronto), Ont.

Replace tt with t (twice!) and remove parentheses to email me directly.
(But I check the newsgroup more often than this email address.)
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 10:01   #4 (permalink)
robert.st-louis@ec.gc.ca
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Bending antenna on wagon

You're right Mike, it's a manual one.
WHen I got the wagon a month ago, and the antenna mast was bashing
against the garage door at work, I took a wrench, disconnected the
mast, then gently bent it back so that it would be pointed backwards,
hopefully missing the door. Problem was that I didn't mark the rear of
the mast, so that when I tightened it, it was pointing sideways.
Mistakenly, I tried to tighten it an extra 1/4 turn to point it back,
and then (you guessed it), the thing snapped off. Had to go to Volvo
and buy a new kit, because the connector at the vehicle body had
snapped off in the mast. Now I have a new mast, and will probably try
to bend again, but this time I'll mark the back part so when I
(gently!) torque it down with the little wrench, the mast will be bent
toward the back. I was just concerned about possibly snapping the mast
in two if I bend too vigorously, so will go gently... (don't want to
have to buy another antenna kit!). ANyway, lessons learned...
Mike F wrote:
> User wrote:
> >
> > In article <1125071873.412474.38180@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
> > robert.st-louis@ec.gc.ca says...
> > > The radio antenna on the top rear of my 240 wagon keeps hitting the
> > > door and roof pipes in the parking garage at work. Annoying and I'm
> > > concerned it could lead to problems with it. I assume I can bend it
> > > backwards so it doesn't bang everytime? Any tricks to doing this
> > > without breaking the whip? Thanks.
> > >
> > >

> > There should be a switch with what looks like a chicken foot on it
> > (universal electrical symbol for antenna) somewhere to the left of the
> > steering column. Rock it the opposite way and the antenna should retract
> > so that it doesn't hit in low clearance areas. If it's the non-power
> > whip antenna, no worries it's meant to flex.
> >
> > Bob
> > --
> > The goal when driving is to miss the maximum number of objects.

>
> Never was a power antenna in a 240, you're thinking of the one in a 740
> wagon. There's not really a good solution for the 240, when the cars
> were new, they came with a little wrench that you could put on your
> keychain and remove the mast.
>
> --
> Mike F.
> Thornhill (near Toronto), Ont.
>
> Replace tt with t (twice!) and remove parentheses to email me directly.
> (But I check the newsgroup more often than this email address.)


  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > PAG Vehicle Discussion > Volvo



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 22:09.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.