Electronic Throttle Module (ETM) question - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > PAG Vehicle Discussion > Volvo
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2005, 09:01   #1 (permalink)
brenner77@hotmail.com
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Electronic Throttle Module (ETM) question

Hi All,
I have a 2000 S70 and read a lot about the failures ETM related in the
1999-2001 models. I'm thinking of getting a newer Volvo, 2002 or 2003
model year but I'm concerned about the ETM they're using. Can anyone
please tell me if Volvo has addressed the ETM issues for these model
years? Are they still using the Marelli ETMs or have they switched to
Bosch ETMs?

Thanks,
Dan Brenner

  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 10-21-2005, 07:01   #2 (permalink)
Mike F
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Electronic Throttle Module (ETM) question

brenner77@hotmail.com wrote:
>
> Hi All,
> I have a 2000 S70 and read a lot about the failures ETM related in the
> 1999-2001 models. I'm thinking of getting a newer Volvo, 2002 or 2003
> model year but I'm concerned about the ETM they're using. Can anyone
> please tell me if Volvo has addressed the ETM issues for these model
> years? Are they still using the Marelli ETMs or have they switched to
> Bosch ETMs?
>
> Thanks,
> Dan Brenner


I'm not sure of the brand of the newer throttle modules, but they seem
to have more normal failure rates. Every car I've seen or heard of that
needed a throttle module has been 1999-2001. Of course age/mileage has
something to do with it, but the 1999-2001 modules were failing long
before the age that the 2002 models are now.

--
Mike F.
Thornhill (near Toronto), Ont.

Replace tt with t (twice!) and remove parentheses to email me directly.
(But I check the newsgroup more often than this email address.)
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2005, 09:01   #3 (permalink)
brenner77@hotmail.com
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Electronic Throttle Module (ETM) question

Thanks for your answer Mike. I too live near Toronto but a bit more to
the north than you, in Aurora. I've checked autotrader.ca for 2002 and
up Volvos V70 for sale looking for pictures of the engine compartment
and I found quite a few cars (for sale by dealers). The 2002 models
have the exact same Marelli ETM from what I could see in the pictures
whereas for the more recent years the well known marelli ETM was not
there anymore and the area looked completely redesigned. So I think
it's safe to say that starting with 2003 they made a clean cut and
migrated to something new and hopefully better.

Regards,
Dan Brenner

Mike F wrote:
> brenner77@hotmail.com wrote:


> I'm not sure of the brand of the newer throttle modules, but they seem
> to have more normal failure rates. Every car I've seen or heard of that
> needed a throttle module has been 1999-2001. Of course age/mileage has
> something to do with it, but the 1999-2001 modules were failing long
> before the age that the 2002 models are now.
>
> --
> Mike F.
> Thornhill (near Toronto), Ont.
>
> Replace tt with t (twice!) and remove parentheses to email me directly.
> (But I check the newsgroup more often than this email address.)


  Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2005, 10:01   #4 (permalink)
Boris Mohar
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Electronic Throttle Module (ETM) question

On 22 Oct 2005 07:45:23 -0700, brenner77@hotmail.com wrote:

>Thanks for your answer Mike. I too live near Toronto but a bit more to
>the north than you, in Aurora. I've checked autotrader.ca for 2002 and
>up Volvos V70 for sale looking for pictures of the engine compartment
>and I found quite a few cars (for sale by dealers). The 2002 models
>have the exact same Marelli ETM from what I could see in the pictures
>whereas for the more recent years the well known marelli ETM was not
>there anymore and the area looked completely redesigned. So I think
>it's safe to say that starting with 2003 they made a clean cut and
>migrated to something new and hopefully better.
>
>Regards,
>Dan Brenner


Small world. I live in Aurora also. You can verify your information by
asking Les at Suter's Auto in Aurora. They are you local Volvo experts.
Tel. 907 727-2404



Regards,

Boris Mohar

Got Knock? - see:
Viatrack Printed Circuit Designs (among other things) http://www.viatrack.ca

void _-void-_ in the obvious place


  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > PAG Vehicle Discussion > Volvo



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:34.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.