Just Out Of Curiosity.... - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-11-05, 04:01 PM
..................................................
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Just Out Of Curiosity....

If I came out to my car and had a completely flat battery...how would
you get the doors unlocked on these newer Volvos where the key doesn't
actually unlock the door physically, but through an electrical motor?
Or, maybe I should duct tape a brick to the roof rail for just such an
eventuality. If I called the Auto Club for a jump, even though the
battery is under the floor in the rear, is there a way of popping the
hood in an emergency? If you could remove the grille, there could be a
way to reach in and move the lever that's on the cable from the inside
of the car.
I can just see people all over the world shaking their heads in disblief
over my obvious lack of having a life and thinking of such things.


 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-11-05, 04:01 PM
Bret Ludwig
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Just Out Of Curiosity....


......................................................... wrote:
> If I came out to my car and had a completely flat battery...how would
> you get the doors unlocked on these newer Volvos where the key doesn't
> actually unlock the door physically, but through an electrical motor?
> Or, maybe I should duct tape a brick to the roof rail for just such an
> eventuality. If I called the Auto Club for a jump, even though the
> battery is under the floor in the rear, is there a way of popping the
> hood in an emergency? If you could remove the grille, there could be a
> way to reach in and move the lever that's on the cable from the inside
> of the car.
> I can just see people all over the world shaking their heads in disblief
> over my obvious lack of having a life and thinking of such things.


No, that's smart. I would fit an external power plug enabling you to
trickle charge the battery from outside and provide power to the car
electrics.

 
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-11-05, 07:01 PM
James Sweet
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Just Out Of Curiosity....

Bret Ludwig wrote:
> ........................................................ wrote:
>
>>If I came out to my car and had a completely flat battery...how would
>>you get the doors unlocked on these newer Volvos where the key doesn't
>>actually unlock the door physically, but through an electrical motor?
>>Or, maybe I should duct tape a brick to the roof rail for just such an
>>eventuality. If I called the Auto Club for a jump, even though the
>>battery is under the floor in the rear, is there a way of popping the
>>hood in an emergency? If you could remove the grille, there could be a
>>way to reach in and move the lever that's on the cable from the inside
>>of the car.
>>I can just see people all over the world shaking their heads in disblief
>>over my obvious lack of having a life and thinking of such things.

>
>
> No, that's smart. I would fit an external power plug enabling you to
> trickle charge the battery from outside and provide power to the car
> electrics.
>



Surely there's some sort of mechanical linkage present? At least on the
driver's door?
 
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-11-05, 07:01 PM
Gary Heston
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Just Out Of Curiosity....

In article <Hp2nf.167$Zu5.63@fed1read03>,
......................................................... <jbincyberia@cox.nospam.net> wrote:
>If I came out to my car and had a completely flat battery...how would
>you get the doors unlocked on these newer Volvos where the key doesn't
>actually unlock the door physically, but through an electrical motor?
>Or, maybe I should duct tape a brick to the roof rail for just such an
>eventuality. If I called the Auto Club for a jump, even though the
>battery is under the floor in the rear, is there a way of popping the
>hood in an emergency? If you could remove the grille, there could be a
>way to reach in and move the lever that's on the cable from the inside
>of the car.


Jack up the front of the car and attach the positive jumper cable to the
main power cable to the starter, which goes directly to the battery.
Attach the negative cable to bare metal on the engine or chassis. Connect
the other ends to a good battery, unlock the door and open whatever you
need to get to the battery. Disconnect cables, lower the car, and connect
directly to the battery.

>I can just see people all over the world shaking their heads in disblief
>over my obvious lack of having a life and thinking of such things.


It's not an uncommon problem these days; better to anticipate it and have
a plan to deal with it..


Gary

--
Gary Heston gheston@hiwaay.net I don't need an iPod, I have an IQ.

A worthwhile endeavour:
http://www.thebrestcancersite.com/cg...jects/CTDSites
 
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-13-05, 12:01 PM
..................................................
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Just Out Of Curiosity....



Gary Heston wrote:
> In article <Hp2nf.167$Zu5.63@fed1read03>,
> ........................................................ <jbincyberia@cox.nospam.net> wrote:
>
>>If I came out to my car and had a completely flat battery...how would
>>you get the doors unlocked on these newer Volvos where the key doesn't
>>actually unlock the door physically, but through an electrical motor?
>>Or, maybe I should duct tape a brick to the roof rail for just such an
>>eventuality. If I called the Auto Club for a jump, even though the
>>battery is under the floor in the rear, is there a way of popping the
>>hood in an emergency? If you could remove the grille, there could be a
>>way to reach in and move the lever that's on the cable from the inside
>>of the car.

>
>
> Jack up the front of the car and attach the positive jumper cable to the
> main power cable to the starter, which goes directly to the battery.
> Attach the negative cable to bare metal on the engine or chassis. Connect
> the other ends to a good battery, unlock the door and open whatever you
> need to get to the battery. Disconnect cables, lower the car, and connect
> directly to the battery.
>
>
>>I can just see people all over the world shaking their heads in disblief
>>over my obvious lack of having a life and thinking of such things.

>
>
> It's not an uncommon problem these days; better to anticipate it and have
> a plan to deal with it..
>
>
> Gary
>

Next to the big fuse and breaker box under the hood there is a little
flap with a big (+) sign molded into it. Flipping up that flap reveals
the big thick red cable coming from the battery in the rear with a
second thick red cable that runs down to the starter. If there was an
easy way to open the hood from the outside, then access would be a snap.
 
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-13-05, 05:02 PM
Randy G.
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Just Out Of Curiosity....

"........................................................"
<jbincyberia@cox.nospam.net> wrote:

>If I came out to my car and had a completely flat battery...how would
>you get the doors unlocked on these newer Volvos where the key doesn't
>actually unlock the door physically, but through an electrical motor?
>Or, maybe I should duct tape a brick to the roof rail for just such an
>eventuality. If I called the Auto Club for a jump, even though the
>battery is under the floor in the rear, is there a way of popping the
>hood in an emergency? If you could remove the grille, there could be a
>way to reach in and move the lever that's on the cable from the inside
>of the car.
>I can just see people all over the world shaking their heads in disblief
>over my obvious lack of having a life and thinking of such things.
>


tee hee:

Now available at your Volvo Dealer- the Volvo emergency entry kit:
011-122-232-088 - Swedish emergency entry-device fastening tape
011-122-232-089 - Swedish vitrious heat-cured entry device

__ __
Randy & \ \/ /alerie's
\__/olvos
'90 245 Estate - '93 965 Estate
"Shelby" & "Kate"
 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > PAG Vehicle Discussion > Volvo
Gear in this thread - Powered by O'Reilly Auto Parts


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome