Not sure if a 1977 V70 is the same but I guess it could well be.
Our keyless locking system started doing very odd things similar to yours
and also occasionally locked and unlocked the doors when the car was
running. Turned out to be the door lock control mechanism. I am not
entirely clear what this is as Volvo replaced it under my extended warranty
but I seem to recall that it also activated the alarm system. I was told by
the garage that this was something like a £600 part !!! so presumably there
is a bit more to it than it being an activating solenoid. They also told me
that it was not the first thay had replaced either.
I hope your prob is something simpler. If it is such a pricy part then
perhaps a scrappy beckons.
"Doug Warner" <firstname.lastname@example.org> wrote in message
"Jim Giblin" <jgiblinPublic@abetterplacetobe.com> wrote:
>I just noticed that the 'Lock' button on the key fob for my '95 850 no
>longer locks the doors. However, once locked with the key, the 'Unlock'
>button on the fob works as always. I tried changing the battery in the fob
>and the Lock still doesn't work. I also tried a spare fob and the same
>condition occurred (Lock - no, Unlock - yes). The problem must be with the
>locking mechanism in the car itself. Anybody run into this condition?
>The only recent mechanical work done on the car was to replace the air
>condition condenser. The work was done yesterday and that makes me think
>this may be related (although I can't imagine how). Is the condenser
>anywhere near the door lock receiver or mechanism? Is the wiring nearby?
The door lock receiver is to the right of the glove compartment. If
the evaporator was replaced (dash disassembled), then it's a
Otherwise, it may be the same problem I experienced (and fixed)
recently on ky 94 wagon.
With the doors locked, unlock each door (and trunk/tailgate) with the
key, If, after unlocking it, both remote buttons work, then you have
the same problem I had. (Description and repost below).
If unlocking that door has no effect, lock it again and move on to the
next. (Not sure how this would work with the keyless reaar doors
**** REPOST of 4/29/05 message ****
One day, I noticed that the tailgate didn't lock when I locked the
rest of the doors, via remote, or key. So, I locked the tailgate with
Some time later, I noticed that the remote was NOT locking the doors.
I could unlock, but I had to lock it via the driver's door key, which
also locked all the other doors (except the tailgate). The spare
remote exhibited the same behavior, so the problem was in the car.
If I used the key in the driver's door, every other door except the
tailgate would lock and unlock with it.
Some initial troubleshooting revealed that, if the tailgagte was
manually unlocked, then the remote would both lock, and unlock the
I pulled the tailgate latch assy, and noticed that the seam of the
plastic motor housing was split open along the plunger side. (arrows
in this photo:
I wish I had remembered to phoograph the innards, but the way is works
is that the motor (in the left side) via reductrion gears, drives a
coarse pitch that runs up the middle of the plunger.
The screw engages a sliding block that travels between the plunger
legs, and carries it up, or down via spring loaded detents. It
releases it's grip on the plunger at the end of it's travel in either
direction, so the key lock is free to move the plunger as well.
At the bottom of it's travel (unlocked), the plunger activates a
switch, that signals to the central locking relay that it's locked.
When it's up, an "unlocked" signal lead is grounded instead..
The casing was split along the plunger side, apparently keeping it
from actuating the switch properly. When unlocked, it was still
signalling the lock relay (which contains some logic) that the rear
door was locked, while the other doors were grounding the "unlocked"
signal. Receiving both "locked" and "unlocked" signals prevented the
locking relay from responding to the input from the remote receiver.
When the tailgate was unlocked, the relay still received mixed signals
in the opposite direction, but somehow, this didn't prevent it from
I tried gluing the housing with cyanoacrylic cement, but it split open
again on the first cycling of the remote. So, I re-glued it and
reinforced it with shortened staples sunk into the plastic with a
soldering iron, then secured with some more glue.
Looks messy, but it's worth about $300 to me :-)
I think that the motor had a bit of overrun, and when the drive block
ran into the stop, the remaining torque worked to split the casing
It works fine now. And, I've finally removed the loose tailgate liner
so I can repair the clip anchor holes.
Also, the receiver has only four connections, 12V, ground, ignition,
and output, which is pulsed differently for lock and unlock remote
functions, so, if works one way, then all the wires are connected.
To reply, please remove one letter from each side of "@"
Spammers are VERMIN. Please kill them all.