is the mileage in my new S60 2.5T too low? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > PAG Vehicle Discussion > Volvo
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2005, 00:01   #1 (permalink)
John Doe
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
is the mileage in my new S60 2.5T too low?

This is a re-post; I asked the same question in some thread and I guess
it didn't get much visibility.

I seem to average just about 21 mpg in my new S60 (mostly freeway,
moderate traffic). The car barely has 1000 miles on it and I know that
new engines take a while till they break in and reach the stated
mileage. It took about 4K miles in my other car and I think the
improvement was around 15% or so. If this is any similar, 15% will
barely put my freeway mileage around 24. This is still way lower than
the 30 mpg I'm supposed to get.
I use regular (89) gasoline, I guess using premium would improve the
mileage a bit but again, it can't improve that much.

What average and freeway mileage do you S60 owners out there get? Should
I be concerned and maybe take it in for testing or is this normal this
early in the car's life?


J.
  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 08-24-2005, 05:01   #2 (permalink)
Bonnet Lock
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: is the mileage in my new S60 2.5T too low?

In an earlier contribution to this discussion,
John Doe <john@doe.com> wrote:

> This is a re-post; I asked the same question in some thread and I
> guess it didn't get much visibility.
>
> I seem to average just about 21 mpg in my new S60 (mostly freeway,
> moderate traffic). The car barely has 1000 miles on it and I know that
> new engines take a while till they break in and reach the stated
> mileage. It took about 4K miles in my other car and I think the
> improvement was around 15% or so. If this is any similar, 15% will
> barely put my freeway mileage around 24. This is still way lower than
> the 30 mpg I'm supposed to get.
> I use regular (89) gasoline, I guess using premium would improve the
> mileage a bit but again, it can't improve that much.
>
> What average and freeway mileage do you S60 owners out there get?
> Should I be concerned and maybe take it in for testing or is this
> normal this early in the car's life?
>
>
> J.


Maybe you'd have got more response if you'd written the question in English!
Surely mileage is the total distance driven - like 1000 miles in your
case - whereas what you're worried about is *fuel consumption*, measured in
terms of distance covered per unit of fuel.

Assuming you've got a 2.5 litre engine with automatic transmission (does
*anybody* know how to drive a car with a manual transmission - and clutch
pedal - your side of the Pond?), 21 miles per US gallon - which equates to
just over 25 miles per proper (Imperial) gallon - doesn't sound too bad. As
you suggest it will probably go up a bit when the car's properly run in.
--
Cheers,
Bonnet Lock
______
Please reply to newsgroup. Reply address is invalid.


  Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 17:01   #3 (permalink)
Cheery Littlebottom
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: is the mileage in my new S60 2.5T too low?

On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 10:57:59 +0100, "Bonnet Lock" <vol@privacy.net>
wrote:

>In an earlier contribution to this discussion,
>John Doe <john@doe.com> wrote:
>>
>> I seem to average just about 21 mpg in my new S60 (mostly freeway,
>> moderate traffic). The car barely has 1000 miles on it and I know that
>> new engines take a while till they break in and reach the stated
>> mileage. It took about 4K miles in my other car and I think the
>> improvement was around 15% or so. If this is any similar, 15% will
>> barely put my freeway mileage around 24. This is still way lower than
>> the 30 mpg I'm supposed to get.
>> I use regular (89) gasoline, I guess using premium would improve the
>> mileage a bit but again, it can't improve that much.
>>
>> What average and freeway mileage do you S60 owners out there get?
>> Should I be concerned and maybe take it in for testing or is this
>> normal this early in the car's life?
>>
>>
>> J.

>
>Maybe you'd have got more response if you'd written the question in English!


You forgot the <g>...

>Surely mileage is the total distance driven - like 1000 miles in your
>case - whereas what you're worried about is *fuel consumption*, measured in
>terms of distance covered per unit of fuel.


Well, that's what I read , anyway

>Assuming you've got a 2.5 litre engine with automatic transmission (does
>*anybody* know how to drive a car with a manual transmission - and clutch
>pedal - your side of the Pond?),


Yep. My manual transmission cars outnumber my automatics...

>21 miles per US gallon - which equates to
>just over 25 miles per proper (Imperial) gallon - doesn't sound too bad. As
>you suggest it will probably go up a bit when the car's properly run in.


My 01 V70 gets 26 - 27 mpg regularly. In town a little less, on the
highway a little more. I use (mostly) the premium grade of fuel - two
years ago, the increase in mileage (and we all know what I'm talking
about by now) more than offset the increased cost. As fuel prices go
up, the difference in cost remains at $0.10 per grade, so that
difference is eve less now.

Were I you, I'd sling some Premium in the car and go for a long ride,
and see if it makes a difference. Having said that, 21 mpg, even on
Regular, sounds a bit too high. I doubt you'll ever gett he
advertised 30 mpg either, but you should be closer.

Cheers,
CL
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 23:01   #4 (permalink)
John Doe
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: is the mileage in my new S60 2.5T too low?

Thank you for your answer, dear sarcastic writer!

I thought I did write my previous post in English (the unit of measure
known as "miles to the gallon" is usually referred to as "mileage" in
the United States). Said mileage is also measured in US units, hence the
conversion to the "proper" gallon doesn't help me much.
I don't mean to rub it in (being European myself, I know this hurts to
hear over there), but I do own three other cars, all with manual
transmission (also known as "stick shift" in the US), so yes, some of us
here do know how to drive a manual.

Have a better day!

J.



Bonnet Lock wrote:
> In an earlier contribution to this discussion,
> John Doe <john@doe.com> wrote:
>
>
>>This is a re-post; I asked the same question in some thread and I
>>guess it didn't get much visibility.
>>
>>I seem to average just about 21 mpg in my new S60 (mostly freeway,
>>moderate traffic). The car barely has 1000 miles on it and I know that
>>new engines take a while till they break in and reach the stated
>>mileage. It took about 4K miles in my other car and I think the
>>improvement was around 15% or so. If this is any similar, 15% will
>>barely put my freeway mileage around 24. This is still way lower than
>>the 30 mpg I'm supposed to get.
>>I use regular (89) gasoline, I guess using premium would improve the
>>mileage a bit but again, it can't improve that much.
>>
>>What average and freeway mileage do you S60 owners out there get?
>>Should I be concerned and maybe take it in for testing or is this
>>normal this early in the car's life?
>>
>>
>>J.

>
>
> Maybe you'd have got more response if you'd written the question in English!
> Surely mileage is the total distance driven - like 1000 miles in your
> case - whereas what you're worried about is *fuel consumption*, measured in
> terms of distance covered per unit of fuel.
>
> Assuming you've got a 2.5 litre engine with automatic transmission (does
> *anybody* know how to drive a car with a manual transmission - and clutch
> pedal - your side of the Pond?), 21 miles per US gallon - which equates to
> just over 25 miles per proper (Imperial) gallon - doesn't sound too bad. As
> you suggest it will probably go up a bit when the car's properly run in.

  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > PAG Vehicle Discussion > Volvo



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:09.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.