Need Spark Wire to Distributor Cap Diagram for 1984 242 - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > PAG Vehicle Discussion > Volvo
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2005, 03:03   #1 (permalink)
Dave
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Need Spark Wire to Distributor Cap Diagram for 1984 242

Does anyone have a copy of the spark plug wire to distributor cap diagram.

My totally useless Haynes manual is of no help.

Please e-mail to: n7rk@cox.net

Thanks,

Dave
  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 10-25-2005, 03:03   #2 (permalink)
James Sweet
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Need Spark Wire to Distributor Cap Diagram for 1984 242

Dave wrote:
> Does anyone have a copy of the spark plug wire to distributor cap diagram.
>
> My totally useless Haynes manual is of no help.
>
> Please e-mail to: n7rk@cox.net
>
> Thanks,
>
> Dave



It depends on the orientation the distributor is installed. Firing order
is 1-3-4-2 with the distributor rotating clockwise. Start #1 at the post
the rotor is pointing near with the #1 (front) cylinder at TDC. Not sure
what you mean about the Haynes manual being useless, mine lists all that
in the chapter on tune up.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 03:03   #3 (permalink)
Randy G.
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Need Spark Wire to Distributor Cap Diagram for 1984 242

James Sweet <jamessweet@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Dave wrote:
>> Does anyone have a copy of the spark plug wire to distributor cap diagram.
>>
>> My totally useless Haynes manual is of no help.
>>
>> Please e-mail to: n7rk@cox.net
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Dave

>
>
>It depends on the orientation the distributor is installed. Firing order
>is 1-3-4-2 with the distributor rotating clockwise. Start #1 at the post
>the rotor is pointing near with the #1 (front) cylinder at TDC. Not sure
>what you mean about the Haynes manual being useless, mine lists all that
> in the chapter on tune up.



Dave- iof you totally are lost do this:

1) remove spark plugs
2) remove distributor cap
3) put finger over #1 cylinder's spark plug hole
4) manually turn motor over in correct direction
5) you will fell air being compressed when the cylinder is coming up
on compression stroke.
6) When the air stops being compressed is the point at about which is
TDC. You can verify the exact location of TDC now using the timing
marks on the harmonic balancer/crank pulley
7) The rotor is now pointing at #1 cylinder.
Using James' info, from there, the next cylinder looking clockwise on
the dist cap is 3, and then 4 and finally 2.

I hope that is what you were asking for...

__ __
Randy & \ \/ /alerie's
\__/olvos
'90 245 Estate - '93 965 Estate
"Shelby" & "Kate"
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 08:01   #4 (permalink)
jg
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Need Spark Wire to Distributor Cap Diagram for 1984 242


"Randy G." <frcn@DESPAMMOcncnet.com> wrote in message
news:2m9rl15q5n3j8opgt05r6gv2livukkmf8q@4ax.com...
> James Sweet <jamessweet@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> >Dave wrote:
> >> Does anyone have a copy of the spark plug wire to distributor cap

diagram.
> >>
> >> My totally useless Haynes manual is of no help.
> >>
> >> Please e-mail to: n7rk@cox.net
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >>
> >> Dave

> >
> >
> >It depends on the orientation the distributor is installed. Firing order
> >is 1-3-4-2 with the distributor rotating clockwise. Start #1 at the post
> >the rotor is pointing near with the #1 (front) cylinder at TDC. Not sure
> >what you mean about the Haynes manual being useless, mine lists all that
> > in the chapter on tune up.

>
>
> Dave- iof you totally are lost do this:
>
> 1) remove spark plugs
> 2) remove distributor cap
> 3) put finger over #1 cylinder's spark plug hole
> 4) manually turn motor over in correct direction
> 5) you will fell air being compressed when the cylinder is coming up
> on compression stroke.
> 6) When the air stops being compressed is the point at about which is
> TDC. You can verify the exact location of TDC now using the timing
> marks on the harmonic balancer/crank pulley
> 7) The rotor is now pointing at #1 cylinder.
> Using James' info, from there, the next cylinder looking clockwise on
> the dist cap is 3, and then 4 and finally 2.
>
> I hope that is what you were asking for...
>

You're wasted on fixing old cars, Randy (and James, and a few others here).
The amount of thought and effort you put in ought to be directed at
inventing and building something altogether better than petrol engines and
the vehicles we use.....nice though volvos are.


  Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 12:01   #5 (permalink)
Randy G.
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Need Spark Wire to Distributor Cap Diagram for 1984 242

"jg" <jg@nospam.com> wrote:

>
>>

>You're wasted on fixing old cars, Randy (and James, and a few others here).
>The amount of thought and effort you put in ought to be directed at
>inventing and building something altogether better than petrol engines and
>the vehicles we use.....nice though volvos are.
>


This group isn't all I do. I am busy on alt.coffee, and in other areas
as well:

My espresso/coffee website
http://www.EspressoMyEspresso.com

My newspaper's online homepage
http://home.surewest.net/frcn/
(I created all content including the logo)

My monthly newspaper which includes my column on the Internet and
other computer-related topics
http://home.surewest.net/frcn/FRCNpdf.html

My Digital imaging website with lots of lessons
http://home.surewest.net/frcn/Camera.html

The "FRCN University" with lots of lessons for computer users
http://home.surewest.net/frcn/FramLern.html

The "FRCNU Online Security Learning Center" with lots of info on
Internet and computer security:
http://home.surewest.net/frcn/Security/security.html

BMW Motorcycle Fork Alignment Procedure
http://w6rec.com/duane/bmw/fork/title.html

Electrical Wire Soldering For Beginners
http://w6rec.com/duane/bmw/solder/

And some of the websites I have created for others:

Chang Yue Industrial Corp
http://www.changyue.com.tw/

Hottop: USA Office of Cheng Yue
http://www.hottopusa.com/
(wrote most of the content as well as took nearly all of the photos)

Rick Mayer Cycle
http://www.rickmayercycle.com
(I created his logo as well)

There have been some other jobs that are not available online- coffee
related how-to guides and a couple of owners manuals for home
appliances for a commercial entity (paid for my Canon EOS 20D and
Sigma 24-70 DG lens!).

I occasionally give presentations to the local computer users' group-
January and February are on digital photography- Taking better
pictures in Jan '06 and how to improve bad pictures in Feb. '06.

I was a teacher for 20 years or so, so it just became an extension of
my teaching experience to share other interests. My major in college
was art and so computer graphics was a natural extension. I began
working on cars back in '67 or so, mostly for myself, but did work at
Montgomery Wards, part time in '70-'71 doing tires and batteries. And
I taught an "auto repair for women" for a little Independent Adult
Education school for a few years out of my home.


__ __
Randy & \ \/ /alerie's
\__/olvos
'90 245 Estate - '93 965 Estate
"Shelby" & "Kate"
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 15:01   #6 (permalink)
jg
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Need Spark Wire to Distributor Cap Diagram for 1984 242


"Randy G." <frcn@DESPAMMOcncnet.com> wrote in message
news:k5psl19i90rgpp4797avns8nr7sjjvmevm@4ax.com...
> "jg" <jg@nospam.com> wrote:
>
> >You're wasted on fixing old cars, Randy (and James, and a few others

here).
> >The amount of thought and effort you put in ought to be directed at
> >inventing and building something altogether better than petrol engines

and
> >the vehicles we use.....nice though volvos are.
> >

>
> This group isn't all I do. I am busy on alt.coffee, and in other areas
> as well:
>
> My espresso/coffee website
> http://www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
>
> My newspaper's online homepage
> http://home.surewest.net/frcn/
> (I created all content including the logo)
>
> My monthly newspaper which includes my column on the Internet and
> other computer-related topics
> http://home.surewest.net/frcn/FRCNpdf.html
>
> My Digital imaging website with lots of lessons
> http://home.surewest.net/frcn/Camera.html
>
> The "FRCN University" with lots of lessons for computer users
> http://home.surewest.net/frcn/FramLern.html
>
> The "FRCNU Online Security Learning Center" with lots of info on
> Internet and computer security:
> http://home.surewest.net/frcn/Security/security.html
>
> BMW Motorcycle Fork Alignment Procedure
> http://w6rec.com/duane/bmw/fork/title.html
>
> Electrical Wire Soldering For Beginners
> http://w6rec.com/duane/bmw/solder/
>
> And some of the websites I have created for others:
>
> Chang Yue Industrial Corp
> http://www.changyue.com.tw/
>
> Hottop: USA Office of Cheng Yue
> http://www.hottopusa.com/
> (wrote most of the content as well as took nearly all of the photos)
>
> Rick Mayer Cycle
> http://www.rickmayercycle.com
> (I created his logo as well)
>

.................
Very impressed! Anyone who thought coffee was bad for you.... Still, as a
general observation, and the thought often occurs to me passing a motor
super-modification shop - is this the peak of personal transport
development? Of the collective labour of all the clever builders and fixers
of engines in the world, we are still basically on the same track as Henry
Ford. Like slaves pushing a treadmill, there's a lot of work being done by
talented ppl on a very old principle, but none of it directed at breaking
out of the loop. I'm no smarter, all I can do is maintain this machine which
is largely devoted to overcoming its own inefficiencies and whine about it.


  Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 17:01   #7 (permalink)
James Sweet
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Need Spark Wire to Distributor Cap Diagram for 1984 242

> "jg" <jg@nospam.com> wrote:
>
>
>>You're wasted on fixing old cars, Randy (and James, and a few others here).
>>The amount of thought and effort you put in ought to be directed at
>>inventing and building something altogether better than petrol engines and
>>the vehicles we use.....nice though volvos are.
>>



Old cars are just something I do to relax and unwind, a waste of time it
may be, but then I don't watch TV, vegetate on the couch all day, or any
number of other non productive activities many do. Yes it would be nice
to have a viable alternative to petrol engines but from an engineering
standpoint an old Volvo is a work of art, a masterpiece of the
technology available at the time and fascinating to tinker with, it
seems those Swedes thought of everything.

A software guy by trade, I also spend a fair amount of time dabbling in
electrical and mechanical engineering, HVAC, construction, lighting,
chemistry and any number of other oddball things. A day without learning
something new and useful is a wasted day.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 20:01   #8 (permalink)
jg
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Need Spark Wire to Distributor Cap Diagram for 1984 242


"James Sweet" <jamessweet@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:1Hx7f.4113$HW5.2496@trnddc04...
> > "jg" <jg@nospam.com> wrote:
> >
> >
> >>You're wasted on fixing old cars, Randy (and James, and a few others

here).
> >>The amount of thought and effort you put in ought to be directed at
> >>inventing and building something altogether better than petrol engines

and
> >>the vehicles we use.....nice though volvos are.
> >>

> Old cars are just something I do to relax and unwind, a waste of time it
> may be, but then I don't watch TV, vegetate on the couch all day, or any
> number of other non productive activities many do. Yes it would be nice
> to have a viable alternative to petrol engines but from an engineering
> standpoint an old Volvo is a work of art, a masterpiece of the
> technology available at the time and fascinating to tinker with, it
> seems those Swedes thought of everything.
>
> A software guy by trade, I also spend a fair amount of time dabbling in
> electrical and mechanical engineering, HVAC, construction, lighting,
> chemistry and any number of other oddball things. A day without learning
> something new and useful is a wasted day.


Had hoped my comment would not be taken the wrong way, was meant more as a
sideways compliment. I enjoyed fixing cars too before time became so
limited. Used to build sailing dinghies so I know all about "wasted time".
With an engineering background I certainly appreciate the engineering in
volvos, but I began to resent being unable to find (uninterrupted) time and
then I worked out cars (in my price bracket at least), use more fuel in a
year than they cost.


  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > PAG Vehicle Discussion > Volvo



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:05.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.