oil light on at freeway speed - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > PAG Vehicle Discussion > Volvo
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2005, 00:28   #1 (permalink)
Patrick t.
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
oil light on at freeway speed

The oil is fine, it just goes on at certain times on the freeway but
not always. loose wire, sender unit faulty or other???????????????

It is a 1984 240 gl. An opinions are helpful.
  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 06-14-2005, 00:28   #2 (permalink)
Bev A. Kupf
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: oil light on at freeway speed

On Sat, 11 Jun 2005 14:45:07 -0700,
Patrick t (patrickthatyahoo.com@) wrote:
> The oil is fine, it just goes on at certain times on the freeway but
> not always. loose wire, sender unit faulty or other???????????????
>
> It is a 1984 240 gl. An opinions are helpful.


Have you temporarily replaced the pressure-sending unit with an oil
pressure gauge and verified pressure is okay? If so, then I'm guessing
a loose connection at the dashboard end, only because I've heard of
that happening. My understanding is that the sending units are fairly
simple and don't do bad very easily. The sending units used to be
very cheap, but getting it out requires a deep socket.

Beverly
--
Many a smale maketh a grate -- Geoffrey Chaucer
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 00:28   #3 (permalink)
Boris Mohar
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: oil light on at freeway speed

On Sat, 11 Jun 2005 14:45:07 -0700, Patrick t. <patrickthatyahoo.com@> wrote:

>The oil is fine, it just goes on at certain times on the freeway but
>not always. loose wire, sender unit faulty or other???????????????
>
>It is a 1984 240 gl. An opinions are helpful.


Sometimes the insulation in the vicinity of the sender can abrade by rubbing
against a chassis. Eventually the wire inside will complete a circuit to
ground which will turn on the oil light. Oil pressure sender works the same
way by grounding that wire at low pressure.



Regards,

Boris Mohar

Got Knock? - see:
Viatrack Printed Circuit Designs (among other things) http://www.viatrack.ca
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 00:28   #4 (permalink)
Patrick t.
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: oil light on at freeway speed

On Sat, 11 Jun 2005 22:42:02 GMT, "Bev A. Kupf" <bevakupf@myhome.net>
wrote:

>On Sat, 11 Jun 2005 14:45:07 -0700,
> Patrick t (patrickthatyahoo.com@) wrote:
>> The oil is fine, it just goes on at certain times on the freeway but
>> not always. loose wire, sender unit faulty or other???????????????
>>
>> It is a 1984 240 gl. An opinions are helpful.

>
>Have you temporarily replaced the pressure-sending unit with an oil
>pressure gauge and verified pressure is okay? If so, then I'm guessing
>a loose connection at the dashboard end, only because I've heard of
>that happening. My understanding is that the sending units are fairly
>simple and don't do bad very easily. The sending units used to be
>very cheap, but getting it out requires a deep socket.
>
>Beverly

I will try that. I suppose an 02 socket should work. Thank you.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 00:28   #5 (permalink)
Patrick t.
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: oil light on at freeway speed

On Sat, 11 Jun 2005 19:12:23 -0400, Boris Mohar
<borism_-void-_@sympatico.ca> wrote:

>On Sat, 11 Jun 2005 14:45:07 -0700, Patrick t. <patrickthatyahoo.com@> wrote:
>
>>The oil is fine, it just goes on at certain times on the freeway but
>>not always. loose wire, sender unit faulty or other???????????????
>>
>>It is a 1984 240 gl. An opinions are helpful.

>
>Sometimes the insulation in the vicinity of the sender can abrade by rubbing
>against a chassis. Eventually the wire inside will complete a circuit to
>ground which will turn on the oil light. Oil pressure sender works the same
>way by grounding that wire at low pressure.
>
>

I will take a look at that insulation too. I had a 1952 MGTD that used
to do that when the tac shimied where it entered the distributor
housing, drove me nuts. Thanks


>Regards,
>
>Boris Mohar
>
>Got Knock? - see:
>Viatrack Printed Circuit Designs (among other things) http://www.viatrack.ca


  Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 00:28   #6 (permalink)
James Sweet
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: oil light on at freeway speed


"Patrick t." <patrickthatyahoo.com@> wrote in message
news:3mlna1l0t3u53vug843osk0mnrqfi4tm33@4ax.com...
> On Sat, 11 Jun 2005 19:12:23 -0400, Boris Mohar
> <borism_-void-_@sympatico.ca> wrote:
>
> >On Sat, 11 Jun 2005 14:45:07 -0700, Patrick t. <patrickthatyahoo.com@>

wrote:
> >
> >>The oil is fine, it just goes on at certain times on the freeway but
> >>not always. loose wire, sender unit faulty or other???????????????
> >>
> >>It is a 1984 240 gl. An opinions are helpful.

> >
> >Sometimes the insulation in the vicinity of the sender can abrade by

rubbing
> >against a chassis. Eventually the wire inside will complete a circuit to
> >ground which will turn on the oil light. Oil pressure sender works the

same
> >way by grounding that wire at low pressure.
> >
> >

> I will take a look at that insulation too. I had a 1952 MGTD that used
> to do that when the tac shimied where it entered the distributor
> housing, drove me nuts. Thanks
>
>
>


Unless it's been fixed before, the insulation is certainly ratty at this
point, the whole wiring harness tends to disintegrate within the outer
sheath, they corrected this in the late 80s.


  Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 00:29   #7 (permalink)
Patrick t.
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: oil light on at freeway speed

On Sun, 12 Jun 2005 09:25:11 GMT, "James Sweet"
<jamessweet@hotmail.com> wrote:

>
>"Patrick t." <patrickthatyahoo.com@> wrote in message
>news:3mlna1l0t3u53vug843osk0mnrqfi4tm33@4ax.com...
>> On Sat, 11 Jun 2005 19:12:23 -0400, Boris Mohar
>> <borism_-void-_@sympatico.ca> wrote:
>>
>> >On Sat, 11 Jun 2005 14:45:07 -0700, Patrick t. <patrickthatyahoo.com@>

>wrote:
>> >
>> >>The oil is fine, it just goes on at certain times on the freeway but
>> >>not always. loose wire, sender unit faulty or other???????????????
>> >>
>> >>It is a 1984 240 gl. An opinions are helpful.
>> >
>> >Sometimes the insulation in the vicinity of the sender can abrade by

>rubbing
>> >against a chassis. Eventually the wire inside will complete a circuit to
>> >ground which will turn on the oil light. Oil pressure sender works the

>same
>> >way by grounding that wire at low pressure.
>> >
>> >

>> I will take a look at that insulation too. I had a 1952 MGTD that used
>> to do that when the tac shimied where it entered the distributor
>> housing, drove me nuts. Thanks
>>
>>
>>

>
>Unless it's been fixed before, the insulation is certainly ratty at this
>point, the whole wiring harness tends to disintegrate within the outer
>sheath, they corrected this in the late 80s.
>

Yea, I thought I caught that somewhere before. I bought this car for
$450, put new brakes, rotors, etc. on it and cleaned it up nice and am
going to give it to a friend of mine. He is getting on in years so I
want to make sure I don't turn him into a involuntary mechanic or
worry him half to death every time he gets on a freeway.


  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > PAG Vehicle Discussion > Volvo



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:48.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.