oil line question - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > PAG Vehicle Discussion > Volvo
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2005, 21:01   #1 (permalink)
Steve
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
oil line question

OK, I am lazy I admit it.
I brought the 94 940 turbo into the garage for an oil change and looked
under it.

Looks like a typical car, however right at the oil filter mounting plate
there are oil lines that go to (I guess) either a oil cooler or the turbo
(or both?)

looking on the us passanger side toward the front of the car some one put a
simple rubber hose on the oil filter plate boss where I suppose a barb
nipple holds it on with a hose clamp.

This cheap set up filled me with considerable fear of long trips where the
oil gets real hot swells the hose and ...god I dont even want to think of
what might happen.

Is a hose of SUITABLE quality whats suposta be there, or is there some steel
pipe ting, or what?

Thanks

--Steve


  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-16-2005, 07:01   #2 (permalink)
Mike F
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: oil line question

Steve wrote:
>
> OK, I am lazy I admit it.
> I brought the 94 940 turbo into the garage for an oil change and looked
> under it.
>
> Looks like a typical car, however right at the oil filter mounting plate
> there are oil lines that go to (I guess) either a oil cooler or the turbo
> (or both?)
>
> looking on the us passanger side toward the front of the car some one put a
> simple rubber hose on the oil filter plate boss where I suppose a barb
> nipple holds it on with a hose clamp.
>
> This cheap set up filled me with considerable fear of long trips where the
> oil gets real hot swells the hose and ...god I dont even want to think of
> what might happen.
>
> Is a hose of SUITABLE quality whats suposta be there, or is there some steel
> pipe ting, or what?
>
> Thanks
>
> --Steve


Those hoses carry coolant not oil. If you're worried about them, buy
new ones, and new clamps too.

--
Mike F.
Thornhill (near Toronto), Ont.

Replace tt with t (twice!) and remove parentheses to email me directly.
(But I check the newsgroup more often than this email address.)
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 12:01   #3 (permalink)
James Sweet
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: oil line question

Mike F wrote:
> Steve wrote:
>
>>OK, I am lazy I admit it.
>>I brought the 94 940 turbo into the garage for an oil change and looked
>>under it.
>>
>>Looks like a typical car, however right at the oil filter mounting plate
>>there are oil lines that go to (I guess) either a oil cooler or the turbo
>>(or both?)
>>
>>looking on the us passanger side toward the front of the car some one put a
>>simple rubber hose on the oil filter plate boss where I suppose a barb
>>nipple holds it on with a hose clamp.
>>
>>This cheap set up filled me with considerable fear of long trips where the
>>oil gets real hot swells the hose and ...god I dont even want to think of
>>what might happen.
>>
>>Is a hose of SUITABLE quality whats suposta be there, or is there some steel
>>pipe ting, or what?
>>
>>Thanks
>>
>>--Steve

>
>
> Those hoses carry coolant not oil. If you're worried about them, buy
> new ones, and new clamps too.
>



Coolant? Isn't he talking about the oil cooler lines that connect to the
oil filter mount? The turbo water lines only connect to the turbo and
they go to the radiator hoses.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 17:01   #4 (permalink)
User
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: oil line question

In article <EMLef.19198$%t4.11927@trnddc07>, jamessweet@hotmail.com
says...
> >
> >
> > Those hoses carry coolant not oil. If you're worried about them, buy
> > new ones, and new clamps too.
> >

>
>
> Coolant? Isn't he talking about the oil cooler lines that connect to the
> oil filter mount? The turbo water lines only connect to the turbo and
> they go to the radiator hoses.
>

It's caled an oil cooler, but it's really a cooler/warmer. It brings the
oil up to temperature quicker in cold weather and helps cool it down in
hot weather. If you're noy careful when changing the oil you can cock it
so it will chafe a hole and puke all the coolant.

Bob
--
The goal when driving is to miss the maximum number of objects.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 18:01   #5 (permalink)
Steve
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: oil line question

Those *are* the lines in question.

I was relieved for a 1/2 day...sigh.
What do I to to correct this?

"James Sweet" <jamessweet@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:EMLef.19198$%t4.11927@trnddc07...
> Mike F wrote:
> > Steve wrote:
> >
> >>OK, I am lazy I admit it.
> >>I brought the 94 940 turbo into the garage for an oil change and looked
> >>under it.
> >>
> >>Looks like a typical car, however right at the oil filter mounting plate
> >>there are oil lines that go to (I guess) either a oil cooler or the

turbo
> >>(or both?)
> >>
> >>looking on the us passanger side toward the front of the car some one

put a
> >>simple rubber hose on the oil filter plate boss where I suppose a barb
> >>nipple holds it on with a hose clamp.
> >>
> >>This cheap set up filled me with considerable fear of long trips where

the
> >>oil gets real hot swells the hose and ...god I dont even want to think

of
> >>what might happen.
> >>
> >>Is a hose of SUITABLE quality whats suposta be there, or is there some

steel
> >>pipe ting, or what?
> >>
> >>Thanks
> >>
> >>--Steve

> >
> >
> > Those hoses carry coolant not oil. If you're worried about them, buy
> > new ones, and new clamps too.
> >

>
>
> Coolant? Isn't he talking about the oil cooler lines that connect to the
> oil filter mount? The turbo water lines only connect to the turbo and
> they go to the radiator hoses.



  Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 19:01   #6 (permalink)
James Sweet
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: oil line question

Steve wrote:
> Those *are* the lines in question.
>
> I was relieved for a 1/2 day...sigh.
> What do I to to correct this?
>



If they've been altered from original setup you could replace them with
new hoses, if you just don't like the original setup (rubber hoses with
crimped metal fittings on the end) you could get some braided stainless
covered lines from a race shop.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 09:01   #7 (permalink)
Mike F
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: oil line question

James Sweet wrote:
>
> Coolant? Isn't he talking about the oil cooler lines that connect to the
> oil filter mount? The turbo water lines only connect to the turbo and
> they go to the radiator hoses.


Originally with Volvo turbos (your car for example) there were hoses
that carried oil from a thermostatic device at the base of the oil
filter to an air cooled heat exchanger. With the intercooler and
radiator redesign in the early '90s, the thing at the base of the filter
became a liquid to liquid heat exchanger that has coolant in the hoses.
With the 850, they sent the oil (so oil in hoses again) to a liquid to
liquid heat exchanger in one of the rad tanks similar to the
transmission cooler. Then in 1999 this heat exchanger was mounted on
the side of the engine (so no oil hoses again), which is where it has
been on every turbo since, as far as I know.

As Bob mentions in another post, these liquid to liquid heat exchangers
also heat up the oil when it's cooler than the coolant temperature,
aiding warmup.

--
Mike F.
Thornhill (near Toronto), Ont.

Replace tt with t (twice!) and remove parentheses to email me directly.
(But I check the newsgroup more often than this email address.)
  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > PAG Vehicle Discussion > Volvo



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:40.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.