Which oil for the summer? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > PAG Vehicle Discussion > Volvo
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2005, 01:28   #1 (permalink)
Adam
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Which oil for the summer?

I have a Volvo 850GLT wagon. In the winter I used Mobil 1 5W30 synthetic.
Now I want to use Mobil 1 10W30 synthetic. The garage, do to cost wants to
stop using Mobil 1 and recommends German Lubro Moly Voll-Synthese 5W40.
Which oil should I use Mobil 1 10W30 or Lubro Moly 5W40?
I read somewhere on the net that to big of a range between low and high
viscosity rating is no good.
Adam


  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 06-14-2005, 01:28   #2 (permalink)
James Sweet
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Which oil for the summer?


"Adam" <replyto@newsgroup.com> wrote in message
news:8HWpe.11302$_n2.1009513@news20.bellglobal.com...
> I have a Volvo 850GLT wagon. In the winter I used Mobil 1 5W30 synthetic.
> Now I want to use Mobil 1 10W30 synthetic. The garage, do to cost wants

to
> stop using Mobil 1 and recommends German Lubro Moly Voll-Synthese 5W40.
> Which oil should I use Mobil 1 10W30 or Lubro Moly 5W40?
> I read somewhere on the net that to big of a range between low and high
> viscosity rating is no good.
> Adam
>
>



I use Mobile 1 5W30 synthetic year round, never had a problem with it.


  Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 01:28   #3 (permalink)
Mike F
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Which oil for the summer?

Adam wrote:
>
> I have a Volvo 850GLT wagon. In the winter I used Mobil 1 5W30 synthetic.
> Now I want to use Mobil 1 10W30 synthetic. The garage, do to cost wants to
> stop using Mobil 1 and recommends German Lubro Moly Voll-Synthese 5W40.
> Which oil should I use Mobil 1 10W30 or Lubro Moly 5W40?
> I read somewhere on the net that to big of a range between low and high
> viscosity rating is no good.
> Adam


I use that exact oil in my cars, and have since new, or when I first got
them. I don't think there's a lot of difference pricewise between it
and Mobil 1, I use the Lubro Moly because it easier for me to procure.

What you've read about wide range multigrade oils applies to some
conventional oils, because they need to use additives to achieve the
"multigradeness". These additives have large molecules that can break
down under stresses in the engine. These additives are not needed as
much in a synthetic oil, with is naturally multigrade to begin with. My
V70 T5 which I bought new in 1998 has seen nothing but Lubro Moly 5W40
since 8000 km, and had absolutely no varnish buildup with 8000 km
changes. It now has 135k km.

--
Mike F.
Thornhill (near Toronto), Ont.

Replace tt with t (twice!) and remove parentheses to email me directly.
(But I check the newsgroup more often than this email address.)
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 01:28   #4 (permalink)
John Horner
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Which oil for the summer?

Adam wrote:
> I have a Volvo 850GLT wagon. In the winter I used Mobil 1 5W30 synthetic.
> Now I want to use Mobil 1 10W30 synthetic. The garage, do to cost wants to
> stop using Mobil 1 and recommends German Lubro Moly Voll-Synthese 5W40.
> Which oil should I use Mobil 1 10W30 or Lubro Moly 5W40?
> I read somewhere on the net that to big of a range between low and high
> viscosity rating is no good.
> Adam
>
>


The Lubro Moly 5W-40 synthetic is one of many very high quality oils
currently available and will be fine in your GLT.

John

  Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 03:01   #5 (permalink)
Administrator
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Which oil for the summer?

Hello Adam,
I have a third option for you: Try the Castrol Magnatec GTX 5W40 fully synthetic.I
couldn't believe the difference when I switched from Shell Helix.Smoooth !

> I have a Volvo 850GLT wagon. In the winter I used Mobil 1 5W30
> synthetic.
> Now I want to use Mobil 1 10W30 synthetic. The garage, do to cost
> wants to
> stop using Mobil 1 and recommends German Lubro Moly Voll-Synthese
> 5W40.
> Which oil should I use Mobil 1 10W30 or Lubro Moly 5W40?
> I read somewhere on the net that to big of a range between low and
> high
> viscosity rating is no good.
> Adam




  Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 07:01   #6 (permalink)
Mike F
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Which oil for the summer?

Administrator wrote:
>
> Hello Adam,
> I have a third option for you: Try the Castrol Magnatec GTX 5W40 fully synthetic.I
> couldn't believe the difference when I switched from Shell Helix.Smoooth !
>


Is this the same Castrol that is marketed as synthetic, but is not
really?

http://www.lubes-n-filters.com/newsl...csdefined.html

That's why I'll never buy another drop of Castrol oil.

--
Mike F.
Thornhill (near Toronto), Ont.

Replace tt with t (twice!) and remove parentheses to email me directly.
(But I check the newsgroup more often than this email address.)
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 17:01   #7 (permalink)
Bev A. Kupf
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Which oil for the summer?

On Thu, 16 Jun 2005 08:25:13 -0400,
Mike F ("mikef2316()"@allsttream.nett) wrote:
> Administrator wrote:
>>
>> Hello Adam,
>> I have a third option for you: Try the Castrol Magnatec GTX 5W40 fully synthetic.I
>> couldn't believe the difference when I switched from Shell Helix.Smoooth !
>>

>
> Is this the same Castrol that is marketed as synthetic, but is not
> really?


Not synthetic, by the definition of synthetic used by just about every
other motor oil manufacturer. This particular oil does have polymerized
PAOs mixed with fractionated hydrogenated mineral oil and other additives.
The percent of PAOs is not disclosed (and may be altered with
notification to the customer). Some people call it semi-synthetic, which
to me is a meaningless term.

Beverly
--
Many a smale maketh a grate -- Geoffrey Chaucer
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 10:01   #8 (permalink)
Mike F
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Which oil for the summer?

"Bev A. Kupf" wrote:
>
> Not synthetic, by the definition of synthetic used by just about every
> other motor oil manufacturer. This particular oil does have polymerized
> PAOs mixed with fractionated hydrogenated mineral oil and other additives.
> The percent of PAOs is not disclosed (and may be altered with
> notification to the customer). Some people call it semi-synthetic, which
> to me is a meaningless term.
>
> Beverly
> --
> Many a smale maketh a grate -- Geoffrey Chaucer


But what I don't like is they call it a synthetic, they price it like a
synthetic, but it costs them way less to produce. If they tried to
market it as "Just as good as synthetic but cheaper" then maybe I'd
still be using Castrol. But I feel they tried to pull a fast one and
rip me off.

--
Mike F.
Thornhill (near Toronto), Ont.

Replace tt with t (twice!) and remove parentheses to email me directly.
(But I check the newsgroup more often than this email address.)
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 11:01   #9 (permalink)
Bev A. Kupf
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Which oil for the summer?

On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 10:55:53 -0400,
Mike F ("mikef2316()"@allsttream.nett) wrote:
> But what I don't like is they call it a synthetic, they price it like a
> synthetic, but it costs them way less to produce. If they tried to
> market it as "Just as good as synthetic but cheaper" then maybe I'd
> still be using Castrol. But I feel they tried to pull a fast one and
> rip me off.


Also, I don't know if this is still the case, but their original
formulation that was pure fractionated hydrogenated mineral oil was
often associated with mucking up the oil pressure sending unit.

There was a thread about this in "Bob is the oil guy" forums several
years ago. My recollection is that most of the posts about this
problem were from Saab and Volkswagen owners.

Beverly
--
Many a smale maketh a grate -- Geoffrey Chaucer
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 22:01   #10 (permalink)
Adam
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Which oil for the summer?

Finally I let the garage use Lubro-Moly 5W40.
From time to time I have to add some oil, is it ok to mix the above with
Mobil 1 0W40 which is easier to get?
I also don't like the Castrol claim and will not touch the staff.
Adam


"Bev A. Kupf" <bevakupf@myhome.net> wrote in message
news:slrndb5ufj.68i.bevakupf@myhome.net...
> On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 10:55:53 -0400,
> Mike F ("mikef2316()"@allsttream.nett) wrote:
> > But what I don't like is they call it a synthetic, they price it like a
> > synthetic, but it costs them way less to produce. If they tried to
> > market it as "Just as good as synthetic but cheaper" then maybe I'd
> > still be using Castrol. But I feel they tried to pull a fast one and
> > rip me off.

>
> Also, I don't know if this is still the case, but their original
> formulation that was pure fractionated hydrogenated mineral oil was
> often associated with mucking up the oil pressure sending unit.
>
> There was a thread about this in "Bob is the oil guy" forums several
> years ago. My recollection is that most of the posts about this
> problem were from Saab and Volkswagen owners.
>
> Beverly
> --
> Many a smale maketh a grate -- Geoffrey Chaucer



  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > PAG Vehicle Discussion > Volvo



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:41.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.