Power steering - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-08-06, 10:01 AM
Mungo \Two Sheds\ Toadfoot
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Power steering

Hi all,

1989 740 - the power steering is heavy when the engine is first started,
especially if I'm using the brakes (driving out of a parking space, for
example). Does the power steering use vacuum at all? This generally only
happens if the car hasn't been started for a few hours and the steering
returns to normal after a turn or two of the wheel.

The fluid level is fine.

Any ideas?

Si


 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-08-06, 12:01 PM
Michael Pardee
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Power steering

"Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot" <ufdi@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:t4ednfA96dKeo1zeRVnyig@pipex.net...
> Hi all,
>
> 1989 740 - the power steering is heavy when the engine is first started,
> especially if I'm using the brakes (driving out of a parking space, for
> example). Does the power steering use vacuum at all? This generally only
> happens if the car hasn't been started for a few hours and the steering
> returns to normal after a turn or two of the wheel.
>
> The fluid level is fine.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Si
>

The power steering is all hydraulic - no vacuum. What you describe is a cold
weather phenomenon that is usually called "morning sickness." The seals in
the rack shrink and don't let the pressure develop until they warm up a bit.
It will gradually get worse, lasting longer and happening at warmer
temperatures. Rack rebuild or replacement is the real cure, I'm afraid. Not
cheap.

Maybe somebody has had good results from a power steering additive that is
supposed to revive seals. At this point, it isn't likely to hurt.

Mike


 
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-08-06, 12:01 PM
Mungo \Two Sheds\ Toadfoot
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Power steering

Michael Pardee wrote:
> "Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot" <ufdi@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:t4ednfA96dKeo1zeRVnyig@pipex.net...
>> Hi all,
>>
>> 1989 740 - the power steering is heavy when the engine is first
>> started,

>
> The power steering is all hydraulic - no vacuum. What you describe is
> a cold weather phenomenon that is usually called "morning sickness."
> The seals in the rack shrink and don't let the pressure develop until
> they warm up a bit. It will gradually get worse, lasting longer and
> happening at warmer temperatures. Rack rebuild or replacement is the
> real cure, I'm afraid. Not cheap.
>
> Maybe somebody has had good results from a power steering additive
> that is supposed to revive seals. At this point, it isn't likely to
> hurt.


Thanks Mike, I'll see what I can find to pour in there!

Si


 
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-08-06, 04:01 PM
Michael Cerkowski
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Power steering

Michael Pardee wrote:
>
> "Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot" <ufdi@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:t4ednfA96dKeo1zeRVnyig@pipex.net...
> > Hi all,
> >
> > 1989 740 - the power steering is heavy when the engine is first started,
> > especially if I'm using the brakes (driving out of a parking space, for
> > example). Does the power steering use vacuum at all? This generally only
> > happens if the car hasn't been started for a few hours and the steering
> > returns to normal after a turn or two of the wheel.
> >
> > The fluid level is fine.
> >
> > Any ideas?
> >
> > Si
> >

> The power steering is all hydraulic - no vacuum. What you describe is a cold
> weather phenomenon that is usually called "morning sickness." The seals in
> the rack shrink and don't let the pressure develop until they warm up a bit.
> It will gradually get worse, lasting longer and happening at warmer
> temperatures. Rack rebuild or replacement is the real cure, I'm afraid. Not
> cheap.
>
> Maybe somebody has had good results from a power steering additive that is
> supposed to revive seals. At this point, it isn't likely to hurt.
>
> Mike



Our '88 240 has had this syndrome (in all weather) for a year or
more. I
added some power steering fluid conditioner last year, and it hasn't
gotten
worse. I can't look up the brand right now, but if you want I'll look
tomorrow.
--







http://freevision.org/michael/index.html
 
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-11-06, 01:01 AM
User
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Power steering

In article <Pdydnc7IbMxQwFzenZ2dnUVZ8qidnZ2d@pipex.net>,
ufdi@hotmail.com says...
> Michael Pardee wrote:
> > "Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot" <ufdi@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > news:t4ednfA96dKeo1zeRVnyig@pipex.net...
> >> Hi all,
> >>
> >> 1989 740 - the power steering is heavy when the engine is first
> >> started,

> >
> > The power steering is all hydraulic - no vacuum. What you describe is
> > a cold weather phenomenon that is usually called "morning sickness."
> > The seals in the rack shrink and don't let the pressure develop until
> > they warm up a bit. It will gradually get worse, lasting longer and
> > happening at warmer temperatures. Rack rebuild or replacement is the
> > real cure, I'm afraid. Not cheap.
> >
> > Maybe somebody has had good results from a power steering additive
> > that is supposed to revive seals. At this point, it isn't likely to
> > hurt.

>
> Thanks Mike, I'll see what I can find to pour in there!
>
> Si
>
>
>

It was a common problem for many mfrs throughout the 80's and 90's. The
technicak name is morning sickness. The internal seals swell jus a
little bit when the oil is cold and shrink back down against once the
oil warms up. The cure was to replace the rack with newer type seals
that were less low temperature sensitive. If you turn the wheel all the
way from stop to stop a few times before driving off you'll force the
pump to produce maximum pressure and heat up the oil as it bypasses.

Bob
--
The goal when driving is to miss the maximum number of objects.
 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > PAG Vehicle Discussion > Volvo
Gear in this thread - Powered by O'Reilly Auto Parts


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome