Pyrotechnical Tensioners - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > PAG Vehicle Discussion > Volvo
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2005, 13:01   #1 (permalink)
ipellew@pipemedia.co.uk
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Pyrotechnical Tensioners

Hi All;

I have a 95 960 Saloon and on the drivers (UK) door pillar is a
warning:-
Pyrotechnical tensioners need changing after 10 years.

Any one know any details about this?

Is it a Non Vovlo trained job, IE can us dumbo Diyers do it.

What is the cost?

I cannot even imagine what this is.

Regards
Ian

  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 08-24-2005, 14:01   #2 (permalink)
blurp
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Pyrotechnical Tensioners

Pyrotechnic Tensioners are part of the seatbelt system and are
activated on impact and apply great force to reduce the belt slack. As
the name implies I believe they use a small explosive charge like the
airbag would so they can exert force rapidly.

I also believe that you're supposed to have the airbag similarly
serviced/checked every 10 years, possibly sooner.

blurp


On 24 Aug 2005 12:41:30 -0700, the illustrious ipellew@pipemedia.co.uk
favored us with the following prose:

>Hi All;
>
>I have a 95 960 Saloon and on the drivers (UK) door pillar is a
>warning:-
>Pyrotechnical tensioners need changing after 10 years.
>
>Any one know any details about this?
>
>Is it a Non Vovlo trained job, IE can us dumbo Diyers do it.
>
>What is the cost?
>
>I cannot even imagine what this is.
>
>Regards
>Ian


  Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 16:01   #3 (permalink)
Bonnet Lock
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Pyrotechnical Tensioners

In an earlier contribution to this discussion,
blurp <admin@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Pyrotechnic Tensioners are part of the seatbelt system and are
> activated on impact and apply great force to reduce the belt slack. As
> the name implies I believe they use a small explosive charge like the
> airbag would so they can exert force rapidly.
>
> I also believe that you're supposed to have the airbag similarly
> serviced/checked every 10 years, possibly sooner.
>
> blurp
>

Interesting name for them! Sounds like you get a free firework display if
you crash! <g>
--
Cheers,
Bonnet Lock
______
Please reply to newsgroup. Reply address is invalid.


  Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 19:01   #4 (permalink)
Peter K L Milnes
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Pyrotechnical Tensioners

The change period has been upped to 15 years. If you know what you are doing
changing the pyrotechnic part is surprisingly easy. You need to know what
precautions to take when handling explosives as you could get a nasty burn
or worse from misuse. You need to unplug the electrical connector with
electrics dead. Do not switch on electrics until you have completed the
task. Once unplugged the detonator (which is what it is) can be unscrewed
from the housing. It is best to arrange for a short circuit to be present
across the detonator's pins before removal and during replacement. When
safely installed the connector can be refitted to the detonator. When the
task has been completed and before replacing the panels and carpet switch on
the electrics to make sure that detonation is not triggered. After a
successful test you can then replace the carpet and panels.

It is important to keep in mind the fact that if you haven't a clue as to
what you are about to embark on take it to the dealer or seatbelt
specialist.

All the best, Peter.

700/900/90 Register Keeper,
Volvo Owners Club (UK).

<ipellew@pipemedia.co.uk> wrote in message
news:1124912490.600341.67590@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> Hi All;
>
> I have a 95 960 Saloon and on the drivers (UK) door pillar is a
> warning:-
> Pyrotechnical tensioners need changing after 10 years.
>
> Any one know any details about this?
>
> Is it a Non Vovlo trained job, IE can us dumbo Diyers do it.
>
> What is the cost?
>
> I cannot even imagine what this is.
>
> Regards
> Ian
>



  Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 16:01   #5 (permalink)
ipellew@pipemedia.co.uk
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Pyrotechnical Tensioners

This is rather nasty as my wife has a friend who was very badly burnt
in the face and arms when the airbag was fired in an accident, as it
turned out she suffered far more injury from the airbag than she would
from the accident.

Poor women is still suffering after 12 months and has vowed to not use
Airbags, but then what happens in an insurance claim?

Regards
Ian

  Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 16:01   #6 (permalink)
Randy G.
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Pyrotechnical Tensioners

ipellew@pipemedia.co.uk wrote:

>This is rather nasty as my wife has a friend who was very badly burnt
>in the face and arms when the airbag was fired in an accident, as it
>turned out she suffered far more injury from the airbag than she would
>from the accident.
>

What was the year, model, make of the car?


__ __
Randy & \ \/ /alerie's
\__/olvos
'90 245 Estate - '93 965 Estate
"Shelby" & "Kate"
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 16:01   #7 (permalink)
Clay
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Pyrotechnical Tensioners

ipellew@pipemedia.co.uk wrote:
> This is rather nasty as my wife has a friend who was very badly burnt
> in the face and arms when the airbag was fired in an accident, as it
> turned out she suffered far more injury from the airbag than she would
> from the accident.
>
> Poor women is still suffering after 12 months and has vowed to not use
> Airbags, but then what happens in an insurance claim?
>
> Regards
> Ian
>

Well, as my uncle is fond of saying,
an airbag only means the difference between an open or closed coffin.

www.karnutz.com
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 19:01   #8 (permalink)
Peter K L Milnes
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Pyrotechnical Tensioners

She is still alive isn't she? That's what the airbag is for, to prevent loss
of life.

All the best, Peter.

<ipellew@pipemedia.co.uk> wrote in message
news:1125005395.532154.8150@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> This is rather nasty as my wife has a friend who was very badly burnt
> in the face and arms when the airbag was fired in an accident, as it
> turned out she suffered far more injury from the airbag than she would
> from the accident.
>
> Poor women is still suffering after 12 months and has vowed to not use
> Airbags, but then what happens in an insurance claim?
>
> Regards
> Ian
>



  Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 20:01   #9 (permalink)
User
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Pyrotechnical Tensioners

In article <dej0d0$nu7$1@nwrdmz03.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com>,
Peter.K.L.Milnes@btinternet.com says...
> The change period has been upped to 15 years. If you know what you are doing
> changing the pyrotechnic part is surprisingly easy. You need to know what
> precautions to take when handling explosives as you could get a nasty burn
> or worse from misuse. You need to unplug the electrical connector with
> electrics dead. Do not switch on electrics until you have completed the
> task. Once unplugged the detonator (which is what it is) can be unscrewed
> from the housing. It is best to arrange for a short circuit to be present
> across the detonator's pins before removal and during replacement. When
> safely installed the connector can be refitted to the detonator. When the
> task has been completed and before replacing the panels and carpet switch on
> the electrics to make sure that detonation is not triggered. After a
> successful test you can then replace the carpet and panels.
>
> It is important to keep in mind the fact that if you haven't a clue as to
> what you are about to embark on take it to the dealer or seatbelt
> specialist.
>
> All the best, Peter.
>
> 700/900/90 Register Keeper,
> Volvo Owners Club (UK).
>
> <ipellew@pipemedia.co.uk> wrote in message
> news:1124912490.600341.67590@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> > Hi All;
> >
> > I have a 95 960 Saloon and on the drivers (UK) door pillar is a
> > warning:-
> > Pyrotechnical tensioners need changing after 10 years.
> >
> > Any one know any details about this?
> >
> > Is it a Non Vovlo trained job, IE can us dumbo Diyers do it.
> >
> > What is the cost?
> >
> > I cannot even imagine what this is.
> >
> > Regards
> > Ian
> >

>
>
>

The gold plated pins inside the orange connectors on all Volvo's are
self shorting when unplugged. The charge cylinder and the seat belt reel
assembly are one piece and replaced as a unit.

Bob
--
The goal when driving is to miss the maximum number of objects.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 17:01   #10 (permalink)
Peter K L Milnes
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Pyrotechnical Tensioners

I can assure you that they are not self shorting. Why else would Volvo go to
the trouble of providing a special shorting link for when the steering wheel
is removed (for, say, tracking purposes or horn button replacement) and when
replacing front seat belts. I have just had six of the seven seat belts
fitted to my car replaced and can assure you that the dealer used his
special shorting links and disconnected the battery during replacement.

All the best, Peter.

700/900/90 Register Keeper,
Volvo Owners Club (UK).

"User" <radietzno@spamioip.com> wrote in message
news:MPG.1d7c401e6465b5699896a0@news.verizon.net...
> In article <dej0d0$nu7$1@nwrdmz03.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com>,
> Peter.K.L.Milnes@btinternet.com says...
>> The change period has been upped to 15 years. If you know what you are
>> doing
>> changing the pyrotechnic part is surprisingly easy. You need to know what
>> precautions to take when handling explosives as you could get a nasty
>> burn
>> or worse from misuse. You need to unplug the electrical connector with
>> electrics dead. Do not switch on electrics until you have completed the
>> task. Once unplugged the detonator (which is what it is) can be unscrewed
>> from the housing. It is best to arrange for a short circuit to be present
>> across the detonator's pins before removal and during replacement. When
>> safely installed the connector can be refitted to the detonator. When the
>> task has been completed and before replacing the panels and carpet switch
>> on
>> the electrics to make sure that detonation is not triggered. After a
>> successful test you can then replace the carpet and panels.
>>
>> It is important to keep in mind the fact that if you haven't a clue as to
>> what you are about to embark on take it to the dealer or seatbelt
>> specialist.
>>
>> All the best, Peter.
>>
>> 700/900/90 Register Keeper,
>> Volvo Owners Club (UK).
>>
>> <ipellew@pipemedia.co.uk> wrote in message
>> news:1124912490.600341.67590@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
>> > Hi All;
>> >
>> > I have a 95 960 Saloon and on the drivers (UK) door pillar is a
>> > warning:-
>> > Pyrotechnical tensioners need changing after 10 years.
>> >
>> > Any one know any details about this?
>> >
>> > Is it a Non Vovlo trained job, IE can us dumbo Diyers do it.
>> >
>> > What is the cost?
>> >
>> > I cannot even imagine what this is.
>> >
>> > Regards
>> > Ian
>> >

>>
>>
>>

> The gold plated pins inside the orange connectors on all Volvo's are
> self shorting when unplugged. The charge cylinder and the seat belt reel
> assembly are one piece and replaced as a unit.
>
> Bob
> --
> The goal when driving is to miss the maximum number of objects.



  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > PAG Vehicle Discussion > Volvo



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:25.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.