shockers dampers novel idea? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-04-05, 03:01 AM
John Robertson
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
shockers dampers novel idea?

Is it possible to fill the gap between the shocker insert and the tube of
the strut with a fluid such as a light oil so as to help cool the inserted
shock absorber.There is only an air gap at present which is not a good means
of dissipating heat .We get very high temperatures here so any way of
tranfering heat is good .Is this a foolish idea or does it have some merit ?


john from downunder




 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-04-05, 04:01 AM
John Robertson
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: shockers dampers novel idea?

Just found out it is done can it be done with Volvo 740 shocks and using
what fluid ,an anti corrosive fluid or oil?

"John Robertson" <johnnr@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message
news:42f1d099$0$25984$afc38c87@news.optusnet.com.au...
> Is it possible to fill the gap between the shocker insert and the tube of
> the strut with a fluid such as a light oil so as to help cool the inserted
> shock absorber.There is only an air gap at present which is not a good
> means of dissipating heat .We get very high temperatures here so any way
> of tranfering heat is good .Is this a foolish idea or does it have some
> merit ?
>
>
> john from downunder
>
>



 
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-04-05, 07:01 AM
Mike F
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: shockers dampers novel idea?

John Robertson wrote:
>
> Just found out it is done can it be done with Volvo 740 shocks and using
> what fluid ,an anti corrosive fluid or oil?
>


The only problem is keeping the fluid from draining out the holes in the
bottom. I'd just use engine oil, it won't hurt anything or evaporate.
A dedicated heat transfer fluid won't transfer heat much better, and
would probably be very expensive. That said, unless you're driving very
hard over very rough roads, you probably don't have anything to worry
about.

--
Mike F.
Thornhill (near Toronto), Ont.

Replace tt with t (twice!) and remove parentheses to email me directly.
(But I check the newsgroup more often than this email address.)
 
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-04-05, 09:01 PM
John Robertson
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: shockers dampers novel idea?

thanks mike I was thinking off synthetic oil as it wont take much .Should
see the variation of quotes on new shockers it was huge .If bs was fuel I
would be a happy man as same shockers at over double the price fitting was
up to three times as much as well .Interesting exercise .

"Mike F" <"mikef2316()"@allsttream.nett> wrote in message
news:42F206F6.9DB54AEB@allsttream.nett...
> John Robertson wrote:
>>
>> Just found out it is done can it be done with Volvo 740 shocks and using
>> what fluid ,an anti corrosive fluid or oil?
>>

>
> The only problem is keeping the fluid from draining out the holes in the
> bottom. I'd just use engine oil, it won't hurt anything or evaporate.
> A dedicated heat transfer fluid won't transfer heat much better, and
> would probably be very expensive. That said, unless you're driving very
> hard over very rough roads, you probably don't have anything to worry
> about.
>
> --
> Mike F.
> Thornhill (near Toronto), Ont.
>
> Replace tt with t (twice!) and remove parentheses to email me directly.
> (But I check the newsgroup more often than this email address.)



 
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-06-05, 12:01 PM
James Sweet
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: shockers dampers novel idea?


"John Robertson" <johnnr@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message
news:42f1deee$0$21681$afc38c87@news.optusnet.com.au...
> Just found out it is done can it be done with Volvo 740 shocks and using
> what fluid ,an anti corrosive fluid or oil?
>
> "John Robertson" <johnnr@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message
> news:42f1d099$0$25984$afc38c87@news.optusnet.com.au...
> > Is it possible to fill the gap between the shocker insert and the tube

of
> > the strut with a fluid such as a light oil so as to help cool the

inserted
> > shock absorber.There is only an air gap at present which is not a good
> > means of dissipating heat .We get very high temperatures here so any way
> > of tranfering heat is good .Is this a foolish idea or does it have some
> > merit ?
> >

>


I'd use silicone heatsink grease, it's sold for electronics and is a white
paste that won't dry out or drip off. I'm not sure how useful this is
though, unless you're racing the shocks generally won't overheat.


 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > PAG Vehicle Discussion > Volvo


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome