speedo - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > PAG Vehicle Discussion > Volvo
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2005, 09:02   #1 (permalink)
John Robertson
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
speedo

my 740turbo 1990 has 205- 55-16 tyres on it which are very expensive .Is it
possible to put 215-60-16 which messes the speedo up ,on the car and alter
the gearing going into the differential to compensate or is it an electrical
sender .The difference is about $45 .00au dollars per tyre OR $180.00 a set
of 4 which seems a lot .As it is it would be 3.1 klms perhour too slow on a
straight swap over and with our stupid laws thats enough to get a fine of
$125.00 I think .1.8 Mph = 3 klms per hour an hour and your done cold .What
is the best cheapest way to compensate the speedo difference please .












4


  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 07-13-2005, 19:01   #2 (permalink)
Peter K L Milnes
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: speedo

Try using the correct combination of wheel/tyre for the car. 15" wheels shod
with 185/65/15 tyres if saloon (sedan) or 195/65/15 tyres if estate (wagon).
If you use a set of alloys from a 740 GLE you will end up with a superb
combination which will enhance the comfort, hold the road like s**t to a
blanket and look like a Bentley/RR into the bargain.

All the best, Peter.

700/900/90 Register Keeper,
Volvo Owners Club (UK).

"John Robertson" <johnnr@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message
news:42d50753$0$23002$afc38c87@news.optusnet.com.au...
> my 740turbo 1990 has 205- 55-16 tyres on it which are very expensive .Is
> it possible to put 215-60-16 which messes the speedo up ,on the car and
> alter the gearing going into the differential to compensate or is it an
> electrical sender .The difference is about $45 .00au dollars per tyre OR
> $180.00 a set of 4 which seems a lot .As it is it would be 3.1 klms
> perhour too slow on a straight swap over and with our stupid laws thats
> enough to get a fine of $125.00 I think .1.8 Mph = 3 klms per hour an hour
> and your done cold .What is the best cheapest way to compensate the speedo
> difference please .
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> 4
>



  Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 00:02   #3 (permalink)
James Sweet
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: speedo


"Peter K L Milnes" <Peter.K.L.Milnes@btinternet.com> wrote in message
news:db44ni$dcf$1@nwrdmz02.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com...
> Try using the correct combination of wheel/tyre for the car. 15" wheels

shod
> with 185/65/15 tyres if saloon (sedan) or 195/65/15 tyres if estate

(wagon).
> If you use a set of alloys from a 740 GLE you will end up with a superb
> combination which will enhance the comfort, hold the road like s**t to a
> blanket and look like a Bentley/RR into the bargain.
>



But that's no help for him since he has a '90 turbo which came with the 16"
Hydra rims. Nice wheels they are too, and getting harder to find in good
shape.


  Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 02:02   #4 (permalink)
John Robertson
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: speedo

Hi its got alloys 16 inch as standard nice too but the cost of tires tyres
is an issue .16 inch are very expensive as for 17 go rob a bank first .
"Peter K L Milnes" <Peter.K.L.Milnes@btinternet.com> wrote in message
news:db44ni$dcf$1@nwrdmz02.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com...
> Try using the correct combination of wheel/tyre for the car. 15" wheels
> shod with 185/65/15 tyres if saloon (sedan) or 195/65/15 tyres if estate
> (wagon). If you use a set of alloys from a 740 GLE you will end up with a
> superb combination which will enhance the comfort, hold the road like s**t
> to a blanket and look like a Bentley/RR into the bargain.
>
> All the best, Peter.
>
> 700/900/90 Register Keeper,
> Volvo Owners Club (UK).
>
> "John Robertson" <johnnr@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message
> news:42d50753$0$23002$afc38c87@news.optusnet.com.au...
>> my 740turbo 1990 has 205- 55-16 tyres on it which are very expensive .Is
>> it possible to put 215-60-16 which messes the speedo up ,on the car and
>> alter the gearing going into the differential to compensate or is it an
>> electrical sender .The difference is about $45 .00au dollars per tyre OR
>> $180.00 a set of 4 which seems a lot .As it is it would be 3.1 klms
>> perhour too slow on a straight swap over and with our stupid laws thats
>> enough to get a fine of $125.00 I think .1.8 Mph = 3 klms per hour an
>> hour and your done cold .What is the best cheapest way to compensate the
>> speedo difference please .
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> 4
>>

>
>



  Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 02:02   #5 (permalink)
John Robertson
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: speedo adjustment

Yes they are in good condition but an odd size .LOOKS like I must pay the
man or get the speedo adjusted .Question is can I change a cog \gear teeth
on the drive somewhere to compensate my tire tyre size ?

"James Sweet" <jamessweet@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:3zkBe.586$3F4.97@trnddc03...
>
> "Peter K L Milnes" <Peter.K.L.Milnes@btinternet.com> wrote in message
> news:db44ni$dcf$1@nwrdmz02.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com...
>> Try using the correct combination of wheel/tyre for the car. 15" wheels

> shod
>> with 185/65/15 tyres if saloon (sedan) or 195/65/15 tyres if estate

> (wagon).
>> If you use a set of alloys from a 740 GLE you will end up with a superb
>> combination which will enhance the comfort, hold the road like s**t to a
>> blanket and look like a Bentley/RR into the bargain.
>>

>
>
> But that's no help for him since he has a '90 turbo which came with the
> 16"
> Hydra rims. Nice wheels they are too, and getting harder to find in good
> shape.
>
>



  Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 09:02   #6 (permalink)
Peter K L Milnes
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: speedo adjustment

Oh yes it is of help because the brake disc and callipers were made to fit
into a 15" rim. All he has to do is swap with someone for a set of 15s and
"Robert is your father's brother" ( old UK phrase "Bob's yer uncle" meaning
job sorted.).

All the best, Peter.

700/900/90 Register Keeper,
Volvo Owners Club (UK).

"John Robertson" <johnnr@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message
news:42d60be1$0$2031$afc38c87@news.optusnet.com.au...
> Yes they are in good condition but an odd size .LOOKS like I must pay the
> man or get the speedo adjusted .Question is can I change a cog \gear teeth
> on the drive somewhere to compensate my tire tyre size ?
>
> "James Sweet" <jamessweet@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:3zkBe.586$3F4.97@trnddc03...
>>
>> "Peter K L Milnes" <Peter.K.L.Milnes@btinternet.com> wrote in message
>> news:db44ni$dcf$1@nwrdmz02.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com...
>>> Try using the correct combination of wheel/tyre for the car. 15" wheels

>> shod
>>> with 185/65/15 tyres if saloon (sedan) or 195/65/15 tyres if estate

>> (wagon).
>>> If you use a set of alloys from a 740 GLE you will end up with a superb
>>> combination which will enhance the comfort, hold the road like s**t to a
>>> blanket and look like a Bentley/RR into the bargain.
>>>

>>
>>
>> But that's no help for him since he has a '90 turbo which came with the
>> 16"
>> Hydra rims. Nice wheels they are too, and getting harder to find in good
>> shape.
>>
>>

>
>



  Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 09:02   #7 (permalink)
Mike F
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: speedo adjustment

John Robertson wrote:
>
> Yes they are in good condition but an odd size .LOOKS like I must pay the
> man or get the speedo adjusted .Question is can I change a cog \gear teeth
> on the drive somewhere to compensate my tire tyre size ?
>


The speedo has an electronic pick in the diff cover that "counts" the
teeth on a gear on the diff carrier. There's nothing to exchange
easily. However, customization is very common with hot rodders and
there's quite an industry to support this sort of thing. A quick search
of the 'net turned this up at the top of the list.

http://www.abbott-tach.com/era.htm

--
Mike F.
Thornhill (near Toronto), Ont.

Replace tt with t (twice!) and remove parentheses to email me directly.
(But I check the newsgroup more often than this email address.)
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 19:02   #8 (permalink)
Peter K L Milnes
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: speedo adjustment

At last an easy way to do it. Thanks for the link Mike.

All the best, Peter.

700/900/90 Register Keeper,
Volvo Owners Club (UK).

"Mike F" <"mikef2316()"@allsttream.nett> wrote in message
news:42D65F5F.74C67A81@allsttream.nett...
> John Robertson wrote:
>>
>> Yes they are in good condition but an odd size .LOOKS like I must pay the
>> man or get the speedo adjusted .Question is can I change a cog \gear
>> teeth
>> on the drive somewhere to compensate my tire tyre size ?
>>

>
> The speedo has an electronic pick in the diff cover that "counts" the
> teeth on a gear on the diff carrier. There's nothing to exchange
> easily. However, customization is very common with hot rodders and
> there's quite an industry to support this sort of thing. A quick search
> of the 'net turned this up at the top of the list.
>
> http://www.abbott-tach.com/era.htm
>
> --
> Mike F.
> Thornhill (near Toronto), Ont.
>
> Replace tt with t (twice!) and remove parentheses to email me directly.
> (But I check the newsgroup more often than this email address.)



  Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 22:02   #9 (permalink)
James Sweet
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: speedo adjustment


"Peter K L Milnes" <Peter.K.L.Milnes@btinternet.com> wrote in message
news:db5hdn$sog$1@nwrdmz02.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com...
> Oh yes it is of help because the brake disc and callipers were made to fit
> into a 15" rim. All he has to do is swap with someone for a set of 15s and
> "Robert is your father's brother" ( old UK phrase "Bob's yer uncle"

meaning
> job sorted.).
>
> All the best, Peter.



Well if he wanted to lose the nice 16" rims. If they're in good shape I'd
trade him my 15" alloys with a decent set of tires on them for the 16"s,
best looking rims Volvo ever made IMO, and they improve the handling of the
car over the 15s too. Tires cost a bit more but so what? Not like they have
to be replaced weekly.


  Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2005, 14:02   #10 (permalink)
User
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: speedo

In article <42d60b2f$0$26659$afc38c87@news.optusnet.com.au>,
johnnr@optusnet.com.au says...
> Hi its got alloys 16 inch as standard nice too but the cost of tires tyres
> is an issue .16 inch are very expensive as for 17 go rob a bank first .
> "Peter K L Milnes" <Peter.K.L.Milnes@btinternet.com> wrote in message
> news:db44ni$dcf$1@nwrdmz02.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com...



Speedometers are designed so that 1000 revolutons of the driven wheel
equals one mile or one kilometer. This can be seen on the speedo face by
the designation r=XXX or KXXXX. If the circumference of your wheel and
tire combination can be matched with any other wheel combination
available for the chassis then there is speedometer gearing avaialble
for your car. Provided of course that the rear axle ratio in your car
was also available in other versions.

There are five differential ratios for the US market:
3.31; 3.54; 3.91; 3.73; 4.10, and five different speedo ratios. The
available combinations in your market should be similar.

Bob



--
The goal when driving is to miss the maximum number of objects.
  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > PAG Vehicle Discussion > Volvo



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 19:59.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.