temperature gauge is all the way up 86 240 - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > PAG Vehicle Discussion > Volvo
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2005, 00:01   #1 (permalink)
chibahawk
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
temperature gauge is all the way up 86 240

Well, yesterday I just needed to drive a short distance from home and
even though I needed some gas I decided to keep driving, I was very
tired and did'nt feel like stopping. The fuel guage was almost in the
red when I got to where I was going,and when I was leaving the car had
trouble starting. This was about 9am on a hot saturday. I got home and
slept for a while. I did'nt start it up again until about 7pm, and
again it would barely start and now the temperature had gone all the
way up to the red. I finally got the car to start and headed directly
to the gas station, filled it up and proceeded to drive two cities
away. The temperature gauge was all the way up the whole time, I
thought it might go down after driving for awhile, but it did'nt, and I
could feel that it wasn't at full power when I accelerated. I did make
it home though saturday evening.
Tonight sunday, I waited all day til the weather cooled down to try
again, started up OK, but again temperature guage went all the way up
immediatly. I test drove it to the gas station, still low power. Filled
it up, proceeded to drive home. Checked under the hood when I got home
and it was very hot in there, I could feel it on my face.
I just had a new radiator installed 2 weeks ago.
Any Ideas why the temp is so high?

  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 08-01-2005, 11:01   #2 (permalink)
z
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: temperature gauge is all the way up 86 240


chibahawk wrote:
> Well, yesterday I just needed to drive a short distance from home and
> even though I needed some gas I decided to keep driving, I was very
> tired and did'nt feel like stopping. The fuel guage was almost in the
> red when I got to where I was going,and when I was leaving the car had
> trouble starting. This was about 9am on a hot saturday. I got home and
> slept for a while. I did'nt start it up again until about 7pm, and
> again it would barely start and now the temperature had gone all the
> way up to the red. I finally got the car to start and headed directly
> to the gas station, filled it up and proceeded to drive two cities
> away. The temperature gauge was all the way up the whole time, I
> thought it might go down after driving for awhile, but it did'nt, and I
> could feel that it wasn't at full power when I accelerated. I did make
> it home though saturday evening.
> Tonight sunday, I waited all day til the weather cooled down to try
> again, started up OK, but again temperature guage went all the way up
> immediatly. I test drove it to the gas station, still low power. Filled
> it up, proceeded to drive home. Checked under the hood when I got home
> and it was very hot in there, I could feel it on my face.
> I just had a new radiator installed 2 weeks ago.
> Any Ideas why the temp is so high?


bad radiator
air lock in coolant
normal temp, bad temperature stabilizer board gadget
slipping fan clutch
pick one

  Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 16:01   #3 (permalink)
Steve
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: temperature gauge is all the way up 86 240

Who put in the new radiator?
Perhaps a hose was not made fast?
Is there fluid in there?


"chibahawk" <chibahawk@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:1122877754.538154.79390@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
> Well, yesterday I just needed to drive a short distance from home and
> even though I needed some gas I decided to keep driving, I was very
> tired and did'nt feel like stopping. The fuel guage was almost in the
> red when I got to where I was going,and when I was leaving the car had
> trouble starting. This was about 9am on a hot saturday. I got home and
> slept for a while. I did'nt start it up again until about 7pm, and
> again it would barely start and now the temperature had gone all the
> way up to the red. I finally got the car to start and headed directly
> to the gas station, filled it up and proceeded to drive two cities
> away. The temperature gauge was all the way up the whole time, I
> thought it might go down after driving for awhile, but it did'nt, and I
> could feel that it wasn't at full power when I accelerated. I did make
> it home though saturday evening.
> Tonight sunday, I waited all day til the weather cooled down to try
> again, started up OK, but again temperature guage went all the way up
> immediatly. I test drove it to the gas station, still low power. Filled
> it up, proceeded to drive home. Checked under the hood when I got home
> and it was very hot in there, I could feel it on my face.
> I just had a new radiator installed 2 weeks ago.
> Any Ideas why the temp is so high?
>



  Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 16:01   #4 (permalink)
SIEGE
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: temperature gauge is all the way up 86 240

"Steve" <someone@microsoft.com> wrote in
news:jdWdnYb9_-WRBHPfRVn-jw@comcast.com:

> Who put in the new radiator?
> Perhaps a hose was not made fast?
> Is there fluid in there?
>
>
> "chibahawk" <chibahawk@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:1122877754.538154.79390@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
>> Well, yesterday I just needed to drive a short distance from home and
>> even though I needed some gas I decided to keep driving, I was very
>> tired and did'nt feel like stopping. The fuel guage was almost in the
>> red when I got to where I was going,and when I was leaving the car
>> had trouble starting. This was about 9am on a hot saturday. I got
>> home and slept for a while. I did'nt start it up again until about
>> 7pm, and again it would barely start and now the temperature had gone
>> all the way up to the red. I finally got the car to start and headed
>> directly to the gas station, filled it up and proceeded to drive two
>> cities away. The temperature gauge was all the way up the whole time,
>> I thought it might go down after driving for awhile, but it did'nt,
>> and I could feel that it wasn't at full power when I accelerated. I
>> did make it home though saturday evening.
>> Tonight sunday, I waited all day til the weather cooled down to try
>> again, started up OK, but again temperature guage went all the way up
>> immediatly. I test drove it to the gas station, still low power.
>> Filled it up, proceeded to drive home. Checked under the hood when I
>> got home and it was very hot in there, I could feel it on my face.
>> I just had a new radiator installed 2 weeks ago.
>> Any Ideas why the temp is so high?
>>

>
>
>


A well respected volvo shop installed the radiator, and yes there is
fluid. I called the shop today and the guy said it sounds like an
electrical problem. Possibly a bad temp sensor.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 01:01   #5 (permalink)
Andy Coles
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: temperature gauge is all the way up 86 240

Thermostat bellows sticking closed?

"SIEGE" <nunyabiz@bizmarkie.net> wrote in message
news:42eea423$0$26039$9a6e19ea@unlimited.newshosting.com...
> "Steve" <someone@microsoft.com> wrote in
> news:jdWdnYb9_-WRBHPfRVn-jw@comcast.com:
>
>> Who put in the new radiator?
>> Perhaps a hose was not made fast?
>> Is there fluid in there?
>>
>>
>> "chibahawk" <chibahawk@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> news:1122877754.538154.79390@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
>>> Well, yesterday I just needed to drive a short distance from home and
>>> even though I needed some gas I decided to keep driving, I was very
>>> tired and did'nt feel like stopping. The fuel guage was almost in the
>>> red when I got to where I was going,and when I was leaving the car
>>> had trouble starting. This was about 9am on a hot saturday. I got
>>> home and slept for a while. I did'nt start it up again until about
>>> 7pm, and again it would barely start and now the temperature had gone
>>> all the way up to the red. I finally got the car to start and headed
>>> directly to the gas station, filled it up and proceeded to drive two
>>> cities away. The temperature gauge was all the way up the whole time,
>>> I thought it might go down after driving for awhile, but it did'nt,
>>> and I could feel that it wasn't at full power when I accelerated. I
>>> did make it home though saturday evening.
>>> Tonight sunday, I waited all day til the weather cooled down to try
>>> again, started up OK, but again temperature guage went all the way up
>>> immediatly. I test drove it to the gas station, still low power.
>>> Filled it up, proceeded to drive home. Checked under the hood when I
>>> got home and it was very hot in there, I could feel it on my face.
>>> I just had a new radiator installed 2 weeks ago.
>>> Any Ideas why the temp is so high?
>>>

>>
>>
>>

>
> A well respected volvo shop installed the radiator, and yes there is
> fluid. I called the shop today and the guy said it sounds like an
> electrical problem. Possibly a bad temp sensor.



  Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 08:01   #6 (permalink)
Mike F
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: temperature gauge is all the way up 86 240

SIEGE wrote:
>
> A well respected volvo shop installed the radiator, and yes there is
> fluid. I called the shop today and the guy said it sounds like an
> electrical problem. Possibly a bad temp sensor.


Since the temperature gauge is all the way up, even when the engine has
been sitting overnight, there's no doubt you have a wiring or gauge
problem. By the way, ignoring warnings like a high temp gauge is a good
way to ruin an engine quickly. Fortunately for you, the gauge reading
appears to be wrong, but if it had been correct, you'd be looking for a
new engine now.

--
Mike F.
Thornhill (near Toronto), Ont.

Replace tt with t (twice!) and remove parentheses to email me directly.
(But I check the newsgroup more often than this email address.)
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 09:01   #7 (permalink)
z
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: temperature gauge is all the way up 86 240


Mike F wrote:
> SIEGE wrote:
> >
> > A well respected volvo shop installed the radiator, and yes there is
> > fluid. I called the shop today and the guy said it sounds like an
> > electrical problem. Possibly a bad temp sensor.

>
> Since the temperature gauge is all the way up, even when the engine has
> been sitting overnight, there's no doubt you have a wiring or gauge
> problem. By the way, ignoring warnings like a high temp gauge is a good
> way to ruin an engine quickly. Fortunately for you, the gauge reading
> appears to be wrong, but if it had been correct, you'd be looking for a
> new engine now.
>
> --
> Mike F.
> Thornhill (near Toronto), Ont.
>
> Replace tt with t (twice!) and remove parentheses to email me directly.
> (But I check the newsgroup more often than this email address.)


Also, "trouble starting"; wouldn't crank, or wouldn't fire?

  Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 17:01   #8 (permalink)
Robert Lutwak
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: temperature gauge is all the way up 86 240

There's a little printed circuit board on the back of the instrument cluster
that provides bias to the temperature sensor and linearizes the result. The
board plugs into an edge connector and is trivial to swap out once you have
the cluster in your lap.

When it went bad on my '87 240 (pegged at zero) I replaced it with a new
board from Volvo for about $150 and that fixed it.

The board only has one component on it, an LM324 op-amp, which is a very
common single-supply utility op-amp. When the board went bad on my '89 240
(railed high), I replaced the op-amp for about $1 from Radio Shack and that
fixed it.

Of course, if the engine has real overheating problems, it isn't the PCB on
the sensor, but it did eventually go bad on both of my late 80's 240's

-RL


"Mike F" <"mikef2316()"@allsttream.nett> wrote in message
news:42F0CB9E.26A9D566@allsttream.nett...
> SIEGE wrote:
>>
>> A well respected volvo shop installed the radiator, and yes there is
>> fluid. I called the shop today and the guy said it sounds like an
>> electrical problem. Possibly a bad temp sensor.

>
> Since the temperature gauge is all the way up, even when the engine has
> been sitting overnight, there's no doubt you have a wiring or gauge
> problem. By the way, ignoring warnings like a high temp gauge is a good
> way to ruin an engine quickly. Fortunately for you, the gauge reading
> appears to be wrong, but if it had been correct, you'd be looking for a
> new engine now.
>
> --
> Mike F.
> Thornhill (near Toronto), Ont.
>
> Replace tt with t (twice!) and remove parentheses to email me directly.
> (But I check the newsgroup more often than this email address.)



  Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 09:01   #9 (permalink)
~^ beancounter ~^
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: temperature gauge is all the way up 86 240

uhh...maybe lack of coolant?...

  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > PAG Vehicle Discussion > Volvo



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 17:07.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.