V50/S40 Day running lights - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > PAG Vehicle Discussion > Volvo
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2005, 15:01   #1 (permalink)
GeeGee
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
V50/S40 Day running lights

It says in the UK manual that daytime running lights can be turned off by
your Volvo dealer. Does anybody know how to do this or does it require
special tools?

TIA


  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 04-04-2005, 16:01   #2 (permalink)
Bob W.
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: V50/S40 Day running lights

Your dealer must download software from Volvo to turn them off. Here in the
US it cost me about $85. Don't know if it costs more if you want them
turned back on.

Bob W.
"GeeGee" <goldiegee@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:d2scnp$ms1$1@newsg3.svr.pol.co.uk...
> It says in the UK manual that daytime running lights can be turned off by
> your Volvo dealer. Does anybody know how to do this or does it require
> special tools?
>
> TIA
>
>



  Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 17:01   #3 (permalink)
Peter K L Milnes
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: V50/S40 Day running lights

Save yourself the money and leave them alone. You do NOT save anything by
turning them off. They are dimmed/dipped lights so run at about a quarter of
normal dipped power.

Cheers, Peter.

"Bob W." <bleew@columbus.dropthis.rr.com> wrote in message
news:SSi4e.9769$Fh4.491@fe2.columbus.rr.com...
> Your dealer must download software from Volvo to turn them off. Here in
> the
> US it cost me about $85. Don't know if it costs more if you want them
> turned back on.
>
> Bob W.
> "GeeGee" <goldiegee@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:d2scnp$ms1$1@newsg3.svr.pol.co.uk...
>> It says in the UK manual that daytime running lights can be turned off by
>> your Volvo dealer. Does anybody know how to do this or does it require
>> special tools?
>>
>> TIA
>>
>>

>
>



  Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 20:01   #4 (permalink)
Jeff Spenader
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: V50/S40 Day running lights

Isn't there a middle position on the light switch on UK models? That turns
off the daytime running lights on the US model, and is a darn sight less
trouble than taking it to the dealer for a software upgrade.
"GeeGee" <goldiegee@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:d2scnp$ms1$1@newsg3.svr.pol.co.uk...
> It says in the UK manual that daytime running lights can be turned off by
> your Volvo dealer. Does anybody know how to do this or does it require
> special tools?
>
> TIA
>
>



  Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 07:01   #5 (permalink)
GeeGee
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: V50/S40 Day running lights

My car has BiXenons so I was just thinking of the cost of bulb replacement.
Does constant use reduce bulb life significantly?


"Peter K L Milnes" <Peter.K.L.Milnes@btinternet.com> wrote in message
news:d2sj75$ck6$1@hercules.btinternet.com...
> Save yourself the money and leave them alone. You do NOT save anything by
> turning them off. They are dimmed/dipped lights so run at about a quarter
> of normal dipped power.
>
> Cheers, Peter.
>
> "Bob W." <bleew@columbus.dropthis.rr.com> wrote in message
> news:SSi4e.9769$Fh4.491@fe2.columbus.rr.com...
>> Your dealer must download software from Volvo to turn them off. Here in
>> the
>> US it cost me about $85. Don't know if it costs more if you want them
>> turned back on.
>>
>> Bob W.
>> "GeeGee" <goldiegee@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> news:d2scnp$ms1$1@newsg3.svr.pol.co.uk...
>>> It says in the UK manual that daytime running lights can be turned off
>>> by
>>> your Volvo dealer. Does anybody know how to do this or does it require
>>> special tools?
>>>
>>> TIA
>>>
>>>

>>
>>

>
>



  Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 07:01   #6 (permalink)
GeeGee
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: V50/S40 Day running lights

Yes there is a middle position as you say, but as Volvo have not seen fit to
put in a lights on warning buzzer, I am likely to leave them on an flatten
the battery
"Jeff Spenader" <spenader@mindspring.com> wrote in message
news:QQm4e.624$yq6.379@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net...
> Isn't there a middle position on the light switch on UK models? That turns
> off the daytime running lights on the US model, and is a darn sight less
> trouble than taking it to the dealer for a software upgrade.
> "GeeGee" <goldiegee@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:d2scnp$ms1$1@newsg3.svr.pol.co.uk...
>> It says in the UK manual that daytime running lights can be turned off by
>> your Volvo dealer. Does anybody know how to do this or does it require
>> special tools?
>>
>> TIA
>>
>>

>
>



  Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 11:02   #7 (permalink)
Stephen Henning
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: V50/S40 Day running lights

"GeeGee" <goldiegee@hotmail.com> wrote:

> I am likely to leave them on an flatten the battery


You can carry an air pump so you can inflate the battery after you
flatten it

Actually the reason you don't hear a warning when you leave the "parking
lights" on is because they are meant to be left on when a car is
"parked" on the side of the road. Actually they are obsolete today
because people use the 4-way flashers which also don't have a warning
indicator.

--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to rhodyman@earthlink.net
Cheers, Steve Henning in Reading, PA USA
http://home.earthlink.net/~rhodyman
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 11:02   #8 (permalink)
John Wright
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: V50/S40 Day running lights



I have a an US model 03 XC70. I leave the lights "on" all of the time. That
is the lights are on when the ignition is on and the lights are off when the
ignition is off.

The reason is that the need for daylight running to as bright or brighter in
the day than at night. This is a SAFETY feature. Also I as far the lights
are concerned I turn the key and go. In fact driving is simple
seatbelt, key, drive, GO. Day or Night.

I have seen my share of dim bulbs who cannot drive with their lights on at
night, so Daylight Running Lights would be a rather obscure concept.

Sometime ago the Canada Safety Council was not pleased when the concept of
less brilliant lighting was invoked for Daylight Running lights by OEM's.

It is just a guess but I cannot imagine it working differently on the
V50/S40 but I am sure Ford has done stranger things before. Just trying to
help.

Cheers

G
"Jeff Spenader" <spenader@mindspring.com> wrote in message
news:QQm4e.624$yq6.379@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net...
> Isn't there a middle position on the light switch on UK models? That turns
> off the daytime running lights on the US model, and is a darn sight less
> trouble than taking it to the dealer for a software upgrade.
> "GeeGee" <goldiegee@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:d2scnp$ms1$1@newsg3.svr.pol.co.uk...
>> It says in the UK manual that daytime running lights can be turned off by
>> your Volvo dealer. Does anybody know how to do this or does it require
>> special tools?
>>
>> TIA
>>
>>

>
>



  Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 11:02   #9 (permalink)
GeeGee
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: V50/S40 Day running lights

Yes, but my previous car (VW Passat) had parking lights and a buzzer. The
buzzer only worked when the door was open so you could leave parking lights
on without the buzzer going off all the time.


"Stephen Henning" <pighash@aol.com> wrote in message
news:pighash-80F426.11534305042005@news.isp.giganews.com...
> "GeeGee" <goldiegee@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I am likely to leave them on an flatten the battery

>
> You can carry an air pump so you can inflate the battery after you
> flatten it
>
> Actually the reason you don't hear a warning when you leave the "parking
> lights" on is because they are meant to be left on when a car is
> "parked" on the side of the road. Actually they are obsolete today
> because people use the 4-way flashers which also don't have a warning
> indicator.
>
> --
> Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to rhodyman@earthlink.net
> Cheers, Steve Henning in Reading, PA USA
> http://home.earthlink.net/~rhodyman



  Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 14:01   #10 (permalink)
Byrocat
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: V50/S40 Day running lights

"GeeGee" <goldiegee@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<d2u2o0$ie6$1@newsg4.svr.pol.co.uk>...
> Yes there is a middle position as you say, but as Volvo have not seen fit to
> put in a lights on warning buzzer, I am likely to leave them on an flatten
> the battery


You should have no problems -- lights should be going off when you
turn off the engine. Flipping the high-beam with the engine off will
result in the high-beams being enabled for thirty seconds (enough time
for you to get out, lock the car and walk to your front door and find
the appropriate key but not enough to put the key in the door.....)

At least, that's how it works with my 1994 850 (no walk-light) and my
wife's 2002 S40
  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > PAG Vehicle Discussion > Volvo



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 19:12.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.