V70 Engine Light comes on at acceleration ... - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > PAG Vehicle Discussion > Volvo
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2005, 01:10   #1 (permalink)
Allan Shearer
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
V70 Engine Light comes on at acceleration ...

Hi Everyone

Quicky question, I think ...

When I accelerate from a stop, especially going up-hill, I'm finding the
Engine Light coming on for a little bit - but then it always turns off
again.

In fact, it's only if I tax the engine - but even when being cautious (I
never over-tax it anyway).

I've checked the oil level - it's perfect. (thinking that the oil
sloshing around might trigger an alert).

Should I be concerned? Apart from this, the engine runs and sounds perfect.

Now, I just WASHED the car today - any chance the something got wet and
is causing this?

Thanks for any input.

Yours,

Allan Shearer
Brockville, Ontario
Canada

--------------------

Our new pride'n'joy:
http://www.shearer.ca/Images/VolvoV70.jpg

Our first-ever Volvo ... sadly, up for sale:
http://www.shearer.ca/volvos4sale/240_Front1.jpg
  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-21-2005, 01:10   #2 (permalink)
L David Matheny
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: V70 Engine Light comes on at acceleration ...

"Allan Shearer" <allan@shearer.ca> wrote in message news:QEMYd.36930$fW4.1100525@news20.bellglobal.com...
> Hi Everyone
>
> Quicky question, I think ...
>
> When I accelerate from a stop, especially going up-hill,
> I'm finding the Engine Light coming on for a little bit -
> but then it always turns off again.
>
> In fact, it's only if I tax the engine - but even when being cautious
> (I never over-tax it anyway).
>
> I've checked the oil level - it's perfect. (thinking that the oil
> sloshing around might trigger an alert).
>
> Should I be concerned? Apart from this, the engine runs and
> sounds perfect.
>
> Now, I just WASHED the car today - any chance the something
> got wet and is causing this?
>
> Thanks for any input.
>
> Yours,
>
> Allan Shearer
> Brockville, Ontario
> Canada
>

My 1997 850GLT occasionally flashes a warning light for a
fraction of a second, usually when I'm accelerating. I think
it's the alternator light, and I'm assuming the belt is slipping
a bit. But if your Check Engine light is coming on, I doubt
that it's a belt, since that light is usually emissions-related.
Of course, getting wet could encourage a belt to slip.


  Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 01:10   #3 (permalink)
Michael Pardee
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: V70 Engine Light comes on at acceleration ...

"Allan Shearer" <allan@shearer.ca> wrote in message
news:QEMYd.36930$fW4.1100525@news20.bellglobal.com...
> Hi Everyone
>
> Quicky question, I think ...
>
> When I accelerate from a stop, especially going up-hill, I'm finding the
> Engine Light coming on for a little bit - but then it always turns off
> again.
>
> In fact, it's only if I tax the engine - but even when being cautious (I
> never over-tax it anyway).
>
> I've checked the oil level - it's perfect. (thinking that the oil
> sloshing around might trigger an alert).
>
> Should I be concerned? Apart from this, the engine runs and sounds
> perfect.
>
> Now, I just WASHED the car today - any chance the something got wet and is
> causing this?
>
> Thanks for any input.
>

Last question first: should you be concerned? No. The "check engine" light
is there to announce something wrong that affects emission control (although
several mfr's have piggybacked things like automatic transmission controller
codes onto it). As long as the engine seems to run okay, it is safe to drive
normally even with the check engine light on solidly. A few failures can
cause the engine to run so rich that the catalytic converter can be damaged
in long high speed hill climbs, but that's about the limit of it.

We can only guess why the light is momentarily coming on, but whatever it is
only annoys you at this point. My guess is it will eventually get worse so
the light stays on more and more, and then you can get it checked out. It
will be easier (cheaper) to repair when the indications stay there.

Mike


  Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 01:10   #4 (permalink)
Allan Shearer
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: V70 Engine Light comes on at acceleration ...

Cool! Thanks to both of you for your input on this.

Actually, I assume it's the 'engine check' light - as it does not actually
have any such text, but a little icon/image of an engine.

Great to know that it's not about to blow up! Indeed, I'll sit tight with
it and wait to see if it gets worse/more-steadily-ON ... and then take it to
my mechanic.

Thanks again.

Yours,

Allan Shearer


"Michael Pardee" <michaeltnull@cybertrails.com> wrote in message
news:pe-dnW1E_ptqqqnfRVn-3Q@sedona.net...
> Last question first: should you be concerned? No. The "check engine" light
> is there to announce something wrong that affects emission control
> (although several mfr's have piggybacked things like automatic
> transmission controller codes onto it). As long as the engine seems to run
> okay, it is safe to drive normally even with the check engine light on
> solidly. A few failures can cause the engine to run so rich that the
> catalytic converter can be damaged in long high speed hill climbs, but
> that's about the limit of it.
>
> We can only guess why the light is momentarily coming on, but whatever it
> is only annoys you at this point. My guess is it will eventually get worse
> so the light stays on more and more, and then you can get it checked out.
> It will be easier (cheaper) to repair when the indications stay there.
>
> Mike
>
>



  Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 09:01   #5 (permalink)
L David Matheny
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: V70 Engine Light comes on at acceleration ...

"Allan Shearer" <allan@REMOVEshearerREMOVE.ca> wrote in message news:h6YYd.1820$Ai3.28757@news20.bellglobal.com...
> Cool! Thanks to both of you for your input on this.
>
> Actually, I assume it's the 'engine check' light - as it does not
> actually have any such text, but a little icon/image of an engine.
>
> Great to know that it's not about to blow up! Indeed, I'll sit tight
> with it and wait to see if it gets worse/more-steadily-ON ... and
> then take it to my mechanic.
>
> Thanks again.
>
> Yours,
>
> Allan Shearer
>

My warning light that flashed on occasionally finally stayed
on long enough for me to get a good look at it. It wasn't the
alternator light, but rather the cooling system light. Apparently
when the coolant was changed recently, some air may have
been trapped in the system causing the level to drop later.
I added about half a pint of water, and the problem is fixed.


  Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 10:01   #6 (permalink)
Allan Shearer
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: V70 Engine Light comes on at acceleration ...

The next day after I posted this, the light behaved itself. Hasn't
flickered ON ever-since. So, I think it might just have been the fact that
I had just washed the car and likely got one of the belts wet, so the
alternator or other component was slipping.

Allan



"L David Matheny" <ldmnews1@netassoc.net> wrote in message
news:3air3jF6b8n40U1@individual.net...
> "Allan Shearer" <allan@REMOVEshearerREMOVE.ca> wrote in message
> news:h6YYd.1820$Ai3.28757@news20.bellglobal.com...
>> Cool! Thanks to both of you for your input on this.
>>
>> Actually, I assume it's the 'engine check' light - as it does not
>> actually have any such text, but a little icon/image of an engine.
>>
>> Great to know that it's not about to blow up! Indeed, I'll sit tight
>> with it and wait to see if it gets worse/more-steadily-ON ... and
>> then take it to my mechanic.
>>
>> Thanks again.
>>
>> Yours,
>>
>> Allan Shearer
>>

> My warning light that flashed on occasionally finally stayed
> on long enough for me to get a good look at it. It wasn't the
> alternator light, but rather the cooling system light. Apparently
> when the coolant was changed recently, some air may have
> been trapped in the system causing the level to drop later.
> I added about half a pint of water, and the problem is fixed.
>
>



  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > PAG Vehicle Discussion > Volvo



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:37.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.