Volvo 440 idle problem - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-08-06, 03:01 PM
shane
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Volvo 440 idle problem

Hi,
A few weeks ago on a cold morning the idle revs went down to about 500 then
up to 2000, and continued to pulse between the two. The problem went away
but has now reoccured, but as well as pulsing between 500 and 2000 rpm
it sometimes sticks at 2500 rpm. The engine is the 1.8 litre single point
injection unit, and after looking at the Haynes maual it appears to be the
B18U engine. Could it be the idle control motor?. any advice would be
appreciated.
Thankyou in advance.
Shane


 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-08-06, 04:01 PM
M-gineering
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Volvo 440 idle problem

shane wrote:
> Hi,
> A few weeks ago on a cold morning the idle revs went down to about 500 then
> up to 2000, and continued to pulse between the two. The problem went away
> but has now reoccured, but as well as pulsing between 500 and 2000 rpm
> it sometimes sticks at 2500 rpm. The engine is the 1.8 litre single point
> injection unit, and after looking at the Haynes maual it appears to be the
> B18U engine. Could it be the idle control motor?. any advice would be
> appreciated.
> Thankyou in advance.
> Shane

Check all connections to earth first, especially the one hidden below
the battery

--
---
Marten Gerritsen

INFOapestaartjeM-GINEERINGpuntNL
www.m-gineering.nl
 
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-09-06, 10:01 AM
Richard Carter
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Volvo 440 idle problem

I had this problem exactly on a 1.8 1995 440S - it had a new idle control
which mostly fixed the problem. Another thing to try (which my mum told me
after I'd spent a few hundred pounds on mechanics!) is to try "quality"
petrol rather than supermarket stuff. That makes a very big improvement.

Richard




"M-gineering" <ikmotgeenspam@m-gineering.nl> wrote in message
news:43C19600.2020609@m-gineering.nl...
> shane wrote:
>> Hi,
>> A few weeks ago on a cold morning the idle revs went down to about 500
>> then
>> up to 2000, and continued to pulse between the two. The problem went
>> away
>> but has now reoccured, but as well as pulsing between 500 and 2000 rpm
>> it sometimes sticks at 2500 rpm. The engine is the 1.8 litre single
>> point injection unit, and after looking at the Haynes maual it appears
>> to be the
>> B18U engine. Could it be the idle control motor?. any advice would be
>> appreciated.
>> Thankyou in advance.
>> Shane

> Check all connections to earth first, especially the one hidden below the
> battery
>
> --
> ---
> Marten Gerritsen
>
> INFOapestaartjeM-GINEERINGpuntNL
> www.m-gineering.nl



 
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-09-06, 04:01 PM
shane
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Volvo 440 idle problem

Richard Carter wrote:

> I had this problem exactly on a 1.8 1995 440S - it had a new idle control
> which mostly fixed the problem. Another thing to try (which my mum told me
> after I'd spent a few hundred pounds on mechanics!) is to try "quality"
> petrol rather than supermarket stuff. That makes a very big improvement.
>
> Richard


>> Check all connections to earth first, especially the one hidden below the
>> battery
>>
>> --
>> ---
>> Marten Gerritsen
>>
>> INFOapestaartjeM-GINEERINGpuntNL
>> www.m-gineering.nl


Thankyou for you advice, I have checked for any breaks in the wires to
the idle control motor, and for any earthing problems, and they are ok,
so I have purchased a new idle control motor which I will fit tomorrow.
I tend to use a mixture of branded fuel, and supermarket fuel to reduce
the risk of fuel problems.
Shane
 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > PAG Vehicle Discussion > Volvo


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome