Volvo Relays - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > PAG Vehicle Discussion > Volvo
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2005, 07:01   #1 (permalink)
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Volvo Relays

Mine is a 1991 Station Wagon, 740. 140K miles. I had a no-start several
days ago but it has started OK since. I suspected the fuel pump relay so I
pulled it and put it back in (presumably cleaning the contacts in the
process). The car has been fine since then. But I am worried about certain
relays. In the front row, the K relay (central locking?) is too hot to
touch; the J relay (window?) is quite hot (but not as hot as K), and the
fuel pump relay is quite warm. In Brickboard I have seen two views; "Volvo
relays are always hot", the other "A hot relay is a bad relay".

Does anyone have any views on this (the others are are only very slightly
warm or only ambient temperature)?

Thanks,

John


  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 08-06-2005, 01:01   #2 (permalink)
jg
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Volvo Relays


<jwjensen356@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
news:x3JIe.1648$sW1.571@newssvr23.news.prodigy.net...
> Mine is a 1991 Station Wagon, 740. 140K miles. I had a no-start several
> days ago but it has started OK since. I suspected the fuel pump relay so

I
> pulled it and put it back in (presumably cleaning the contacts in the
> process). The car has been fine since then. But I am worried about

certain
> relays. In the front row, the K relay (central locking?) is too hot to
> touch; the J relay (window?) is quite hot (but not as hot as K), and the
> fuel pump relay is quite warm. In Brickboard I have seen two views;

"Volvo
> relays are always hot", the other "A hot relay is a bad relay".
>
> Does anyone have any views on this (the others are are only very slightly
> warm or only ambient temperature)?
>

Dunno what is normal but I don't like hot electricals. I saw a suggestion to
drill some small holes in the casing... while it's off. I followed the
suggestion with a new fuel pump relay 8 months ago but who knows if it will
help? They did say 7 years was about normal lifespan for those (1980 265),
which doesn't sound very good - seems something shortens its life.


  Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005, 12:01   #3 (permalink)
James Sweet
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Volvo Relays


<jwjensen356@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
news:x3JIe.1648$sW1.571@newssvr23.news.prodigy.net...
> Mine is a 1991 Station Wagon, 740. 140K miles. I had a no-start several
> days ago but it has started OK since. I suspected the fuel pump relay so

I
> pulled it and put it back in (presumably cleaning the contacts in the
> process). The car has been fine since then. But I am worried about

certain
> relays. In the front row, the K relay (central locking?) is too hot to
> touch; the J relay (window?) is quite hot (but not as hot as K), and the
> fuel pump relay is quite warm. In Brickboard I have seen two views;

"Volvo
> relays are always hot", the other "A hot relay is a bad relay".
>
> Does anyone have any views on this (the others are are only very slightly
> warm or only ambient temperature)?
>



They're made by Bosch and have circuit boards inside. When they get old the
solder joints at the connector pins tend to crack and result in an
intermittant connection. If you know how to solder or know someone who does,
or feel like spending $15 on equipment and a few minutes practicing, it's
fairly easy to pop the cover off and resolder them.


  Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005, 12:01   #4 (permalink)
James Sweet
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Volvo Relays

> >
> Dunno what is normal but I don't like hot electricals. I saw a suggestion

to
> drill some small holes in the casing... while it's off. I followed the
> suggestion with a new fuel pump relay 8 months ago but who knows if it

will
> help? They did say 7 years was about normal lifespan for those (1980 265),
> which doesn't sound very good - seems something shortens its life.
>
>


If it's getting more than just a little warm, you've got a bad connection or
excessive load. I failing fuel pump will draw too much power and melt the
relay and connector. Also once the connector gets hot it oxidizes which
causes resistance and then more heat. I suggest checking the current draw of
the fuel pump, if it's pulling more than 10A it's probably worn out.


  Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005, 12:01   #5 (permalink)
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Volvo Relays

The car is a l991 and it did have fuel problems in 2000. The fuel pump was
then replaced and a new relay installed (date code 1999, made in Hungary).

I will replace the relays one at a time, starting at the hottest and see
what happens.

Thanks.
"jg" <jg@nospam.com> wrote in message
news:6qYIe.73147$oJ.71092@news-server.bigpond.net.au...
>
> <jwjensen356@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> news:x3JIe.1648$sW1.571@newssvr23.news.prodigy.net...
>> Mine is a 1991 Station Wagon, 740. 140K miles. I had a no-start several
>> days ago but it has started OK since. I suspected the fuel pump relay so

> I
>> pulled it and put it back in (presumably cleaning the contacts in the
>> process). The car has been fine since then. But I am worried about

> certain
>> relays. In the front row, the K relay (central locking?) is too hot to
>> touch; the J relay (window?) is quite hot (but not as hot as K), and the
>> fuel pump relay is quite warm. In Brickboard I have seen two views;

> "Volvo
>> relays are always hot", the other "A hot relay is a bad relay".
>>
>> Does anyone have any views on this (the others are are only very slightly
>> warm or only ambient temperature)?
>>

> Dunno what is normal but I don't like hot electricals. I saw a suggestion
> to
> drill some small holes in the casing... while it's off. I followed the
> suggestion with a new fuel pump relay 8 months ago but who knows if it
> will
> help? They did say 7 years was about normal lifespan for those (1980 265),
> which doesn't sound very good - seems something shortens its life.
>
>



  Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005, 13:01   #6 (permalink)
Boris Mohar
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Volvo Relays

On Sat, 06 Aug 2005 17:23:49 GMT, "James Sweet" <jamessweet@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>
><jwjensen356@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
>news:x3JIe.1648$sW1.571@newssvr23.news.prodigy.net...
>> Mine is a 1991 Station Wagon, 740. 140K miles. I had a no-start several
>> days ago but it has started OK since. I suspected the fuel pump relay so

>I
>> pulled it and put it back in (presumably cleaning the contacts in the
>> process). The car has been fine since then. But I am worried about

>certain
>> relays. In the front row, the K relay (central locking?) is too hot to
>> touch; the J relay (window?) is quite hot (but not as hot as K), and the
>> fuel pump relay is quite warm. In Brickboard I have seen two views;

>"Volvo
>> relays are always hot", the other "A hot relay is a bad relay".
>>
>> Does anyone have any views on this (the others are are only very slightly
>> warm or only ambient temperature)?
>>

>
>
>They're made by Bosch and have circuit boards inside. When they get old the
>solder joints at the connector pins tend to crack and result in an
>intermittant connection. If you know how to solder or know someone who does,
>or feel like spending $15 on equipment and a few minutes practicing, it's
>fairly easy to pop the cover off and resolder them.
>


This is what it can look like: http://www.viatrack.ca/Misc/badcon2.jpg


Regards,

Boris Mohar

Got Knock? - see:
Viatrack Printed Circuit Designs (among other things) http://www.viatrack.ca
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005, 13:01   #7 (permalink)
Randy G.
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Volvo Relays

"James Sweet" <jamessweet@hotmail.com> wrote:


>They're made by Bosch and have circuit boards inside. When they get old the
>solder joints at the connector pins tend to crack and result in an
>intermittant connection. If you know how to solder or know someone who does,
>or feel like spending $15 on equipment and a few minutes practicing, it's
>fairly easy to pop the cover off and resolder them.
>


Here's a link on an article I wrote, aimed at beginners, on how to
solder:
http://w6rec.com/duane/bmw/solder/


__ __
Randy & \ \/ /alerie's
\__/olvos
'90 245 Estate - '93 965 Estate
"Shelby" & "Kate"
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005, 13:01   #8 (permalink)
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Volvo Relays

Thanks, everyone, for great comments and suggestions. I'll do the
resoldering first (I'm well experienced) and will go from there.

John

"Boris Mohar" <borism_-void-_@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
news:66t9f1t96v5g1tvchf8t3m39oujogqtam0@4ax.com...
> On Sat, 06 Aug 2005 17:23:49 GMT, "James Sweet" <jamessweet@hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>>
>><jwjensen356@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
>>news:x3JIe.1648$sW1.571@newssvr23.news.prodigy.net...
>>> Mine is a 1991 Station Wagon, 740. 140K miles. I had a no-start
>>> several
>>> days ago but it has started OK since. I suspected the fuel pump relay
>>> so

>>I
>>> pulled it and put it back in (presumably cleaning the contacts in the
>>> process). The car has been fine since then. But I am worried about

>>certain
>>> relays. In the front row, the K relay (central locking?) is too hot to
>>> touch; the J relay (window?) is quite hot (but not as hot as K), and the
>>> fuel pump relay is quite warm. In Brickboard I have seen two views;

>>"Volvo
>>> relays are always hot", the other "A hot relay is a bad relay".
>>>
>>> Does anyone have any views on this (the others are are only very
>>> slightly
>>> warm or only ambient temperature)?
>>>

>>
>>
>>They're made by Bosch and have circuit boards inside. When they get old
>>the
>>solder joints at the connector pins tend to crack and result in an
>>intermittant connection. If you know how to solder or know someone who
>>does,
>>or feel like spending $15 on equipment and a few minutes practicing, it's
>>fairly easy to pop the cover off and resolder them.
>>

>
> This is what it can look like: http://www.viatrack.ca/Misc/badcon2.jpg
>
>
> Regards,
>
> Boris Mohar
>
> Got Knock? - see:
> Viatrack Printed Circuit Designs (among other things)
> http://www.viatrack.ca



  Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 07:01   #9 (permalink)
John Robertson
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Volvo Relays

what a brillant shot thank you

<jwjensen356@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
news:Gy7Je.40$A54.11@newssvr17.news.prodigy.com...
> Thanks, everyone, for great comments and suggestions. I'll do the
> resoldering first (I'm well experienced) and will go from there.
>
> John
>
> "Boris Mohar" <borism_-void-_@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> news:66t9f1t96v5g1tvchf8t3m39oujogqtam0@4ax.com...
>> On Sat, 06 Aug 2005 17:23:49 GMT, "James Sweet" <jamessweet@hotmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>
>>><jwjensen356@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
>>>news:x3JIe.1648$sW1.571@newssvr23.news.prodigy.net...
>>>> Mine is a 1991 Station Wagon, 740. 140K miles. I had a no-start
>>>> several
>>>> days ago but it has started OK since. I suspected the fuel pump relay
>>>> so
>>>I
>>>> pulled it and put it back in (presumably cleaning the contacts in the
>>>> process). The car has been fine since then. But I am worried about
>>>certain
>>>> relays. In the front row, the K relay (central locking?) is too hot to
>>>> touch; the J relay (window?) is quite hot (but not as hot as K), and
>>>> the
>>>> fuel pump relay is quite warm. In Brickboard I have seen two views;
>>>"Volvo
>>>> relays are always hot", the other "A hot relay is a bad relay".
>>>>
>>>> Does anyone have any views on this (the others are are only very
>>>> slightly
>>>> warm or only ambient temperature)?
>>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>They're made by Bosch and have circuit boards inside. When they get old
>>>the
>>>solder joints at the connector pins tend to crack and result in an
>>>intermittant connection. If you know how to solder or know someone who
>>>does,
>>>or feel like spending $15 on equipment and a few minutes practicing, it's
>>>fairly easy to pop the cover off and resolder them.
>>>

>>
>> This is what it can look like: http://www.viatrack.ca/Misc/badcon2.jpg
>>
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Boris Mohar
>>
>> Got Knock? - see:
>> Viatrack Printed Circuit Designs (among other things)
>> http://www.viatrack.ca

>
>



  Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 07:01   #10 (permalink)
Boris Mohar
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Volvo Relays

On Tue, 6 Sep 2005 22:16:58 +1000, "John Robertson" <johnnr@optusnet.com.au>
wrote:

>what a brillant shot thank you
>


It was taken with a digital camera held manually against the eyepiece of a
microscope. Microscope projects image at infinity so there is no trouble
with focusing. Anyone can do it.


Regards,

Boris Mohar

Got Knock? - see:
Viatrack Printed Circuit Designs (among other things) http://www.viatrack.ca
  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > PAG Vehicle Discussion > Volvo



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:44.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.