wheel hop? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > PAG Vehicle Discussion > Volvo
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2005, 10:01   #1 (permalink)
e
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
wheel hop?

1986 245 with power steering. I know that the struts need replacement and
tires are done for also. I've got 195/60/15 size tires on Virgo rims. When
I turn the car at full lock in either direction there seems to be what could
best be described as wheel hop. It feels as though the car wants to push
slightly forward instead of turning smoothly. I'm going to have all
bushings checked but I'm looking for any ideas you might have.


  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-14-2005, 16:01   #2 (permalink)
Peter K L Milnes
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: wheel hop?

I have very similar on my 945 and am about to replace all front bushings and
steering swivels. It only happens when steering is tight left. I suspect
that yours only happens on tight right (LHD). It is best to replace ALL
bushings and steering swivels to re-start on an even footing.

All the best, Peter.

700/900/90 Register Keeper,
Volvo Owners Club (UK).

"e" <i_roll_74_144@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:Ib-dnSRoaI1nV-XeRVn-hg@comcast.com...
> 1986 245 with power steering. I know that the struts need replacement and
> tires are done for also. I've got 195/60/15 size tires on Virgo rims.
> When I turn the car at full lock in either direction there seems to be
> what could best be described as wheel hop. It feels as though the car
> wants to push slightly forward instead of turning smoothly. I'm going to
> have all bushings checked but I'm looking for any ideas you might have.
>



  Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 19:01   #3 (permalink)
e
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: wheel hop?


"Peter K L Milnes" <Peter.K.L.Milnes@btinternet.com> wrote in message
news:dlb7nf$9jd$1@nwrdmz01.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com...
>I have very similar on my 945 and am about to replace all front bushings
>and steering swivels. It only happens when steering is tight left. I
>suspect that yours only happens on tight right (LHD).


Nope, it happens on both left and right turns.

>It is best to replace ALL bushings and steering swivels to re-start on an
>even footing.
>
> All the best, Peter.
>
> 700/900/90 Register Keeper,
> Volvo Owners Club (UK).


I'm planning on replacing with all poly bushings. What exactly do you mean
by "steering swivels"? If this helps I've noticed that it tends to handle
much the same way as my 144 did when it had a bad idler arm bushing. It
tends to dive and pull across ruts on the expressways. It is my
understanding that there is no idler arm on the rack and pinion steering
system. Is that correct? I was a little afraid that the rack might be on
its way out. What are the symptoms of that? If it helps, there is no noise
such as groaning, grinding, or squeaking that I can detect.
>



  Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 17:01   #4 (permalink)
Peter K L Milnes
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: wheel hop?

I am at the moment negotiating with the supplier of Superflex poly bushings.
The steering swivels are the ball joints at the bottom of the suspension
struts. Yes there is no idler arm on rack & pinion steering. The rack is
moved right and left and the steering knuckles are carried at the racks
extremities where the tracking adjustment is carried out. If you cannot
disturb the rack when moving the wheels with car on ground or the movement
produces no free play the rack should be fine.

All the best, Peter.

700/900/90 Register Keeper,
Volvo Owners Club (UK).

"e" <i_roll_74_144@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:sPudnUayfrX31uTeRVn-qQ@comcast.com...
>
> "Peter K L Milnes" <Peter.K.L.Milnes@btinternet.com> wrote in message
> news:dlb7nf$9jd$1@nwrdmz01.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com...
>>I have very similar on my 945 and am about to replace all front bushings
>>and steering swivels. It only happens when steering is tight left. I
>>suspect that yours only happens on tight right (LHD).

>
> Nope, it happens on both left and right turns.
>
>>It is best to replace ALL bushings and steering swivels to re-start on an
>>even footing.
>>
>> All the best, Peter.
>>
>> 700/900/90 Register Keeper,
>> Volvo Owners Club (UK).

>
> I'm planning on replacing with all poly bushings. What exactly do you
> mean by "steering swivels"? If this helps I've noticed that it tends to
> handle much the same way as my 144 did when it had a bad idler arm
> bushing. It tends to dive and pull across ruts on the expressways. It is
> my understanding that there is no idler arm on the rack and pinion
> steering system. Is that correct? I was a little afraid that the rack
> might be on its way out. What are the symptoms of that? If it helps,
> there is no noise such as groaning, grinding, or squeaking that I can
> detect.
>>

>
>



  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > PAG Vehicle Discussion > Volvo



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:44.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.